PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Upgrading from one release to the next

hoverX
August 24th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I'm really looking forward to the 8.10 release of Ubuntu. I do have one concern though. How easy is it to upgrade from one release to the next. Do you have to do a full reinstall? or can you just do some form of upgrade?

Elfy
August 24th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Thought I'd answered - you already, must have lost it lol

You don't have to a full reinstall, when it get's released you can do it with your update manager. Some people though do report having problems, you don't obvioulsy hear from those who don't.

Personally I don't upgrade I reinstall - gives me a clean slate to dirty again :)

Joeb454
August 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I tend to do a reinstall, but that's just because it gives me something to do ;)

nonpc
August 24th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I don't think it is worth using 8.10 yet.
A lot of time left until the 08.10 so we all can happily shake hands and start using it, yay.

Joeb454,
lol, I kind of agree that sometimes it is just nothing else to do with Linux, only to try fixing it. I kind of felt cool doing that, but it all comes to an and when you don't have anything to fix, bah :(

Elfy
August 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I will add that if you use an older nvidia card - don't change to intrepid when it's been released until you are sure that the nvidia drivers are all working with the new xorg - at the moment they don't all do so.

Although that said it would give me soemthing to do joeb :D