PDA

View Full Version : tabbed nautilus?

earobinson
November 15th, 2005, 04:35 AM
I guess this post is for gnome only, I recently tryed kde and still can not stand it so that is out of the options.

But i was sitting at my computer today, and i have tabbed browsing (firefox), tabbed IM (gaim), tabbed terminal (gnome-terminal) where are the tabbed folders?

I did some searching and couldent find ne, So what do you guys think, tabbed folders good or bad? Or did i just miss them?

qalimas
November 15th, 2005, 04:49 AM
I miss them too, one of the only things I miss from KDE... that and I'd like an option to swtich from this new style of folder bar to the classic address bar that I can type things into.

23meg
November 15th, 2005, 04:54 AM
and I'd like an option to swtich from this new style of folder bar to the classic address bar that I can type things into.
You have that option in gconf; /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_location_entry .

earobinson
November 15th, 2005, 07:35 AM
yup, but no tabs eh? thats just to bad, it really makes sence one tab per desktop in my mind, and the ability to move a tab out to a dif desktop would be perfect!

bored2k
November 15th, 2005, 07:38 AM
I agree. It's one of the reasons why I respect Konqueror.

Burgundavia
November 15th, 2005, 10:11 AM
AFAIK, nautilus is unlikely to gain a tabbed interface anytime soon. If someone codes it, it might get in.

Corey

egon spengler
November 15th, 2005, 11:17 AM
You can tab windows with fluxbox, it might be possible to use flux to replace metacity and obtain the tabbing feature

bionnaki
November 15th, 2005, 11:46 AM
yup, tabs would be great...I dont see myself switching to kde or fluxbox or whatever. I like gnome, so I guess I'll have to wait...

earobinson
November 15th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Well I was just kinda hopeing some one would call me stupid and be like look that feature is right there. maybe it would be cool if nautilus supported plugins, i would me much more comfterable (SP?) to write a plugin than edit the source. I dont see my self switching because the rest of gnome IMHO is just way better than anything else out there.

I respect kde also, but to me it will always be linux for cartoons

ssam
November 15th, 2005, 05:28 PM
the new location buttons work sort of like tabs. if you could drag and drop files to them then that would satisfy all my needs (well that and world peace and i'd be happy).

earobinson
November 15th, 2005, 05:31 PM
really, I will have to check that out, as for now I use the tree view on the rhs and the text location bar because I like to be able to edit it fast.

I understand that there are many workarounds I was Just intrested if anyone knows of a program that will work like nautilus with tabs because tabs are the bomb!

seguso
January 16th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Nautilus' history panel seems to remove the need for tabs: if you need to quickly switch between a bunch of folders, you can find them on top of the history.

Indeed this seems better than tabs, because tabs must be managed manually, whereas the history automatically updates itself, keeping the most used folders on top.

earobinson
January 16th, 2006, 03:58 PM
This is a good point, But im sure as all the admins can point out im very pickey about my UI. I have an idea of what I want and then I go after It. Nautilus to me seems to be getting a bit clunky, maybe I will switch file browsers. Or maybe try again to make the jump to kde since aperntly kde has the features I want.

Before I do this Ill try the histroy side bar, but Im thinking I will miss my tree sidebar.

Thanks for all the helpfull posts guys, and I hope my post was taken in the spirit it was aimed at. This is not a feature request just a anyone know a quick work around. But Im going to have to check out the tabs in kde. IMO tabs would put the linux (mainly kde) UI leaps and bounds in front of windows. All the windows lovers I know would also like tabed folders.

maruchan
January 16th, 2006, 09:33 PM
You might find something closer to what you want here:

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Utilities/File_Managers/

There are a lot of links there for file managers with different capabilities. Somehow I manage to get by without tabs in Nautilus, although I do use them when I've got Konqueror open.

prizrak
January 16th, 2006, 09:58 PM
You can tab windows with fluxbox, it might be possible to use flux to replace metacity and obtain the tabbing feature
Fluxbox cannot be used as a WM in Gnome or at the very least I was unsuccessfull getting it to work like that.

_Stevie_
January 26th, 2008, 01:19 AM
wow after 2 years still no tab-support in nautilus.

zekopeko
January 26th, 2008, 02:03 AM
http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net/

it's GTK+.

_Stevie_
January 26th, 2008, 04:26 AM
yep zekopeko, thanks, i know this app.
but im wondering why the gnome team is ignoring such
a great thing as tabbing.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 26th, 2008, 05:17 AM
GNOME has never been big on tabs, because GNOME is aiming at simple consistency. Tabs are bad for consistency, overcomplicate both development and the end user experience, and are ultimately slowing innovation in windowed UI design ;)

I'll be the first to admit: I am crazy. Still, not a fan of tabs. Tabbing systems tend to be rather inadequate compared to the features we come to expect from the global window management technologies (as we gain from systems like Compiz, Fluxbox or even the GNOME wnck panel applets). It is rare that one implements everything that we gain from the existing infrastructures, and even less likely - nay, impossible! - that an application-specific tabbing system will act in a predictable manner no matter which environment it gets dumped in.
Thus, we have two systems that must be maintained where there should be just one. The little, application-specific tabbing system with low privileges has to keep running to keep up with expected conventions of the window management infrastructure it belongs in, always a step behind and confusing the heck out of end users who want the different window management systems to all act the same way.
One of them should not be.

_Stevie_
January 26th, 2008, 05:21 AM
yeah of course! and a gui in general is a bad thing ;)
got your point :guitar:

bufsabre666
January 26th, 2008, 05:28 AM
yeah of course! and a gui in general is a bad thing ;)
got your point :guitar:

LOVE LIVE THE CLI!

_Stevie_
January 26th, 2008, 05:37 AM
i love both! :)

yatt
January 26th, 2008, 08:59 AM
You have that option in gconf; /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_location_entry .
Or you could click the button in any Nautilus window beside the where the address bar would be with the pencil and paper....

lambono
April 10th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Would be great to have a tabbed option

Onyros
April 10th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Would be great to have a tabbed optionTry PCManFM. You won't regret it :)

lambono
April 10th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Yep, have just installed it... looks great

kidux
April 10th, 2008, 04:27 PM
http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net/

it's GTK+.

Try PCManFM. You won't regret it :)

My problem is that Thunar doesn't handle network browsing without a workaround (that I couldn't get to work). Does this one do network browsing? How well does it integrate into XFCE?

Hells_Dark
April 10th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I just try PCManFM. It's really great ! But i'll stay with nautilus because :
* there are no video thumbnails
* all picture thumbnails are not displayed
* you can't have personalised icons for folders (i mean icons that are not in your icon theme)
* picture thumbnail are too small unless you set the icon size to a big size (then, it does not look good)

Too bad, it had such a really nice gui !