PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Linux/Ubuntu in your job?

ICEcoffee
August 24th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Hi all

I have read many posts asking other if they have switched to Ubuntu/Linux fully, and other similar posts. But I'd like to know if there are any that use Ubuntu/Linux as part of their job/work.

I'm a web developer/project manager, and I use Ubuntu 80% of the time, but I do dual-boot into winXP to use video/flash editing and accounting software, because there isn't anything of the same standard/equivilent on Linux.

Swarms
August 24th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I get payed to study so I guess that is kind of work too. :P

Then yes.

freebeer
August 24th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Yup. I use Ubuntu in the back end as a file server and Primary Domain Controller (Samba). The desktop units are Windows boxes but on my machine I dual boot.

My long term goal is to migrate the desktops to Ubuntu but that may not be possible due to a couple of applications.

~LoKe
August 24th, 2008, 10:38 PM
UNIX should be a large portion of my job, but I doubt I'll ever see an Linux flavours.

lukjad007
August 24th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I use it for fixing computers and for school, so yes.

benny bronx
August 24th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I am in the legal field and use linux exclusively (Ubuntu/PCLinuxOS).

Northsider
August 24th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Nope, I use windows XP at work. I just wanted to try out a linux distro because I liked the oommunity and ideology behind it.

stmiller
August 24th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I use Redhat and CentOS for job. Mostly servers like DNS, mail, apache, etc. Wish my job used Linux desktops. That would rock...

ICEcoffee
August 25th, 2008, 02:13 PM
either I posted this on the wrong day and time, or only a handful of people use Linux/Ubuntu in their jobs???

I thought there would be thousands of you.

mellowd
August 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM
linux yes, ubuntu no

Ub1476
August 25th, 2008, 02:30 PM
either I posted this on the wrong day and time, or only a handful of people use Linux/Ubuntu in their jobs???

I thought there would be thousands of you.

When this thread is about a year old it might be thousands :)

I use it at school.

noremac
August 25th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Theoretically I do. At my job, we sell Texas hunting and fishing permits. The computer for this runs some form of Linux for Point of Sales systems or something. Whenever it boots, goes to grub, shows a quick splash, then opens Firefox and thats it. No commands or anything work. Kind of lame.

-Cameron

ooobuntooo
August 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM
At Infogrames/Atari we use Windows XP mainly. I don't know about Linux servers.

piousp
August 25th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I do use Kubuntu in my job. I got permission from my boss!
Actually, a couple of guys in the company asked for permission to use linux when they saw my machine!

Esben Kramer
August 25th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I get payed to study so I guess that is kind of work too. :P

Then yes.

Same here.

bonevg
August 25th, 2008, 02:59 PM
50% of the people @ my work are practicaly working on Linux Systems (mostly Ubuntu)
70% of the Servers we (the IT) manage are CentOS and ~ 30% Ubuntus.
The people that use Windows, are forced to do so, just cuz their Laptops are comming with Windows licenses and also some of them are afraid of using different OS.

fourthofjuly
August 25th, 2008, 03:18 PM
i guess Ubuntu could take a considerable amount of time to get in the workplace...

1) there's a strong resistance to give up something that we are very used to (Windows or any proprietary software, that is) - so many people have to be convinced?

2) my accounting package doesn't work / so and so softwares we've been using won't work? - or maybe I do not (or cannot?) learn something without disturbing the workflow.

3) our system engineer is an MS certified guy OR the agency who has been entrusted the maintenance contract of our computer systems doesn't support Ubuntu (well, even they are all MS certified guys), & I least expect them to because if Ubuntu keeps on running hassle free through the year or for years - what are we paying these guys for?

4) only if our educational institutions adopt Ubuntu...???

correct me if i am wrong...

devang.

Skorzen
August 25th, 2008, 03:31 PM
No. Just Windows here. Portugal is actually a sad place for free software.

conundrumx
August 25th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Ubuntu yes, Linux most definitely.

There are two Redhat servers, as well as one Hardy server. Before the Hardy server there was a server running 6.04 with over a year of uptime. :)

cespinal
August 25th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I bring my laptop to work everyday to listen to my music and do some simple stuff while working on my Windows XP workstation... does it count?

Lord DarkPat
August 25th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I would love to migrate my school comps
My school is so cheap, they're teaching us HTML next semester, and M$ Excel in this one

YUCK

Bungo Pony
August 25th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I've done configs on the FitPCs at work that come pre-installed with Ubuntu. They're mostly used for VNC. Nobody wants to use them for anything else since nobody's familiar with it except me.

bigbrovar
August 25th, 2008, 06:55 PM
A big part of my work is to administer all the Ubuntu desktops we use in the school where i work which is about 95% of all our desktops .. so yeah i work with Ubuntu

billgoldberg
August 25th, 2008, 07:14 PM
My school is so cheap, they're teaching us HTML next semester, and M$ Excel in this one

YUCK

What's wrong with HTML?

I hope they throw in css in the course, because without css, xhtml is pretty useless.

If the teacher start telling you need to do the layout with tables and the text mock up in html itself, you need to speak out against it.

-

If you learn to use Excel better you can use the OpenOffice version better also.

the yawner
August 26th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I first started using Ubuntu when I got to install Feisty on a company-issued Thinkpad to play with it a bit since I already have a desktop PC (albeit running WinXP). Nowadays, I have my Acer laptop running Hardy side-by-side with the desktop still running XP with Quicksynergy eliminating the need to have a keyboard and mouse on the desktop. :D

My desktop still holds the company email as I'm too lazy to migrate it to the laptop. And I'm still using it for stuff that I'd rather work on a native XP installation than Wine or Vbox.

wolfen69
August 26th, 2008, 05:16 AM
i use windows all the time. but then again i'm getting paid for it. it pays my bills, but at the end of the day linux makes sense. windows is good at business oriented programs no doubt. but i feel at ease with linux. it seems to make sense.

lukjad007
August 26th, 2008, 12:45 PM

YUCK
Actually, I have used MS Excel and Word and they are both good programs. I find that they are similar enough to OO that you can easily take what you learn from this class and apply it to OO.

AndyCooll
August 26th, 2008, 01:22 PM
The desktops are all Windows however I administer a couple of servers one of which is running Red Hat Linux and the other Solaris.

:cool:

stinger30au
August 26th, 2008, 01:58 PM
i have built myself a "luggable pc". it fits inside an ammunitions case that used to hold 3 x 81mm mortar shells . bought it at the local tip for just $5 and shoved my pc guts inside it. just a celeron 400, 256 meg ram, 12 gig hdd, dual layer dvd drive

I have got Xubuntu 8.04 Alternate cd installed on to the machine. for its age and low cpu power, it goes quite well.

I use it to program fax/printer machines via lan and update IBM Servers that need the RSA card updated

slaglevader
August 26th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I am a Network Administration Teacher and use both Windows and Ubuntu. I created a class called Introduction to Unix/Linux where the book is Ubuntu Desktop Linux. My laptop is currently running Ubuntu 8.04 and I don't dual boot with XP at all. If it were up to me, I wouldn't even teach XP or Vista but have to.

Daletec
August 26th, 2008, 02:01 PM
We use AIX on our ERP server. All of our desktop client computers connect via telnet to the system for order entry and manufacturing staging. I use Ubuntu on my home laptop (Dell D610) and remote to the Windoze servers and my desktop. I am trying to sway the IT Department towards Linux, but it's a hard sell.

starNIX
September 1st, 2008, 05:45 AM
I use Hardy at work where we sell and support a LINUX application. We support RH8, Fedora 5 and Fedora 7. Using LINUX to support LINUX works famously. Hardy is a MUCH better Workstation OS than any version of Windows I've ever used.

nickgaydos
September 1st, 2008, 05:49 AM
I'm only 13 :-P
I would like to use Edubuntu at my school because the computers are one below crap and Ubuntu server to replace Windows 2000 server...that is LOUD by the way...

torry_loon
September 1st, 2008, 08:38 PM
All 3 of our school servers run Linux - 2 Ubuntu, 1 Debian (Dapper didn't support the RAID card).

All the PCs dual-boot XP and Hardy. The children primarily use Ubuntu and the staff primarily use Windows. Most of the software applications can be used in both Windows & Ubuntu.

Hire
September 1st, 2008, 09:10 PM
I am IT technical so I use gnu\linux for my work :)

david_lynch
September 1st, 2008, 09:38 PM
My work desktop is running hardy, and that's my jumping off point when I connect in through the vpn.

We have a lot of suse enterprise servers, and will have more, as we migrate oracle from hpux to linux.

Unfortunately oracle isn't on board with ubuntu yet, but we are using ubuntu for basic unix services and it's worked out quite well so far.

zmjjmz
September 1st, 2008, 09:49 PM
I bring a few LiveCDs to school.

TrailerTrash
September 2nd, 2008, 05:17 AM
We have CentOS on our servers. We are 100% Linux at my work and home. We run various distros but will use either Mandriva 2009 Gnome or Ubuntu 8.10 Gnome when they are released as our primary distro.
Since CentOS was so stable, we even thought of using a desktop version of that. :)

lukjad007
September 2nd, 2008, 09:10 PM
At my computer school, I have installed Ubuntu over XP on my computer. A few other people I know have done so also. So yes.