PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] avatar is a ?

oldmanteabags
August 25th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Well one bean. I've been a member here dang near since it all began. Having to start over, since some jerk wants to use my handle IN THE SAME TOWN AS ME! He's a thug too. Breaks my heart. Anyhoo, my avatar isn't working. Why? Trying it in a post.

oldmanteabags
August 25th, 2008, 02:21 PM
however it's not my first cup of ubuntu, it's my i dunno, 95th bean. :mad: but i can't change my username, heck i don't mind keeping the username, just let me change the name I'm called. it's really a sad story.

why isn't my avatar working?

oldmanteabags
August 25th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I'm an idiot. How do you mark solved?

Elfy
August 25th, 2008, 02:34 PM
with the solved tool in thread tools at the top :)

nice avatar lol

overdrank
August 25th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Moved to :)

oldmanteabags
August 25th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Well it actually was a general help question. I was confused by profile picture and avatar picture. I thought it was a pixel size problem, but noticed the avatar section in the user cp. I just happen to solve my own post. Like I've done before, but as carolinason and those posts where never moved. :p

I tell ya, I been here since 2005 and now I'm getting MY BEANS TAKEN AWAY!

Who needs beans anyway, coffee is nasty, I drink tea. That's why I'm called oldmanteabags! Yeah OLDMANTEABAGS!!!!

Perhaps I should just go back to Debian!

Nano Geek
August 25th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Well it actually was a general help question. I was confused by profile picture and avatar picture. I thought it was a pixel size problem, but noticed the avatar section in the user cp.You didn't make that very clear.

Elfy
August 25th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Perhaps you should post in the forum feedback or the resolution centre might be a better choice

oldmanteabags
August 25th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Heck I really don't care, hard to see me laughing and bobbing my knee from where you are. I'm amped from all the tea i drank.

Preesh your kindness. Now I have a [solved] post in the cafe with no beans :D , us tea drinkers are trouble makers, no.?

forger
August 25th, 2008, 03:02 PM
next time you change your avatar, try holding SHIFT and pressing the Reload/Refresh button :)

oldmanteabags
August 25th, 2008, 03:05 PM
what does shift+reload=?

NovaAesa
August 25th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Seeings we are now in the commutity cafe, I want to hear the story about this thug who wants your handle? It sounds like an interesting story :P

sydbat
August 25th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Yeah...maybe we could...um..."take care of him for ya"...yeah...that's it...

oldmanteabags
August 25th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Well I can't remember when I started using the handle carolinason, but it was years ago. I was using gnumber9, but carolinason popped in my head being a native of North Carolina, not being a legacy to UNC, University of North Carolina.

Well, I googled my handle to look for forums I post to since i installed Kubuntu -didn't back up bookmarks- and there in the first googled item is my handle at myspace and it was a person who is waring gang type clothing of UNC and has some strange things to say. AND HE LIVES IN THE SAME TOWN AS ME!!!! Also I found a profile at a drug based forum, ALARM!!

Actually I just looked at him again and he's a saved Christian. BUT I'm thinking I don't want to be confused with anyone, no matter how thuggy or christian they might be, so I wanted something unique. I am a heavy tea drinker and after many cups came up with this handle. I like it... ..... a lot :)

Over in Kubuntu Forums I could change my screen name, not my username, but screen name. That was nice, I get to keep my rank, no matter how trivial that might be. I did join this forum when it was baby slap new and wanted to show this. But it is policy to not migrate accounts. I hate to lose over 90 posts since 2005!

I was just swinging my humour around. I'm relaxing with a morning libation now.

Thanks for the curiosity. I genuinely like helping others especially with Linux and love these forums. I probably sound a bit brash sometimes, but I'm just joking.

Elfy
August 25th, 2008, 04:05 PM
so are you not the carolinason who is here already then, or you are and want your old beans - :confused: - I've had my own fun with usernames here it has to be said with some hilarity

oldmanteabags
August 25th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I am carolinason in this forum and have 92 posts under that account member since 7/12/2005.

oldmanteabags
August 25th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Did you draw your avatar forestpixie?

oldmanteabags
August 25th, 2008, 04:13 PM
yes i would like my beans, to bad they're not tea bags

actually more than anything i just wanted to change my displayed name from carolinason to OldManTeaBags

Elfy
August 25th, 2008, 04:17 PM
No I didn't, the only thing I can draw is water from a tap :lol:

I am carolinason in this forum and have 92 posts under that account member since 7/12/2005.I thought you mean that someoine weas using your username here - now I read it again I can see what you were meaning.

Joeb454
August 25th, 2008, 04:21 PM
You could make a request to the admins, though I should pre-warn you that usernames aren't often changed

oldmanteabags
August 25th, 2008, 04:58 PM
hey forestpixie ever heard of King Crimson?

carolinason
August 25th, 2008, 05:17 PM
my alter ego.i'm so tempted to thank my self

Elfy
August 25th, 2008, 05:53 PM
hey forestpixie ever heard of King Crimson?
Indeed I have - one of them lives not too far away from me. I could have thanked myself twice earlier in the year lol

bapoumba
August 25th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Thread moved again, to FFH this time (sorry overdrank ;))
If i understand correctly, you realized that "carolinason" was used by someone else on other forums or whatever social websites, and you did not like to be associated with this person?
May be we could ask an admin to look into this and merge all the posts and account identifications to you current oldmanteabags account, would that do it?
I'm sure you know we do not allow multiple accounts for the same user :)

carolinason
August 25th, 2008, 11:44 PM
please yes, bapoumba that would be a giant stress relief!! all under the name OldManTeaBags

let me know what i need to do.

carolinason
August 25th, 2008, 11:56 PM
[snip]

oldmanteabags
August 26th, 2008, 12:00 AM
forestpixie - i admit i googled you and read an interview you did. your only 3 years older than me. I sort of thought you'd be aware of one my favorite bands. all this talk of avatars... you mention a misty island, and i thought of the title track from the KC classic, Islands. i've been in my music collection editing tags, i really enjoy amarok and kde 4, i could go on all night about that...

I saw the latest incarnation of KC in Asheville, NC some years ago. I stood very close to Robert Fripp and I was in slack jawed amazement. they played the Orange Peel, Adrian Belew is co-owner. Asheville is up in the Mountains, I live down in the coastal plane.

I lived up there and would like to return to the mountains, but the Misses is pregnant with our first :D Will know if a boy or girl soon.

looks like this thing here might work out for me after all.

time for green tea! so i must go put the kettle on...

thnx

bapoumba
August 26th, 2008, 11:28 AM
please yes, bapoumba that would be a giant stress relief!! all under the name OldManTeaBags

let me know what i need to do.

I have asked the admins to look into this. Thanks for your patience :)

Side note: King Crimson, some cool memories from my univ years..