PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Have an OPtiPlex GX1 and can't get sound to work

canadiancritter
August 31st, 2008, 12:19 AM
I used to have Windows XP on my computer and the sound worked just fine with it. Then I had some problems with the system, so a few days ago I nuked it and installed Ubuntu. Now the sound won't work.
I tore my computer apart yesterday to try and find the sound card, only to discover it's built in to the motherboard. I have searched high and low for any sort of solution and I can't find one.

I guess what I would like to know is, are the any Linux sound drivers for a Dell OptiPLex GX1 450M+ or do I need a different solution, like getting a newer computer?

hgh9mrp
August 31st, 2008, 01:11 AM
I guess what I would like to know is, are the any Linux sound drivers for a Dell OptiPLex GX1 450M+ or do I need a different solution, like getting a newer computer?

There other solutions. I have a Dell GX1 350+ loaded with Xubuntu 8.04. The GX1 models have a Crystal audio chip on the mainboard.

If you follow the link below and look about halfway down it will tell you how to configure your GX1 for sound -

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToSetupSoundCards

You might also consider buying a budget priced sound card. The GX1 has both ISA and PCI slots. You probably can't find a new ISA sound card, but you might be able to find a used one at your local PC salvage yard. On the other hand, you can probably buy a new PCI sound card for less than $25.

Have fun, live long, and prosper.

canadiancritter
September 2nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
Hey, thanks so much! That was really helpful. I'm almost there, except now my computer is locking me out of it...so I just gotta figure a way around that, and then I think I will be good.

Hope you have a great day! :)

n2stc
December 15th, 2008, 02:53 AM
This fixed it for me! Thanks!