PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help installing KDE along with Gnome in ubuntu 8.04

ranjithnair
August 29th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I am planning to install kde along with gnome provided with ubuntu..can anybody tell whether there will be any problem by doing so....and how to install it...:popcorn:

mirchichamu
August 29th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I am planning to install kde along with gnome provided with ubuntu..can anybody tell whether there will be any problem by doing so....and how to install it...:popcorn:

There will be no problem. You can switch any time. Go to synaptic package manager and search for KDE Desktop and mark for installation.

Shazaam
August 29th, 2008, 02:39 PM
You have two choices. Either install kubuntu-desktop or kubuntu-kde4-desktop through the Synaptic Package Manager. First (to get almost everthing related to kde) open Synaptic, go to Settings>Preferences. On the General tab make sure "Consider recommended packages as dependencies" is checked. Click Apply, then click the reload button. After that choose whichever version of kubuntu desktop you want to install. Since this installs a lot of files it is best (but not required) to have a high speed internet connection.
Once you have everthing installed, when you get to your login screen go to Sessions and choose KDE.
As far as I know most of the bugs in KDE4 have been fixed so you should be ok.