PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video Resolution

i3igi3yrd
August 30th, 2008, 02:53 AM
OK, so I've upgraded my video card and updated the video drivers via automatic download through the manager. The only problem i'm having is that the resolution its throwing up is too high for my TV and the other CRT monitor i have available.
Is there a "safe mode" way to boot to set the resolution to a default low res?

Pumalite
August 30th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Try Recovery Mode and use 'xfix'

i3igi3yrd
August 30th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Can you elaborate on "recovery mode"?

My first linux experience was about 5 days ago.

i3igi3yrd
August 30th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I now get a screen of qhite snow that flashes as it (I assume) loads all the files for the OS and then shoots a blank screen. The Monitor doesnt go to sleep, so I'm not thinking that its messed up too badly.

It's a PCI radeon x1300.

overdrank
August 30th, 2008, 03:53 AM
I now get a screen of qhite snow that flashes as it (I assume) loads all the files for the OS and then shoots a blank screen. The Monitor doesnt go to sleep, so I'm not thinking that its messed up too badly.

It's a PCI radeon x1300.

HI and I believe that Pumalite was suggesting the xfix option in recovery mode which is usually the second choice when booting from the grub.

Moved :)

i3igi3yrd
August 30th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Will that make a difference if it is done with the card out? I cant see anything at this point with the card in the system except for snow

overdrank
August 30th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Will that make a difference if it is done with the card out? I cant see anything at this point with the card in the system except for snow

Hi and yes that will make a difference. If you get no video with the card installed then you may look at disabling the onboard graphics in bios. Has the card worked at all since installed? Are you sure the card is working condition?

i3igi3yrd
August 30th, 2008, 04:34 PM
The card is a working card (I just pulled it from a windows based PC). So, I should remove the card, and try the recovery?

The thing I dont understand is that it was working fine before I installed the driver in Ubuntu. When I rebooted, it went straight to out of range. After another reboot, its just snow from post.

i3igi3yrd
August 30th, 2008, 06:08 PM
update:
I can assume that since it wasn't running right from post, that there was an issue with the connection of the card. Now that I've reseeded the card and got back into ubuntu (I did run the xfix like you instructed which got me back to a manageable resolution) I am back to my first issue...

Periodically (about every 5-30 seconds) it will flash black and then reload.

There is no rhyme or reason as to what makes it flash. sometimes I'll be moving the mouse, sometimes it'll happen when I'm typing. Then it will happen when I'm just sitting here. :confused::confused::confused:help!!

Thanks again for all the help thus far!

Edit: I've turned off all the visual effects as well. So, I'm at a loss - which isnt saying much from my lack of experience in this OS. =\