PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] General opinion of the Inspiron 1525??

jonabyte
August 27th, 2008, 08:10 PM
As the topic says, I would like to get one soon and looking for some opinions, good or bad.

Thanks!

Spooky5
August 27th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I've had my 1525n for just a little over a month. I love it! :)

modena
August 28th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Consider getting the 1440x900 resolution screen. Mine's got that and I think it is a great resolution for 15" mon. I like the screen a LOT.

Mine has the 4695agn(?) wireless and I had no problems with ubuntu wireless setup. Some people have hassles getting the 3xxx wireless card working.

Had very few problems so far with ubuntu. Things like wireless light not working etc, and stuff I wouldn't even have noticed if not for forums like this.

Overally I'm fairly happy with the 1525 but given the chance again I'd have bought a different brand (or at least not an inspiron) because ...

The only real problem I have is the palmrest and especially glidepad / touchpad gets uncomforably hot. Like as in - it's unenjoyable using the touchpad as a mouse. It's much hotter with ubuntu than xp. Not everyone seems to have that problem though but it is common (enough to worry about). Moving from 32 bit to 64 bit helped reduce the heat. I still needed to get a usb cooler pad to make it comfortable.

Good luck with your decision.

computx
August 28th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I have had one about a week. I am happy with it. One thing I have found strange was the laptop was not set to suspend when on battery power and the lid is closed. I did turn that on. Suspend and hibernate do both work except that many times I get a message about there being a sleep problem. I had hoped Dell had done more work on this. I also own a thinkpad and recieve similar errors after resume when using hardy. So maybe this is something that a newer kernel will fix.

One other caveat I purchased mine with the cheaper battery option. Battery life when using wifi is not good. About 1 hour 40 minutes is the most I can get. It would be a good idea to get the better battery if you plan to use this laptop on the go.

Rany Albeg
August 28th, 2008, 03:15 PM
A great laptop.
I've got mine with 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM , 250GB HD
and it runs very smoothly and fast , especially when u work on a linux distribution.

georgegerm
August 28th, 2008, 03:56 PM
mine is only a celeron 540 and 1024 , plus an 80 drive and it works like butter on toast
it has no problems with any hardware ...
it is brad new cheap and a very good solution for a small budget
i do not need any big desktop show except awn and it works fine
viva ubu
ps. i need some help if some one can follow my helps and do so ,, i owe u a nice cold german brew (agustiner):guitar:

superm1
August 28th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Suspend and hibernate do both work except that many times I get a message about there being a sleep problem. I had hoped Dell had done more work on this. I also own a thinkpad and recieve similar errors after resume when using hardy. So maybe this is something that a newer kernel will fix.

Well actually that was something that started happening very late in the development cycle. Notice the laptop does suspend and hibernate properly, but HAL mistakingly reports that it failed... It's the same sort of problem how you'll get a noise indicating there were errors suspending when there really weren't.

eg: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal/+bug/242713

If this is very bothersome to you, please comment and subscribe to that bug so that developers are aware how annoying it is.

SkonesMickLoud
August 28th, 2008, 07:36 PM
A great laptop.
I've got mine with 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM , 250GB HD
and it runs very smoothly and fast , especially when u work on a linux distribution.

Out of curiosity, does it come with one 2GB stick, or two 1GB sticks?

solaceinsilence9
August 29th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Out of curiosity, does it come with one 2GB stick, or two 1GB sticks?

I would imagine it would depend on how much you wanted. The motherboard supports up to 4GB of RAM. So if you got 2GB it would probably be 2 1GB sticks. But you can build your notebook on Dell's website you might actually be able to choose.

bolex100
October 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Its difficult to say because Dell has so many options:- processor RAM, etc. It onboard speakers are below par. Too quiet and lacking any bass.

I use mine through external amplifiers so the speakers don't matter to me. One grip is that both headphone/lineout sockets are one the front. All the other connections are at the side. They get in the way. I nearly ripped the socket out when I snagged the wire. I think they might get in the way if you used it on a desk.

skroops
October 11th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I like the 1525, it has good battery life and a clean display. The touchpad sucks, its very unresponsive without config file editing, and even then has a tendency to freakout once in a while like my fingers are made out of magnets or something.

I wish I would have gotten the higher res screen and the better GPU, but my point in buying an inspiron 1525 was to keep it cheap, keep it cool, and have a long battery life, and it excells at all of that.

wgarider
October 12th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Had mine for about three months - best laptop I've owned........

taqkavar
October 12th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I have used the inspiron 1520 for a year as my main computer.
The main problem is over heating. This laptop cannot run at its maximum clock speed more than 30 mins.

georgegerm
October 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM
having used my dell celeron 550 with 1g ram and 80gb platte now i must rewrite my earlier comments
the touch pad goes crazy at times it is not easy to use
(anyone has a solution)
and a major point to criticize is the battery i get maybe 45 minutes at best thats is very little for a dell lappy!!!
yet dell at least makes products in europe for ubuntu which o one else does:guitar:

clearshot
October 15th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I don't have time to be specific, but anything Dell after what I've been through is a deffinate NO.