PDA

View Full Version : What is The Classy-est looking linux distro you have ever seen?

kelinu
August 28th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Hi,

I'd love to hear your opinion on what is the classy-est, most good looking distro you have come across. I'd love to see some real good looking distros!

Thanks for any answers :)

snowpine
August 28th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I like the current version of Crunchbang. It's theme is entirely black and white, classy like a tuxedo! (or a penguin in a tuxedo)

I am also a big fan of the Fluxbuntu theme. The color pallette is gorgeous (in my opinion; I know some people don't like it).

Dragonbite
August 28th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Personally, I think the openSUSE distribution (running KDE) is one of the best looking ones out there. They have a good color scheme that is light, plus window decoration and fonts that are very clean and easy to read.

If Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) could take the strong underpinnings that Ubuntu is known for, add in a sprinkle of openSUSE's hardware detection (slightly better than Ubuntu's, but not by much) and tweaked the interface to the degree that openSUSE has I think it could knock the socks off of Windows or OS X.

lyceum
August 28th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Dreamlinux. For some reason the best looking distro seem to come from South America IMHO.

Crafty Kisses
August 28th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I really though LinuxMint was classy.

exploder
August 29th, 2008, 01:11 AM
+1 for LinuxMint 5 Main Edition.

rivenought
August 29th, 2008, 01:29 AM
+ 2 for LinuxMint. You have to see it to believe it. Fantastic!

SuperSonic4
August 29th, 2008, 01:32 AM
suse, mandriva or mint

gimphoto
August 29th, 2008, 01:40 AM
+3 for Linux Mint Elyssa, really classy and beautiful (^__^)=b

irrdev
August 29th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Personally, I think the openSUSE distribution (running KDE) is one of the best looking ones out there. They have a good color scheme that is light, plus window decoration and fonts that are very clean and easy to read.

If Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) could take the strong underpinnings that Ubuntu is known for, add in a sprinkle of openSUSE's hardware detection (slightly better than Ubuntu's, but not by much) and tweaked the interface to the degree that openSUSE has I think it could knock the socks off of Windows or OS X.

I totally concur. I am really looking forward to what later versions of the openSUSE 11 series will look like - KDE 4.2 + openSUSE should be really cool. I must admit that Fedora 8 also looks quite polished, although I find that Fedora 9 doesn't have the same edge.

Funnily enough, nobody in this thread has chosen Ubuntu. Shouldn't this say something? I really think that Ubuntu's Brown/Orange choice of theme colors isn't very popular. I wish the Ubuntu developers would get over the "Ubuntu looks like Africa" idea. Anybody who has actually traveled to Africa will realize that it there is also plenty of green and, along the coastline, also ocean blue. If Ubuntu was to rival openSUSE's artwork, I could see many more Windows/Mac users being enticed to try Linux out. As it is, either OS X or Vista look a far sight nicer than Ubuntu. And whatever developers say, first impressions do count. :wink:

Crafty Kisses
August 29th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I really can't wait for the next release of openSUSE they always look good, not as good as Ubuntu though. :)

kelinu
August 29th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I totally concur. I am really looking forward to what later versions of the openSUSE 11 series will look like - KDE 4.2 + openSUSE should be really cool. I must admit that Fedora 8 also looks quite polished, although I find that Fedora 9 doesn't have the same edge.

Funnily enough, nobody in this thread has chosen Ubuntu. Shouldn't this say something? I really think that Ubuntu's Brown/Orange choice of theme colors isn't very popular. I wish the Ubuntu developers would get over the "Ubuntu looks like Africa" idea. Anybody who has actually traveled to Africa will realize that it there is also plenty of green and, along the coastline, also ocean blue. If Ubuntu was to rival openSUSE's artwork, I could see many more Windows/Mac users being enticed to try Linux out. As it is, either OS X or Vista look a far sight nicer than Ubuntu. And whatever developers say, first impressions do count. :wink:

I agree...I think Ubuntu doesn't look that nice compared to mac or vista....Many people don't like it and complain, including me, but think of it this way, this whole Africa -browny-orangy feel has been going on ever since ubuntu started so now it's kinda like a tradition, i guess it basically stuck now...any other views on this point?

Moving on, I just download opensuse and ran it live cd and boy it looks great! I gotta check out the other distros you guys mentioned!

Keep coming in with the posts!

snowpine
August 29th, 2008, 02:27 PM

I actually really like Ubuntu's Human theme, especially with an organic wallpaper like the elephant or giraffe skin. I didn't mention it in my first post because I am not currently using gnome. :) Branding is really important, and I think the brown/orange gives Ubuntu an instantly-recognizable look. The great thing, though, is that it's so easy to change and customize if you like something else better!

V for Vincent
August 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I really don't understand the mint/opensuse love. I mean, I do, to some extent, but there is just so much in those distros that isn't consistent. Opensuse has a great looking installer and grub loader as well as a cool logo, but the standard oxygen/tango icons don't fit in well enough with those. I haven't tried mint, but I get the exact same impression from screenshots.

Crafty Kisses
August 30th, 2008, 12:18 AM
It's all about preference, but I see where your coming from. :)

xakh
August 31st, 2008, 07:03 AM
GoblinX. One look at it in either XFCE or KDE and you may have to change your pants. Just look it up, I freaking love that distro.

henryjm206
August 31st, 2008, 07:14 AM
Well if you like the windows vista theme go with Vixsta
Fedora isn't bad, puppy linux is cool too, but my favorite is ubuntu or xubuntu or kubuntu

:lolflag:yawn

grantm
September 19th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Anti-X is very slick.

Sorivenul
September 19th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Mint Fluxbox edition or OpenSuse 11 are the classiest distributions I've tried "out of the box". After them, the base Arch install is pretty styling. :)

phidia
September 19th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Of course it is all opinion and artistic preference but I do think open suse does a good job of creating a clean and good looking default desktop. I even like that they only use one panel with gnome, but then there can be more fussing around with menus in that set up.

I like the look of nimblex (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=nimblex) too. It has that clean efficent look. I don't think there is an installer-it's just a live cd, boots very quickly too.

Therion
September 19th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I always thought the later versions of PCLOS (Gnome) (http://thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=PCLinuxOS%20GNOME% 202.21.2) looked pretty tight. But I also think Elive (http://thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=Elive%200.6.8) looks off the hook in a totally different way.

If I had to go to a KDE DE though, I'd look at Vector Linux (http://thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=VectorLinux%205.9) .

estyles
September 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I've got another vote for OpenSUSE as the classiest LOOKING distro, but I didn't find it to be very usable. I'm using Mint right now, and it looks very nice as well, but it doesn't really work much differently from Ubuntu, and I find it's default setup to be less usable (of course, it was pretty simple to change to be more like Ubuntu's default setup).

I like the Ubuntu Human theme. I would like a somewhat updated theme with the same colors. It's recognizable and warm and inviting.

meborc
September 19th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I always thought the later versions of PCLOS (Gnome) (http://thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=PCLinuxOS%20GNOME% 202.21.2) looked pretty tight. But I also think Elive (http://thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=Elive%200.6.8) looks off the hook in a totally different way.

If I had to go to a KDE DE though, I'd look at Vector Linux (http://thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=VectorLinux%205.9) .

+1 on elive

used the new development version for a week ( 1.8.8 ) and it totally rocks... pic - http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=85245&d=1221431667

i love the way the terminal is set up with small yet pretty and usable font... and i love the "live" backgrounds that make the whole desktop experience so much more then just another picture

i had to turn back to intrepid cuz my broadcom wireless was having some troubles in elive... for some reason the network kept falling down...

elive also uses debian testing repos, which don't have the most bleeding edge soft...

if 2.0 comes out, i will try to migrate again :) just love the look'n'feel of elive

uberdonkey5
September 19th, 2008, 08:45 PM

Yes, i totally agree. Maybe 9.04, new era and all that, will produce a simple (non graphics intensive) but beautiful desktop. I expect most ubuntu users do not keep the brown theme. For example mine has a windows vista wallpaper (mountains and lake) and think its Metacity Pilgrim theme with nice dark grey boxes and stylish buttons. (I don't go for anything fancy). Given that colour and our environemnt has such a psychological effect on us, why doesn't ubuntu get a decent style designer on the job.

P.S. only know Ubuntu and Xandros, but checked out screen shots of all these others