PDA

View Full Version : New Linux At Home Project : Challenge

irish rebel
November 14th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Guys.. I have decided to start a new Project using Ubuntu here in my house .The main Motive behind it is that my brother in law [ tied forever to MS] has said I couldnt. This project has to be complete by XMAS so here is the outline.
1] My desktop [which is breezy] must be able to rip and categorize over 600 CD'S over 100 DVD'S and convert over 200 VCR tapes and store.
For my Dvd camcorder [which is Usb ] I must be able to use a program to make a dvd . All my home finances must be handled with a decent program[ moneydance comes to mind].

On my two sons computers: they must be able to play unreal 2004 , warcraft ect ect.

Home theater: This has to be linux based insofar as the setop box has to have a comparable program to Microsofts Media Center. Myth Comes To Mind.

So I decided to take his challenge and he has to do the same on his end the aim is that I say I can do it for a lot less than he can the prize , sheer and utter enjoyment at seeing him spend alot of money on software and antivirus protection.
We begin Weds with a full format of our machines.....I decided will keep meticulous notes on customizing the desktops the installation of various softwares such as Cinelerra ect ect. I will post them here somewhere and homefully the notes will help a new user get his/her desktop up and running.

jonny
November 14th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I imagine you'll be using DVB for your TV gear. Do yourself a favour and read this how-to (http://www.parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php) before you try to set up Myth TV. It's by far the clearest I've found so far, but, unfortunately, I discovered it after I'd spent hours struggling by myself to work out how to tune my cards.

varunus
November 14th, 2005, 04:54 PM
You may want to throw down $15 ($5 a month, but you have to buy at least 3 months) for Cedega 5.0. From what I've heard, it plays windows games amazingly well (warcraft 3, half life 2, counterstrike, and guild wars, to name a few that I play/have seen played with it). Its pretty easy to install (they give you a .deb package that'll work with Ubuntu) and it'll make playing windows games easy.

Oh, and just for style points, if you have some free time with it, get the newest Clearlooks-Cairo from CVS. This theme is going to be amazing; currently, the progressbar animation is much improved, and checkboxes fade in when you check them. I can't wait for more development...

buildid
November 14th, 2005, 07:26 PM
for ripping cd's there are enough programs ....

for ripping dvd :

and i understand you are in a hurry , so you need speed :

http://www.japie.deserver.nl/ftp/KVCD/?C=M;O=A

use the latest one, it is a script for creating a kdvd from an dvd .

creating an dvd :

use avidemux2 it should be installable with apt-get and use dvdstyler .

for creating a index what you have :

http://gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=801

joshuapurcell
November 14th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Good luck with this challenge. It may help to post some hardware information so that everyone knows what you are working on, but of course that may only be needed if you run into problems. I also agree with the post about purchasing Cedega if you plan on running WoW and UT. Although Wine has come a long way and could probably run those games, the Cedega installer/configuration is fairly painless.

irish rebel
November 14th, 2005, 08:30 PM
3 machines exactly the same ASUS A8.. 64 BIT MOTHERBOARD 754 with athlon 64 at 3400mhz 2 gig of ultra 400 ddr ram each pc has a western digital 300 gig hard drive my machine will have an extra drive so as to store the video files.
Each machine has a ultra media dashboard with usb 2 and firewire ports as well as media card readers each machine has a nviidia fx 5200 at 256mb ddr .I built the machines myself updated the bios and installed breezy on them all so I know that all the hardware is compatable , also I had compiled openoffice from source on mine before so as to speed up the startup time of the apps.

irish rebel
November 14th, 2005, 08:34 PM
my kids currently have cedega 5.0 running warcraft I run unreal nativly ,I will need to cature the frames per second to prove to brother in law.

Zonkle
November 27th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I would love to hear what is going on with the Media Center computer, because I want to do the same with Ubuntu.

Good luck ;)

xelink
November 27th, 2005, 05:41 PM
bad news, they don't make 3400mhz Athlons. your 754 Athlon 64 3400+ is supposed to be compareable to a 3.4GHZ Pentium 4. The main diference is that it does better with gaming, costs less, and doesn't have overheating problems.

I may be mistaken, but the clock speed on that beauty should be 2.4 Ghz, how it works is that each clock performs more calculations(12 as opposed to 6[P4s perform 12 for certain types of operations though]), and fewer are wasted because it isn't as vulnerable to error as Pentium 4s.

other thn that, good luck dude.

ssam
November 27th, 2005, 06:50 PM
for ripping cds i'd give grip a look. thats what i use.

or prehaps, a you need to do 600, some automation. you should be able to find/make a short bash script that grabs the cbbd data of the internet, rips the cd to disk, spits out the cd, encodes the files and tags the files. then you can get gnome to run it when you put a cd in. a google search for "rip cd cddb script linux" finds lots of info.

i highly recommend that you use the ogg format instead of mp3. it has better quality at the same bitrate, and it works out of the box on all linux installs.

i imagine there would be a similar solution for dvds

ubuntu27
November 27th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Good Luck irish rebel !! Tell us how your journy is going. ;)

angrylittleman
November 27th, 2005, 11:31 PM
I would suggest using .flac format...far better for backing up CDs....
Try xvid for the videos!!!

Open Source is the way to go!