PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Used Partimage to Resize Partition: Partition full with unknown data

Justin312
August 26th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I wanted to resize my extended partition for Ubuntu (larger) and needed to reinstall windows anyway (I am keeping a dual boot).

However, I've been using ubuntu for awhile now I didn't want to lose my installed programs, configuration, etc etc.

Therefore I used Partimage to make an image. So I installed windows from scratch. Popped in the ubuntu installation disk when done and installed ubuntu selecting the new partitions that I wanted during the install. I then booted-up the live cd again and used partimage to restore my old (smaller partition) to my new (larger partition).

Except, now I have the same freespace as I had before (a few hundred MB) in my new 20 GB partition that I had in my 10 GB partition. I don't know where this data is coming from. I highlighted all my folders in file manager (*except media) and it only totals up to about 10 GB. Except, when I go to Partimage (not from the livecd - but I'm not trying to change anything) it shows that I'm using over 20 GB.

Please help!

Thanks,

Justin
(Note: I've included screenshots to illustrate)

Justin312
August 26th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I stumbled on the answer to this problem.

Something I didn't realize is that the size of the filesystem and the partition is not exactly the same thing. Thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=867335 solved my problem.

For anyone who had this happen resize2fs was the solution to my problem.