View Full Version : [ubuntu] Constant static sound

August 31st, 2008, 10:36 PM
I was having some issues with Skype (it gives me a "problem with audio playback" whenever I try to call someone) and a friend tried to look around on the Terminal to see what was up... he didn't find anything but now my speakers are constantly making static sound.

The only way I can turn them off is by going into the Volume Control and muting either the Master output or the Front output.

Alsamixer is not being very helpful because for some reasons it's only been displaying the Master output instead of all the outputs like it used to do before. (I think that particular change occurred when I followed the directions here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5587712&postcount=472) in order to fix a sound bug with Flash.)

Here is info on my hardware:

description: Audio device
product: SBx00 Azalia
vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
physical id: 14.2
bus info: pci@0000:00:14.2
version: 00
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=64 module=snd_hda_intel

Help would be greatly appreciated because the problem is awfully annoying.

August 31st, 2008, 10:42 PM
Solved. The microphone output was doing the static sound and I could see it in alsamixer or Volume Control so I couldn't bring the volume down.

I would still like to know how to visualize all the outputs in alsamixer again though.

September 1st, 2008, 12:10 AM
If you are talking about alsamixer in the terminal pressing the tab key changes the view.

September 1st, 2008, 12:12 AM
I've figured that out but whatever view I'm in I can only see Master and/or Capture. PCM, MIC, all the other stuff is never there.

September 1st, 2008, 12:46 AM
What about right clicking the speaker icon in the upper right hand corner and going to volume control then clicking edit preferences.

September 1st, 2008, 12:50 AM
I have a number of outputs selected there, but none of them are in alsamixer...