PDA

View Full Version : Sigs 'n' Tags

ubuntu-freak
August 30th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Can anyone explain why a users signature disappears from a post (for good) when the post is edited several times?

Also, would it be possible for tags to be displayed above the thread title? That way, the title won't be all squished when there are a number of tags.

LaRoza
August 30th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Can anyone explain why a users signature disappears from a post (for good) when the post is edited several times?

Also, would it be possible for tags to be displayed above the thread title? That way, the title won't be all squished when there are a number of tags.

Just a theme glitch. The thanks also seem to be hidden during edits, but they seem to come back (visibility wise, they are always there)

I think there is no way around it. There is too much happening down there.

If a thread has too many tags, you can report it and ask for some to be pruned if needed.

ubuntu-freak
August 30th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Any ideas why the sigs don't come back, unlike the "Thanks" details, when you edit a post a certain number of times? I'm only mentioning it incase there is a way to make sure it comes back. My sig has long since disappeared from my howto.

Not sure what you meant about the tags. Is it not possible to change how they are displayed? Or is it dictated by the vBulletin sofware only? Just thought it would be neater if they were positioned immediately above the thread title.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm whinging, I'm just curious about the sigs, and had an idea about the tags.

Thanks.

LaRoza
August 30th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Any ideas why the sigs don't come back, unlike the "Thanks" details, when you edit a post a certain number of times? I'm only mentioning it incase there is a way to make sure it comes back. My sig has long since disappeared from my howto.

I am not sure. Could you link to your howto? Perhaps there is a difference in how other people see it?

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm whinging, I'm just curious about the sigs, and had an idea about the tags.

I think the forum tries to have a lot of information in a restricted space and I think we will have to deal with possible conflicts like this. I don't have the ability to do anything about it (except possibly removing extra tags).

ubuntu-freak
August 30th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I am not sure. Could you link to your howto? Perhaps there is a difference in how other people see it?

Sure, I meant this howto (ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683), which stopped displaying my sig, as did the post I made directly below it, which I used to test certain things out before returning it to its original state. I suspect the sig disappears once you edit a post multiple times, but that seems strange.

Edit 21

Oldsoldier2003
August 30th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Sure, I meant this howto (ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683), which stopped displaying my sig, as did the post I made directly below it, which I used to test certain things out before returning it to its original state. I suspect the sig disappears once you edit a post multiple times, but that seems strange.

Edit 2

That does seem strange indeed. I notice you are counting edits- good idea its a start in figuring out the bug:)

Canis familiaris
August 30th, 2008, 06:31 PM
It is possible you unchecked "Show your signature" by mistake. No?

Nice HOWTO BTW.

EDIT: See I have disabled my sig.

Oldsoldier2003
August 30th, 2008, 06:33 PM
It is possible you unchecked "Show your signature" by mistake. No?

Nice HOWTO BTW.

EDIT: See I have disabled my sig.

changing you sig or disabling it is global though. it affects all your posts the pages are dynamically generated...

Canis familiaris
August 30th, 2008, 06:41 PM
changing you sig or disabling it is global though. it affects all your posts the pages are dynamically generated...

Yes. But I did not really modify my sig. I only disabled my sig for thiat thread.

See this post has my sig.

Oldsoldier2003
August 30th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Yes. But I did not really modify my sig. I only disabled my sig for thiat thread.

See this post has my sig.

ah I misunderstood what you meant. point taken.

ubuntu-freak
August 30th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Well, I'm at a loss. I've edited the post above 21 times and the sig hasn't turned itself off. I don't see how I could have accidently unticked the option from the two posts in my howto thread. Plus, my original howto lost its sig too. There are more examples, but I don't know where the posts are.

It's not a very troublesome bug though, so nevermind.

Joeb454
August 30th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Check the how-to again ;)

It seems you had somehow unticked (or the forum had done so on your behalf :confused:) the "Show your Signature" box

ubuntu-freak
August 31st, 2008, 01:28 AM
Check the how-to again ;)

It seems you had somehow unticked (or the forum had done so on your behalf :confused:) the "Show your Signature" box

Ah thanks, forgot about that one, I only re-ticked the post below it.

Yeah, I think the forum software does untick it sometimes, but I'm not sure exactly what causes it. Not a big deal though, I should get my priorities sorted out... ;)