PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System level crashes and lockups - Video/Sound

Phlimm
August 24th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hi I am running a dual boot Hardy Heron 8.04 / Win2K system with:

Soundblaster Live 5.1 Sound card

An MSI KM400A MB with VT8237 Unichrome integrated video

I did a lot of trial and error trying to get this stuff working.

Currently, I am using this setup for sound:

Sound events

Sound Playback: ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback

Music and Movies

Sound Playback: ALSA

Audio Conferencing

Sound Playback: Multichannel Capture/PT Playback
Sound Capture: Multichannel Capture/PT Playback

Default Mixer Tracks:

Device: SB Live 5.1 (Alsa mixer)

With this I was able to get my microphone working and embedded videos functional as well. What I am encountering is this - When playing embedded videos, on occasion the entire system will lock up completely. No mouse, no keyboard, Firefox 3 totally locked up, entire system crashed. Forced to do a system reset.

I get this with Win2K and tried Ubuntu as an alternative, but it is happening almost as much here as there. Seriously doubt there is any system wide hardware issue such as a RAM or HD problem as I have already done diagnostics in those areas in Win2K.

In addition, Firefox bookmark lists are extremely slow to load and sometimes lock up Firefox forcing a crash of the program via Xfce Task Manager.

Any advice on drivers or configurations that I can get / use / set to avoid things like this and also increase video effects?

Also is there a way to show active apps on the toolbar when minimized?

TIA

Phlimm

srt4play
August 28th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I get this with Win2K and tried Ubuntu as an alternative, but it is happening almost as much here as there. Seriously doubt there is any system wide hardware issue such as a RAM or HD problem as I have already done diagnostics in those areas in Win2K.

Since the problem is happening in both Windows and Ubuntu I definitely would focus on hardware. Let memtest run overnight to eliminate the RAM and run your HDD manufacturer's diagnostics on the drive.