PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ubuntu on latitude D630

jamedadi
August 31st, 2008, 08:21 AM
Hi
I am very new to linux and I need some help. I have a latitude D630 which has a Intel(R) Core (TM) 2 Duo processors. Know I have tow questions :

1- what release of ubuntu I have to install? i386 version or 64x version?
2- Can anyone please get me a clear checklist for installing ubuntu 8.04? I have already installed Windows XP on drive C, and I want to install ubuntu in other drive (for example D)

Thanks a lot

elishock2420
September 2nd, 2008, 02:03 AM
I have a Latitude D630 running Ubuntu 8.04. What type of video and wireless card do you have? Do you have an space set aside for ubuntu?
Installation is pretty straight forward. If you have an nVidia card it can sometimes be tricky, install envy from add remove programs and run the nvidia install it makes setting up the proper drivers easy. If you have more questions I can try to answer them.

linux_tech
September 2nd, 2008, 03:35 AM
This guide explains the best how to install ubuntu 8.04 with XP already installed to dual boot. http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed _first.htm
If you have a core 2 then you should download the 64 bit version
http://releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/

Wolfhere
September 6th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I have a D620. I added another drive in my bay. I then used the wubi.exe to install to my 'addon' partition. Dual boot works great..and I agree whole heartedly...use EnvyNG (loaded through synaptic manager). Problems with video through the Dock though. Release 8.10 is just around the corner and is supposed to have some fixes for the Dell Dock included.

waffen
October 1st, 2008, 10:13 PM
are you sure? because I just installed Ubuntu 32 bits and works fine... whats the difference?

sbrbot
October 5th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Dell Inspirion D630 is 32-bit machine regardles of two CPU (dual core CPU). You should install Ubuntu 8.04 and it works perfectly well in this machine. Ubuntu will detect all hardware by default - that includes Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 wireless card, firewire connection, Nvidia graphic card in full 1440x900 resolution, etc. The only thing that is not detected by default is fingerprint reader but it can be setup easily using ThinkFinger driver that can be found in official hardy repository and work on linux as well.

waffen
October 5th, 2008, 07:52 AM
No, the Latitude D630 is a Core 2 Duo (64 b) so I must be install the Ubuntu 64 version...

Tweak42
November 5th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Core2 cpus can use 32 or 64bit.

I have a Latitude D630 and just took the leap and wiped my working 32bit 8.04 install partition of my hard drive (also have XP+Vista dual booting) and installed 64bit 8.10 ibex.

I went to 64bit because I upgraded to 4gb of memory just now and there appears very few reasons not to go 64bit. (see the 64bit forum for more current info)

Fixes I had to find:
I did not need to use ENVY for video drivers this time. I used the "Hardware Drivers" app and installed the Nvidia 173 (177 has bug keeping fan running 100%)
Needed to install gsynaptics and get it working as detailed here:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad#shmconfig

I'm still working on getting the fingerprint reader working again, but pretty happy that system working pretty well as the video drivers were a pain to get working just right last time.

waffen
November 5th, 2008, 05:49 AM
uhm...good tip about the cooler, I dont listen any because I use my laptop over a cooler base (3 funs running)...

I use here both Ubuntu:first 32bits and right now 64, and I see 64 is more fast. I could use all my programs: Java, Firefox, Eclipse, Skype, etc. some config problems but the life is not easy :p

Change my Nvidia dirver to 173 and in the next hours I can test if the cooler run everytime.

Mega_Mike
November 5th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I have a latitude D830 and installing 8.10 Intrepid was pretty simple with only a hiccup with getting the front microphone/audio capture to work with skype.

Step 1: Run gnome-volume-control from a terminal, select preferences and make 'capture' is checked. Then go back to the main control panel and make sure the volume is turned up on 'capture'. Lastly, go to 'options' and make sure 'front mic' is selected for both pulldowns.
Step 2: Open gnome-control panel and select sound preferences. Under capture select PulseAduio Sound Server. Also make sure you 'Default mixer tracks' is set to HDA-Intel (alsa mixer)

Lastly,
this is an old article, but its tweaks still old up today, especially for a Dell laptop. I have been using it to keep my system zippy since Ubuntu 7.04.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Optimize-Ubuntu-Feisty-Fawn-for-Speed-53836.shtml

Looking at the article for installing gsynaptics (for configuring the touchpad) that was mentioned by a previous poster is a huge help.

Plus installing the medibuntu repositories to install the 'non-free codecs' and skype make the multimedia experience on Ubuntu complete.
http://www.medibuntu.org/

waffen
November 5th, 2008, 06:41 PM
My mic not work, when I go to gnome-sound-recorder I allways see my mic disable, I make able, close the window, reopen and the mic is disable allways.

Another: when I open the gnome-volume-control I click Recorder and the counter start and move on and never stop.... any idea??

undoIT
January 4th, 2009, 09:25 PM
My mic not work, when I go to gnome-sound-recorder I allways see my mic disable, I make able, close the window, reopen and the mic is disable allways.

Another: when I open the gnome-volume-control I click Recorder and the counter start and move on and never stop.... any idea??

Internal mic is not working for me either on the Latitude D830. I don't see any options with a pull down for "front mic".

undoIT
January 5th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Okay. You need to also enable input source in volume control preferences to get at the internal mic. Now it is working.