PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB speakers

cipher99
August 31st, 2008, 04:46 AM
I have usb speakers and Hardy.
Following boot, "USB Audio (not connected)" appears on Pref/Sound/Devices. If I unplug and replug the speaker usb connector, a piece of Ubuntu login plays and then USB Audio is connected.

Is the usb driver not loading at boot? How to get it loaded at boot?

minky311
August 31st, 2008, 06:40 AM
Could you please post the output when you type the following in terminal

cat /proc/asound/modules

cipher99
August 31st, 2008, 03:31 PM
cat /proc/asound/modules returns
0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_usb_audio

This is after boot when Pref/Sound/Devices is showing "USB Audio (not connected) is displayed.

minky311
August 31st, 2008, 06:21 PM
Go into the terminal and type the following to change your default soundcard

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

Once there head down to the bottom of the text and change snd_usb_audio index=<some number here> to 0.

Then change snd_hda_intel index=<some number here> to 1.
Then exit by pressing control and x. It will then ask you what you would like to name it. Keep it how it is and press enter.
Reboot.

cipher99
August 31st, 2008, 09:56 PM
That would probably work if snd-usb-audio were still present. Now when I reboot and cat /proc/asound/modules, all I get is snd-hda-intel. How do I get snd-usb-audio to load as before?

minky311
August 31st, 2008, 11:12 PM
Have you tried

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

And then changing snd_usb_audio back to 1 and changing snd_hda_intel back to 0?

cipher99
August 31st, 2008, 11:23 PM
Yep, that's exactly what I did, and it works. Thanks. Actually I commented both lines out first and those were the priorities that got assigned so I entered them that way in alsa-base. Great now I have music.

Now about the system sounds...
I have not had system sounds at any point since connecting the usb speakers.

minky311
September 1st, 2008, 02:01 AM
I also have that problem of not being able to hear system sounds in system->preferences->sound and then going into sounds. Everything I try to play in there I can't hear. The only system sound I hear is when I first get to the login screen I hear bongos. I haven't found a solution yet.

erikthedrink
September 8th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I've got logitech usb speakers. In Terminal, type

asoundconf set-default-card 1

Then close and re-open your browser (Mozilla Firefox) or restart your system.
:P
Note, if you unplug your usb speakers, your laptop speakers will take over. In order to re-establish contact with the usb speakers, you will need to (plug them back in) restart the system.