PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] adobe flash

hyperhopper
August 24th, 2008, 11:15 PM
okay, so I'm surfing the net and end up on youtube, and it says to get latest flash player, So I click on the link, download, the .gz file, but now I am stuck as to what to do now... Help?

THANK YOU!:KS

nothingspecial
August 24th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Click on Accessories > Terminal and copy and paste -

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Type your password - you wont see it

Restart fire fox.

tuxxy
August 24th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Or you could install the ubuntu-restrcited-extras package, this will include flash, mp3, dvd playback etc

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Search for ubuntu-restrcited-extras in synaptic or open a terminal and type

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restrcited-extras

Joeb454
August 24th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I think ubuntu-restricted-extras (apt://ubuntu-restricted-extras) may be a little over kill if the user only wants flash (apt://flashplugin-nonfree) ;)

I love apt links :D

hyperhopper
August 24th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I have restricted-exrtas already... hmmm.... Ill try what nothing special says

hyperhopper
August 24th, 2008, 11:35 PM
uh oh, i got this
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

nothingspecial
August 24th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Do what it says - in your terminal type

dpkg --configure -a

hyperhopper
August 24th, 2008, 11:38 PM
dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege

is what i got, but im on the account i created with all privledges during installation of ubuntu from liveCD

tuxxy
August 24th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I think ubuntu-restricted-extras (apt://ubuntu-restricted-extras) may be a little over kill if the user only wants flash (apt://flashplugin-nonfree) ;)

I love apt links :D

Im sure he would want dvd, mp3 playback at some point

ye apt links are good for the lazy ;)

hyperhopper
August 24th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Im sure he would want dvd, mp3 playback at some point

ye apt links are good for the lazy ;)

Yes, I will need those at some point, and what is an apt link?

nothingspecial
August 24th, 2008, 11:40 PM

is what i got, but im on the account i created with all privledges during installation of ubuntu from liveCD

Then you gotta sudo it

sudo dpkg --configure -a

tdrusk
August 24th, 2008, 11:40 PM

sudo dpkg --configure -a

EDIT: nothingspecial beat me to it.

hyperhopper
August 24th, 2008, 11:42 PM
WOOW two post in less than 30 secs from my post. Scary!!!

Joeb454
August 24th, 2008, 11:44 PM
You'll get used to it ;)

nothingspecial
August 24th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Then you`ll wait for weeks for a simple problem to be resolved.

And then some obscure problem with some obscure hardware only you and 10 other people in the world own will be fixed in about four and a half minutes - it`s the way it works.\\:D/

hyperhopper
August 25th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Then you`ll wait for weeks for a simple problem to be resolved.

And then some obscure problem with some obscure hardware only you and 10 other people in the world own will be fixed in about four and a half minutes - it`s the way it works.\\:D/

I disagree on that, Ill show you my internetless games problem thread that ill bump in a second because nobody knows....

but as to the original problem,.... it just said it couldn't retrieve archives, after 7 hours of loading, and now, after i closed the terminal, my copy and paste decided to reset on me so i don't have the exact message...

nothingspecial
August 25th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I disagree on that, Ill show you my internetless games problem thread that ill bump in a second because nobody knows....
That`s just what I`m saying. Sometimes these forums are amazing, sometimes thet`re sooo frustrating.

but as to the original problem,.... it just said it couldn't retrieve archives, after 7 hours of loading, and now, after i closed the terminal, my copy and paste decided to reset on me so i don't have the exact message...

It sounds like you have some broken packages. This is beyond my scope but check that you didn`t have another package manager open at the same time - synaptic, add/remove, (I think software sources also).

If that doesn`t help I`m just happy to bump your thread. :?