PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] starting fresh

PatrickMoore
August 25th, 2008, 12:33 AM
i want to try kubuntu or xubuntu with my laptop hp pavillion dv6109 1.44gb ram and amd 64 2.1(ish)gb processor. which would be better. basically i want efficiency and something pretty lightweight. i will probably just use conky, maybe songbird and a few other programs. any suggestions

zamadatix
August 25th, 2008, 01:09 AM
if oyu wnat to stick with ubuntu based probably xubuntu but if you want somehting fast try puppy or somethng light and set it to boot toram.

DrPppr242
August 25th, 2008, 01:16 AM
if you already have some basic linux experience I'd recommend Arch linux w/ xfce as an excellent lightweight distro, however it's initial install is pretty stripped down so it's a bad choice for people who don't have broadband internet to install programs and don't like to use a cli interface at least for the install

mgranet
August 25th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Those specs are plenty good enough to run Kubuntu, but Xubuntu is very streamlined and would run very fast on that system.

PatrickMoore
August 25th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Those specs are plenty good enough to run Kubuntu, but Xubuntu is very streamlined and would run very fast on that system.

thanks guys i think xubuntu seems adequate i want something stripped down but not barebones. i need speed and im used to ubuntu repositories and whatnot.

PatrickMoore
August 25th, 2008, 01:52 AM
just out of mere curiousity has anyone tried this kubuntu kde4 remix? it looks pretty hot

rockerphil
August 25th, 2008, 02:04 AM
just a suggestion, if you want somthing super light weight and have some experience with the command line you could use this link:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

to build a light weight system from the command line up. i've seen it run fine on a 500 MHz Intel Pentium processor and 128 MB of pc133 SD RAM. so you should be able to get plenty of speed out of a machine with those specs. hope this info helps,

Phil

zamadatix
August 25th, 2008, 02:07 AM
if oyu really jsut wanted a true lightweight linux with gui try greycat. though if you want lightweight with more programs try fether or puppy (both have a pakage manager for more programs. but if you want to stick with ubuntu based go with kubuntu.

PatrickMoore
August 25th, 2008, 03:15 AM
im going to make a live cd of the kde4 remix and try it. it looks beautiful

mgranet
August 25th, 2008, 03:43 AM
It does look very, very pretty. And I really like the Plasma concept. I've been running it since they packed it with KDE 4.1, to help transition when 8.10 is released. However, if you're going for blazing speed, I would shy away from KDE4.