PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No offense but. . .openSUSE 11: XPS 1530

slabix
August 30th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I just wanted to share this and realize that it might make Ubuntu loyalists angry, but I swear I'm not trolling or trying to start a fight in any way.

I am happily using Hardy Heron on a couple of desktops, but for some reason it's been buggy as heck on my XPS 1530. I'm having all kinds of suspend and hibernate issues, as well as hd parking stuff, evolution has been very glitchy with my exchange server (and on and on). I've found some workarounds, but none make me completely happy.

This week, I've installed openSUSE 11 on my 1530, and it's been a much, much more successful install than than anything I've experienced with Ubuntu in the last couple of months.

This is not to bash Ubuntu. As I've said before, I'm very happy with it on my other machines, I just wanted to post this as a suggestion for people who've been wanting to switch their 1530 from the dreadful Vista to a Linux distro of some sort.

My unsolicited $.02. Apologies if this is badly placed. . .only trying to help.

jwalker
September 3rd, 2008, 04:48 PM
It's cool bro I have not had any issues with Ubuntu on my 1530 (well, not many, and that doesn't count the 64 birt version, that has issues).

But it does seem that people using the same model laptop have a range of issues, many of which don't happen to other users of the same laptop.

Saying OpenSUSE is better on your machine is all good, but ultimately it would be worht posting such a thing on a SUSE forum.

What I would be interested in hearing, is in what ways specifically SUSE has performed better than Ubuntu on your 1530.

Cheers!

putz3000
September 3rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
ya I have no problems with you expressing a good install of linux even if it is not ubuntu. But I too would like to know the differences.

jespdj
September 3rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
Ubuntu 8.04 runs great on my XPS M1530. I had some minor things, but nothing that was really hard to fix.

See my page: Ubuntu on the Dell XPS M1530 (http://jesperdj.pbwiki.com/Ubuntu-on-the-Dell-XPS-M1530)

Why are you being so apologetic about using something else than Ubuntu? Ubuntu is not a religion, you know. Use whatever OS fits you best.

narenvenkat
November 10th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I just wanted to share this and realize that it might make Ubuntu loyalists angry, but I swear I'm not trolling or trying to start a fight in any way.

I am happily using Hardy Heron on a couple of desktops, but for some reason it's been buggy as heck on my XPS 1530. I'm having all kinds of suspend and hibernate issues, as well as hd parking stuff, evolution has been very glitchy with my exchange server (and on and on). I've found some workarounds, but none make me completely happy.

This week, I've installed openSUSE 11 on my 1530, and it's been a much, much more successful install than than anything I've experienced with Ubuntu in the last couple of months.

This is not to bash Ubuntu. As I've said before, I'm very happy with it on my other machines, I just wanted to post this as a suggestion for people who've been wanting to switch their 1530 from the dreadful Vista to a Linux distro of some sort.

My unsolicited $.02. Apologies if this is badly placed. . .only trying to help.

hi
i am having xps 1530 as well ,can u tell me how to install open suse

ralphaw
June 11th, 2009, 07:47 PM
[quote=jespdj;5721178]Ubuntu 8.04 runs great on my XPS M1530. I had some minor things, but nothing that was really hard to fix.

I have a question. Being a Newbie (in the extreme sense of the word) my daughter has an XPS M1530 as well, the number of problems she has encountered with Vista Home Prem. have caused multiple reloads. She is interested in converting to Ubuntu but there are several programs she purchased with the unit that she would like to keep, most of them Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premier Elements.

Can those programs be run utilizing wine ( I read that in another post) or an instance of Vista via VMware be the better option. A recent purchase of a Digital camera has started eating away at disk space. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ralphaw

jeebustrain
June 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM
depending on the versions - you should be able to install both with Wine. Check the appdb to make sure - http://appdb.winehq.org/

I run an old (v7) version of Photoshop just fine on both Ubuntu and OpenSUSE without any problems.

slambrick
June 12th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I have a question. Being a Newbie (in the extreme sense of the word) my daughter has an XPS M1530 as well, the number of problems she has encountered with Vista Home Prem. have caused multiple reloads. She is interested in converting to Ubuntu but there are several programs she purchased with the unit that she would like to keep, most of them Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premier Elements.

Can those programs be run utilizing wine ( I read that in another post) or an instance of Vista via VMware be the better option. A recent purchase of a Digital camera has started eating away at disk space. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ralphaw

Try using Alternatives instead Like Gimp for Photoshop. There are many video editors out there but you do need to try them. Once Ubuntu is installed (or Suse) you need to look at either the add remove programs item to see whats there or look in the Synaptic package manager (under system / administration) many stuff runs under wine but virtualising something heavy like a video editor could run very slowly

Cheers
SteveL:)

ralphaw
June 12th, 2009, 09:40 PM
To Slambrick

What would be a good recommendation for Video editing and creation? (via Ubuntu)