PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Amarok + iPod

.Garrett
August 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I have an old 30GB iPod video - I just installed Amarok, and I have a couple questions:

1. How can I set amarok as the default for when i plug in my iPod instead of rythmbox?
and
2. How can I rip my music from my iPod to ubuntu?

mc4man
August 30th, 2008, 09:04 PM
First
Is your ipod currently configured in amarok? In other words with the ipod mounted can you open Amarok and manually connect to the ipod correctly? (see your music folders in left side box

If so setting Amarok as default player is quite easy, if not than setting as default will be of no value.

By default i mean when you plug in the ipod, Amarok starts up and auto connects.

.Garrett
August 31st, 2008, 08:28 PM
When I plug in the iPod, Amarok won't open - Rythmbox does. If I open Amarok manually, however, I can connect to the iPod.

mc4man
August 31st, 2008, 09:40 PM
If I open Amarok manually, however, I can connect to the iPod.
Then this should work (does here

Due to needing a different launch comm. than the default one for Amarok and another issue you can't set Amarok directly. Instead you'll use an existing choice for default music player and direct it's launch command to run a script calling Amarok in a proper manner. Very easy to do and reversible if desired.

Here's the method, read/do post #5 first, any questions ask before doing, follow exactly with copy and paste where possible. (really a piece of cake

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5562637#post5562637

dmurat
September 4th, 2008, 09:46 PM
just remove the rhytmbox application?
by the way, i have another question. which one would you prefer? i dont want to try both, just want to go with one of them..