PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Audacity always starts jackd and a second, zombified instance.

scotty64
August 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I cannot get Audacity to work properly on Hardy. The oddest thing is that it ALWAYS starts jackd and initiates a second, zombified instance of Audacity. Nothing (recording / playback) works until I kill this jackd manually. It does not matter if I configure Audacity to use ALSA or OSS, I even deleted the .audacity* directories from my home - it is always starting jackd and the Zombie process.
My question is: where does audacity start jackd and how can I disable that (without uninstalling jackd, because I need it)?
I have reverted to Audacity 1.2.6 for now...

TheMusicGuy
October 17th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I've been having this exact same problem. Apparently it arises from JACK swiping access to the sound system for itself before Audacity gets a chance, resulting in Audacity scratching its head trying to figure out what to do.

As you said, removing Jackd is not really an option since so many things need it. I suggest telling Audacity to use JACK for both input and output via the preferences menu. If that does not work at first (i.e. Audacity says it can't connect or sound output is really bad) you may need to fool around with JACK options using qjackctl. Use
sudo apt-get install qjackctl to install that if you don't have it already. Start it with
qjackctl on the command line. It should not require root privelages.

I wanted to point you to the tutorial that helped me solve this problem but I can't find it...what I have above is from memory. It's very possible that I've forgotten something, but try it anyway.

markbuntu
October 17th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Or you can just use ardour which is fully integrated into jack. It was written by the same people.