PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] set up file sharing?

WinterMadness
August 24th, 2008, 10:22 PM
how do i set up file sharing between two computers? im just using a ethernet plug between two comps

WinterMadness
August 25th, 2008, 12:06 AM
how do i set up file sharing between two computers? im just using a ethernet plug between two comps

noone?

tuxulin
August 25th, 2008, 12:10 AM
what do you have on these 2 machines ?

Tuxulin

WinterMadness
August 25th, 2008, 01:43 AM
what do you have on these 2 machines ?

Tuxulin

ubuntu

tuxulin
August 25th, 2008, 02:51 AM
if you can already ping the other machine
then install on both pc's
sudo apt-get install openssh-server openssh-client

goto Places >> Connect to server...
choose SSH then fill the rest of the dialog box out
click connect, put the password in (the target machine password)

done

Tuxulin

Iowan
August 25th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHFS) is some good background information on SSHFS.

I presume that ethernet plug is a crossover cable - a straight cable between the two probably won't work.

Titan8990
August 25th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I presume that ethernet plug is a crossover cable - a straight cable between the two probably won't work.

Are we still living in the 80s? Networking devices (switches, routers, and hubs) are cheap, plentiful, and just about everyone has one.

Kain000
August 25th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Yeah are you using a router or hub of some kind? An eithernet cable between two machines wont network them. Please explain your setup.

aloshbennett
August 25th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Ftp across a cross-cable is what I prefer if I have to share a lot of data with another computer.

tuxulin
August 25th, 2008, 11:58 AM
@ kain000

the user said the machines are connected via ethernet cable.

with that in mind why do you think that

An eithernet cable between two machines wont network them

back in the day it worked quite well. all thats needed is a verification on a ping test, 2 private ip numbers and a subnetmask.

maybe ubunty was built slightly different and cannot manage peer to peer topology. since im not an linux expert can you explain :)

Tuxulin