PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't play DVD's?

WarpCon
August 24th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I can't get none of the players to play a dvd. I installed ubuntu friday night and im a complete noobe. I used to used unix and linix when all it was was a command line screen. But im stumped with this gui stuff. I tried totem first and it said it did'nt have the correct codec installed, so i went looking around and i think i installed the libdvdcss2 and some other packages correctly, but now when i start totem it pops up and then disappears. I tried mplayer, all it does is lock up. And gxine lockes the whole computer up. I have to pull the power cord to get it to go away when that happens. Or there any step by steps for a noobe to get totem up and running? I went to Medibuntu but it dont give step by step. It said Something about if i installed the whole library do this and that but it did'nt say where I could get the whole library. Any help would be thankfull.

bobnutfield
August 24th, 2008, 05:40 PM
If you don't already have Medibuntu repo installed, go here to get it:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Read the howtos on that site and all multimedia issues should be solved. Much easier to install codec, etc. from this repo.

super.rad
August 24th, 2008, 06:07 PM
theres is another guide here http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Hardy#Installing_DVD_Support plus loads of other useful guides for beginners

WarpCon
August 24th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Ok i went to medibuntu and installed w32codecs. When it finished the software update ballon poped up and said libdvdcss2 needed to be installed, so i installed that. Now totem will load the playlist but after a couple of seconds it still dissapears. Any idea's? Also, when i downloaded the package it said it wasnt part of a free library, did i download the wrong thing?

wolfen69
August 24th, 2008, 06:24 PM
i have noticed many people having problems lately with totem. have you considered trying another player such as vlc? whatever works, right?

Vivaldi Gloria
August 24th, 2008, 06:42 PM
1) Enable medibuntu repos following the "Repository HowTo" here:

http://www.medibuntu.org/

You need to enter the following commands as explained there:

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update

This is true for ubuntu 8.04. For other versions see that link.

2) Then install the following programs using the command

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2 libdvdread3 libdvdnav4 build-essential ubuntu-restricted-extras

3) Check if encrypted DVDs work. If not try this command in a terminal:

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh

That should do it.

WarpCon
August 24th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Ok i installed VLC Player and it does the same thing as totem, when it starts it just dissapears. Gloria, I tried that and it downloaded about 148 megs of sunjava stuff, installed and totem still does the same thing, it just dissapears when it comes up. I tried the last command you put up and it said in the terminal that it couldnt find that command.

I put in a DVD that i had copied and took all the encryption off just to see if that was causing it and it done the same thing with that disk too.

Is there any way i can take all the packeges, libraries and whatever else i put on back out? If there not going to work why have them in there? Then i will either reformat and start over , or?

WarpCon
August 24th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Sorry for the bump. I'm starting to think that since 2 differant player or doing the same thing and just dissapearing after they start that its something to do with the operating system and not the players? any thoughts?

WarpCon
August 25th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Ok i have tried everything. I uninstalled all the players and packages and then reinstalled totem, then a few others and they still wont play. Do i need to report a bug somewhere?

The only option i have now is to go back to windoz. My wifes tv blew up so she took mine, my computer is the only thing i got to watch movies on now . Wheres the mad emotions at? lol

meanburrito920
August 25th, 2008, 03:34 AM
run vlc from the gnome-terminal, so it will give you a message when it closes. post the message here.

SunnyRabbiera
August 25th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Ok i have tried everything. I uninstalled all the players and packages and then reinstalled totem, then a few others and they still wont play. Do i need to report a bug somewhere?

The only option i have now is to go back to windoz. My wifes tv blew up so she took mine, my computer is the only thing i got to watch movies on now . Wheres the mad emotions at? lol

Dont give up, there are still many things to try.
Try other players like Xine, Mplayer and the like.
What about libdvdread, try installing that too?

WarpCon
August 25th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I got vlc running in the terminal but i dont know how to start it. Do i have to add a playlist or open the dvd drive?