PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Issues

wefojoij
August 24th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Hi,
I have had 8.04 installed for a couple of months and I am experiencing the following problems:
- Takes a long time to load Firefox 3/OpenOffice
- OpenOffice sometimes hangs with many documents open
- Opening many tabs causes Firefox to freeze temporarily or permanently, without even displaying the circling circle showing "busy".
- ntpviewer.bin sometimes takes up 100% or more of the CPU.

Are any of these know issues? What are the resolutions?

Thanks.

cwsnyder
August 24th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I don't know if this is the problem, but it sounds very much as if one of your RAM memory modules is failing. Have you run a memory test on this machine? This should be available on your Ubuntu Live disk, or one of the other 'live' distributions. I had a Windows machine which had similar problems only when the RAM filled up (the higher memory was the problem memory module).

cwsnyder

dje
August 24th, 2008, 07:06 PM
what are your computer specs (ram, processor etc.)

dje

wefojoij
August 25th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Thanks for your help.

cwsnyder, how do you run a ram test.

dje, High end pc. 4GB ram and core 2 duo processor, discrete graphics.

Thanks.

Sef
August 25th, 2008, 12:20 AM
cwsnyder, how do you run a ram test.

Put in the Live CD and go down to mem86 test. You should let it run overnight. For more information (http://www.memtest86.com/).

zamadatix
August 25th, 2008, 12:23 AM
doesnt memtest go into grub on install?

wefojoij
September 4th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Hi,
I am still experiencing many such issues. Especially Firefox and OpenOffice crashes, freezes, and lockups when displaying some pages, for example:
www.apple.com/iphone and when clicking on the image on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix-like
I did a ramtest and it is clean (ran for the whole night) and a Lenovo harware test and everything passed.
This is making it impossible to use the computer effectively.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot