PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can someone please help me understand the file system and partitons..

dvigue
August 25th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I am having a hard time with the file system, root, home, etc... attatched is a picture of what my hard drive looks like. this is what i would like to have

1. xp partition with about 25 gigs ( i cannot seem to find out how to resize my current xp partition

2. What should i set my linux partitions to?

3. i would like to have a "storage" partition for pictures and programs that can be accessed in either xp or Linux.

can someone please look at the attached pic and help me figure this out?

i love this OS by the way....

Thank you

silent contender
August 25th, 2008, 12:46 AM
For setting up a partition to access from XP and Ubuntu, you can setup a FAT32 partition. However, you can mount NTFS partitions in Ubuntu, so you may not need to setup a FAT32.

The size of your Linux partition, that up to you and how often you plan to use Linux.

zamadatix
August 25th, 2008, 12:50 AM
defragment the xp partition then click on it and drag it to the left. and whatever ou plan on using linux for set ti there. i use about 20gb fro ubuntu but set it to 30 this time. (i use it more now)

dvigue
August 25th, 2008, 12:57 AM
The size of your Linux partition, that up to you and how often you plan to use Linux.

i plan on using linux 90% of the time. i just have xp on there in case i cant run a game or app in linux.

i am just confused on what partions i should have?? i am so confused on "home" and "root"

dvigue
August 25th, 2008, 12:58 AM
defragment the xp partition then click on it and drag it to the left. and whatever ou plan on using linux for set ti there. i use about 20gb fro ubuntu but set it to 30 this time. (i use it more now)

i can defrag it in linux? and i can click on it and drag it? in linux correct?

zamadatix
August 25th, 2008, 01:00 AM
i dont defrag while in linux i usually just boot over to my xp. there are programs for defragging windows from linux but i dont know of any someone else will be able to help you there. but mostly jsut dera before you try to resize it. and if its ntfs you can tdefrag from linux but why not just go to windows to do that.