PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Advantages / Disadvantages of KDE / Gnome

fballem
August 29th, 2008, 01:01 AM
The only application that I have really missed since I switched from Windows is Visio. I have been using ubuntu 100% since mid-May of this year. I generally like the Gnome interface.

In fairness, I have also heard some very good things about KDE and I'm thinking of giving Kubuntu a try. I do have a couple of specific concerns:

I'm using Evolution for e-mail, contacts, and calendar. What would I be using in KDE and how do I convert all of my stuff?
Open Office - specifically Writer and Calc. How well do these work in KDE? I may eventually do some work in KWord, but I gather that it does not fully open Microsoft Word files, which is a key requirement.
Development - how do Eclipse and Netbeans work, or are there other tools that are better in KDE?

Is there anything else that I need to be aware of. I did install Kubuntu briefly - hated the size of the clock in the lower right hand corner. By that time, I was getting comfortable with Gnome, and figured I'd better get comfortable with something.

I'm thinking of using Kivio and thought that I would also explore other KDE based programs at the same time.

SonicSteve
August 29th, 2008, 01:18 AM
As far as points 1 and 2 go. I know that Open office will work in KDE no problem at all. KDE starts with different apps as it's defaults but most apps I've tried work well in either Gnome or KDE. I believe that Evolution will also work in KDE though I've never tried it. I've always installed thunderbird and prefered it.

I've tried both and I always come back to Gnome. I prefer Nautilus to Konqueror or Dolphin. I like the menus in Gnome much better also. KDE isn't bad it's just different.

Lastly I can't explain anything about your 3rd question.

Crafty Kisses
August 29th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I've never had any problems programming with Eclipse or NetBeans for that matter both work really flawlessly.

Zorael
August 30th, 2008, 03:45 PM
All Gnomey programs will work under KDE and vice-versa. The only thing that will differ is the environment itself; panels, desktop manager, environment-specific settings, etc. Use what you like. :>

Also, the KDE panel (kicker) is resizable, so you can slim it down as much as you want until you reach the icon size limit (24?). Right-click, Configure Panel (unless it's locked, if so unlock first in the same popup), Size. I set mine to custom: 56 to get three rows of running tasks displayed, though if you put it at tiny it'll be as slim as your Gnome one.