PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I install Adobe Flash Player

ivann92
August 31st, 2008, 03:20 AM
What can I do to watch videos. For example, on Youtube,

minky311
August 31st, 2008, 03:34 AM
Go into the synaptic package manager by going to system->administration
and then search for adobe flash and check the adobe flash player for installation. Then apply it.

ivann92
August 31st, 2008, 03:44 AM
What do I do after that, do I still need to download the Flash Player. It still doesn't work.

minky311
August 31st, 2008, 03:50 AM
What exactly is happening?
And did you restart firefox?

ivann92
August 31st, 2008, 03:57 AM
Yes, I restarted Firefox and when I try to view a video on Youtube, this is the message that pops up
Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

There is a link to download the flash player, and when I do I don't know how to install it. I am new to Ubuntu.

aysiu
August 31st, 2008, 04:00 AM
Ignore what YouTube tells you to do and listen to what Firefox tells you to do.

More details (with screenshots) here:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/flash

mike1234
August 31st, 2008, 04:08 AM
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

M.

aysiu
August 31st, 2008, 04:16 AM

M.
That installs much more than just Adobe Flash Player.

You're also assuming ivann92 even knows where the terminal is to put that command.

mike1234
August 31st, 2008, 04:21 AM
That installs much more than just Adobe Flash Player.

You're also assuming ivann92 even knows where the terminal is to put that command.

It fixes any problems associated with media players, browser flash, and java errors. My bad for "assuming" I guess. You can search for it in Synaptic.

M.

ivann92
August 31st, 2008, 04:22 AM
Aysiu, I did what you told me to do, but I still cannot view videos on Youtube, but I went on another website with videos and downloaded the Flash Player.

aysiu
August 31st, 2008, 04:28 AM
Aysiu, I did what you told me to do, but I still cannot view videos on Youtube, but I went on another website with videos and downloaded the Flash Player.
Can you copy and paste these commands into the terminal (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/terminal) and then copy and paste the output back here?
cat /etc/lsb-release
uname -m
sudo updatedb
locate libflash
cat /etc/apt/sources.list
dpkg -s swfdec-mozilla
dpkg -s mozilla-plugin-gnash
dpkg -s flashplugin-nonfree Warning: the third command may take a minute or two to execute.

aysiu
August 31st, 2008, 04:30 AM
It fixes any problems associated with media players, browser flash, and java errors. My bad for "assuming" I guess. You can search for it in Synaptic.

M.
It doesn't really fix errors. It's a metapackage (or empty pointer to other real packages) composed of various multimedia packages, including flashplugin-nonfree, which is what Firefox installs if you follow the Install missing plugins drop-down menu after visiting a Flash page.

None of the other multimedia packages that ubuntu-restricted-extras will help you play Flash videos.

starcannon
August 31st, 2008, 04:30 AM

M.

+1 to this solution, it will get most media things sorted out and working.

mike1234
August 31st, 2008, 04:33 AM
It doesn't really fix errors. It's a metapackage (or empty pointer to other real packages) composed of various multimedia packages, including flashplugin-nonfree, which is what Firefox installs if you follow the Install missing plugins drop-down menu after visiting a Flash page.

None of the other multimedia packages that ubuntu-restricted-extras will help you play Flash videos.

I'm well aware of what it does.

M.

aysiu
August 31st, 2008, 04:33 AM
+1 to this solution, it will get most media things sorted out and working.
As far as playing Flash videos is concerned, it's no different from visiting a Flash page and following the Install missing plugins prompt.

The Install missing plugins prompt will install the flashplugin-nonfree package, which is the Adobe Flash Player.

ubuntu-restricted-extras is just a collection of various nonfree codecs:
#

flashplugin-nonfree
Adobe Flash Player plugin installer

#

rec: gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
FFmpeg plugin for GStreamer

#

rec: gstreamer0.10-pitfdll [i386]
GStreamer plugin for using MS Windows binary codecs

#

rec: gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set

#

rec: gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set (Multiverse Variant)

#

rec: gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
GStreamer plugins from the "ugly" set

#

rec: gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse
GStreamer plugins from the "ugly" set (Multiverse Variant)

#

rec: icedtea-gcjwebplugin
Java plugin based on IcedTea and gcjwebplugin

#

rec: libdvdread3
library for reading DVDs

#

rec: liblame0
LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder

#

rec: msttcorefonts
Installer for Microsoft TrueType core fonts
also a virtual package provided by ttf-liberation

#

rec: unrar
Unarchiver for .rar files (non-free version) If installing flashplugin-nonfree by itself doesn't work to play Flash, installing the metapackage that include flashplugin-nonfree isn't going to make much of a difference either.

mike1234
August 31st, 2008, 04:37 AM
As far as playing Flash videos is concerned, it's no different from visiting a Flash page and following the Install missing plugins prompt.

The Install missing plugins prompt will install the flashplugin-nonfree package, which is the Adobe Flash Player.

ubuntu-restricted-extras is just a collection of various nonfree codecs:
#

flashplugin-nonfree
Adobe Flash Player plugin installer

#

rec: gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
FFmpeg plugin for GStreamer

#

rec: gstreamer0.10-pitfdll [i386]
GStreamer plugin for using MS Windows binary codecs

#

rec: gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set

#

rec: gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set (Multiverse Variant)

#

rec: gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
GStreamer plugins from the "ugly" set

#

rec: gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse
GStreamer plugins from the "ugly" set (Multiverse Variant)

#

rec: icedtea-gcjwebplugin
Java plugin based on IcedTea and gcjwebplugin

#

rec: libdvdread3
library for reading DVDs

#

rec: liblame0
LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder

#

rec: msttcorefonts
Installer for Microsoft TrueType core fonts
also a virtual package provided by ttf-liberation

#

rec: unrar
Unarchiver for .rar files (non-free version) If installing flashplugin-nonfree by itself doesn't work to play Flash, installing the metapackage that include flashplugin-nonfree isn't going to make much of a difference either.

Then the "problem" would be elsewhere now wouldn't it? Not a plugin issue.

M.

aysiu
August 31st, 2008, 04:41 AM
Then the "problem" would be elsewhere now wouldn't it? Not a plugin issue.

M.
Exactly, which is why I wanted the OP to copy and paste all those commands in order to diagnose the problem.

I want to know exactly what relevant plugins have been installed, whether the processor is 64-bit or not, and if there are any locally installed plugins that may be overriding the package-manager-installed one(s).

mike1234
August 31st, 2008, 04:54 AM
Exactly, which is why I wanted the OP to copy and paste all those commands in order to diagnose the problem.

I want to know exactly what relevant plugins have been installed, whether the processor is 64-bit or not, and if there are any locally installed plugins that may be overriding the package-manager-installed one(s).

My synaptic only has 2 packages installed by doing a flash search. ubuntu-restricted-extras and flashplugin-nonfree. My position was simply that these 2 packages take care of all my java, flash and media player issues. I have had problems as a result of more than one flash plugin installed. (no flash playback at all) Hopefully he/she doesn't have more than one enabled.

M.

aysiu
August 31st, 2008, 06:11 AM
My synaptic only has 2 packages installed by doing a flash search. ubuntu-restricted-extras and flashplugin-nonfree. Which is really just one package, since ubuntu-restricted-extras isn't a real package. It just lists a bunch of other packages, including flashplugin-nonfree.
My position was simply that these 2 packages take care of all my java, flash and media player issues. And my position is simply that if the OP has flashplugin-nonfree installed and it's not working, installing all those other multimedia packages won't make Flash work either.
I have had problems as a result of more than one flash plugin installed. (no flash playback at all) Hopefully he/she doesn't have more than one enabled. I agree. That's why I gave the OP all those commands to paste into the terminal. The output will help me determine if there are conflicting plugins.

MeowMoo
August 31st, 2008, 06:33 AM
I had the same problem but downloading from Adobe's site did it for me.

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoid=BUIGP

Install the tar.gz one and follow these instructions: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/instructions/

Hope I helped. :KS