PDA

View Full Version : Signatures

Ethyrdude
August 24th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I can remember the first time I found out about signatures, and I found them mildy amusing but some people seem to take them to such an extreme that it's hard to tell where their posts stop and their signatures start.

Worse, some people don't stop at one but think they are clever by posting a number of their favorites, sort of a - if you don't like one, pick the next - situation. Or they decide to use over-sized or retarded fonts and end up completely hiding the message they are trying to post. Of course there are the wannabees, who post quotes from other people, or just copy ones they've seen on other people's posts. Last but not least and there may be other's I've missed but really lame are the ones that actually list the poster's hardware or distro and version, like anyone really cares.

When I first started to use a signature, I tried to come up with something clever but I never really wrote anything profound enough to actually use. When I read the hardware ones I considered being clever and using personal body part stats or my IQ but then I thought about it and realized that I am subject to enough ridicule as it is. In the end, I've just decided to give up completely on using a signature, it serves little purpose and if I can't actually post anything clever, I'm sure not going to help the situation by trying to be smart with my siggy.

What I would like to hear is what others think about sigs, do you find them useful, funny or just more text pollution?
:lolflag:

kspncr
August 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM
really lame are the ones that actually list the poster's hardware or distro and version, like anyone really cares.

This is not "really lame" but is in fact useful for people who have a lot of hardware support threads so they don't have to keep posting their hardware/distro all the time, people can just refer to their sig.

Try not to get so upset over nothing.

karellen
August 24th, 2008, 08:05 PM
let's try not to judge people after their signatures

fatality_uk
August 24th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Each to their own I guess!

Mike'sHardLinux
August 24th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I used to feel the same way as the OP, and sometimes I still see a sig that makes me think "OMG!", but now I just see them as another way for a person to express themself.

Live and let live..... :)

Besides, some of them are interesting, or contain interesting or useful links.

ubuntu-freak
August 24th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I decided to add useful links to mine, so perhaps not just my post will help a newish user, but the links in my sig too.

Also, I don't see how it makes people "wannabes", to quote the OP, when users include quotes in sigs. I mean, some of the quotes are crap, but then, some are funny or interesting, and may help introduce others to people (famous or not) that they haven't heard of before.

Finally, the hardware stats come in handy sometimes, it saves the user posting their stats all the time. Plus, some users may have problems with certain hardware, and notice, by reading a sig, that another user has similar hardware to them.

Mazza558
August 25th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I have my hardware/distro listed so people know what I'm using when I make demo videos. It's also useful in support threads, and I've recieved several PMs in the past asking about how to get feature x to work on my laptop.

As for the rest of my signature, it contains links to some of my guides and other work, so that other members who notice them might want to take a look. I've lost count of the number of times my terminal guide was bumped simply by me posting in the beginners forum.

~LoKe
August 25th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I think mine's fairly conservative.

fissionmailed
August 25th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I think you can turn them off if you dislike them that much. I really don't see the big deal either way.

billgoldberg
August 25th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I used to have a "witty" signature.

I believe it was

"The only intuive interface is the nipple, after that it's all learned".

I now only have links to things I consider helpful for other forum members.

I stopped using the "witty" one because of forum limitations (url's are also counted as a character), or else it would still be there.

smartboyathome
August 25th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I used to have a "witty" signature.

I believe it was

"The only intuive interface is the nipple, after that it's all learned".

I now only have links to things I consider helpful for other forum members.

I stopped using the "witty" one because of forum limitations (url's are also counted as a character), or else it would still be there.

/me gives you the tinyurl link (tinyurl.com), and tells you to have a happy day. ;)

Ethyrdude
August 25th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Ok, first of all, this was posted with humour in mind so if anyone was offended, sorry for being so subtle, I would have thought my mentioning body parts would have kinda been a bit of a hint. I still really don't care what kind of equipment you have - computer or other-wise but I can see that others might want or need that info.

Now that I have lot's more attention than I was intending to get and this is a bit of an off Ubuntu area anyways so going off topic is not an issue, lets change this up a bit, has anybody got or seen any really unique sigs? No, I'm not looking for one to steal, I just can't be bothered having one but I do like to read good or clever ones. I want to see people use their minds, don't copy, do something unique and original. I have more respect for people who make an effort and have a not so great sig than for somebody who quotes or copies.., well, let's not step on any more toes, you get the idea.

And for crying out loud, learn to laugh a little, life is way too short to get uptight every time somebody says something you don't agree with. The guy with the sign says it all.

:lolflag:

geogur
August 25th, 2008, 02:59 AM
sometimes the signature is a better read than the post.:-\"

sstusick
August 25th, 2008, 03:05 AM
sometimes the signature is a better read than the post.:-\":lolflag:

geogur
August 25th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I have given it some thought but have not made a sig. My thoughts are not the type to be quoted and to take someones is to easy .There are some good links and quotes out there . The best I have seen is a Mark Twain quote . Not original but good.

kavon89
August 25th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Hum, I forgot I had a signature...

danbuter
August 25th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I put my hardware in because I'm testing Intrepid, and when I have questions, this info helps the person answering. But I guess that just means I'm lame. :-&

Northsider
August 25th, 2008, 03:53 AM
I dont like it when the sig is more than 3 or 4 lines...it just clutters up the forum. As for the computer specs in the sig, since this is mostly a support forum, this and other tech forums I feel are the only place where it is appropriate and useful. Putting specs on other forums is pointless...like anybody cares how much ram you have...

kavon89
August 25th, 2008, 04:00 AM
...like anybody cares how much ram you have...

you just deflated my e-***** :(

Northsider
August 25th, 2008, 04:02 AM
http://macdave.com/mtau/epenis.jpg

danbuter
August 25th, 2008, 04:28 AM
I dont like it when the sig is more than 3 or 4 lines...it just clutters up the forum. As for the computer specs in the sig, since this is mostly a support forum, this and other tech forums I feel are the only place where it is appropriate and useful. Putting specs on other forums is pointless...like anybody cares how much ram you have...

Yeah, but I'm not gonna change my sig for each separate sub-forum.

GrouchoMarx
August 25th, 2008, 05:13 AM
There are some good links and quotes out there . The best I have seen is a Mark Twain quote . Not original but good.

If you're going to quote anyone, it might as well be Mark Twain...

"Everyone always complains about the weather, but nobody ever does anything about it". -- Mark Twain

Northsider
August 25th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Yeah, but I'm not gonna change my sig for each separate sub-forum.

By "this forum" I meant Ubuntuforums.org. Having specs on a BF2 forum is pretty pointless, for example.

sstusick
August 25th, 2008, 06:22 AM
There is an option to hide signatures in posts. It be nice if more people used it.

sstusick
August 25th, 2008, 06:22 AM
There is an option to hide signatures in posts. It be nice if more people used it when making multiple posts in one thread.

Oops... double post.

swoll1980
August 25th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Mine's eve-ile muah-hahaha

Ethyrdude
August 26th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Well, I think we're on a bit better footing now but there are still a few ruffled feathers ...

I put my hardware in because I'm testing Intrepid, and when I have questions, this info helps the person answering. But I guess that just means I'm lame.
and I am partly to blame because I did come down a bit hard but in this case there's a reason and I understand why danbuter and others do use their system specs as signatures but they weren't really my intended target, so throw away your crutch.

I know I'm going to get more flak over this but let's face it, unless you're posting to a gaming forum, nobody would really care if you have fourteen video cards SLIed together (even if it were actually possible and if you managed it I would be impressed but I would want pictures, not a signature).

Ethyrdude
August 26th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Speaking of a useful signature and going way off topic, I followed the link to http://the-blueline.com/ on Northsider's signature. I really like the gallery section and think you should do the entire site except for the forum in that style.

wolfen69
August 26th, 2008, 04:34 AM
i dont worry about it.

Northsider
August 26th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Speaking of a useful signature and going way off topic, I followed the link to http://the-blueline.com/ on Northsider's signature. I really like the gallery section and think you should do the entire site except for the forum in that style.

Thanks for the kind words and for visiting. I'm not very good with anything web-realted unfortunately. The fact that I have as much as I do on my site is a miracle.:popcorn: