PDA

View Full Version : What career(s) are you pursuing?

Quest-Master
November 14th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Naturally, since we're just about all Linux and OSS users and/or enthusiasts, most people would expect that everyone's probably getting an education to pursue a job in computers or have already reached their goal and have a job.

More than likely that's not right though. What career do you guys already have or are going to pursue? I'm expecting a huge variety of answers, so let it out. :D

Me? I have no idea right now. Just getting an education and hopefully get a vibe for something in the coming years. :P

BWF89
November 14th, 2005, 01:51 AM
I have absolutely no idea what I want to do.

panickedthumb
November 14th, 2005, 01:59 AM
I was originally going to go into music, that was my plan all through high school, but I quickly realized that putting as much time into music as I'd need to, I'd come to hate it. My senior year of high school I got my first PC, and three months later I was bored with Windows so I tried Linux (though I couldn't handle it then) and the network admin at school said I should go into computers in some way. I ended up majoring in Computer Science and got totally burnt out on it so I switched to journalism and got totally burnt out on it, so I decided to quit college until I made up my mind. I worked a couple of computer tech jobs, and now I'm the network/computer technician for a regional bank, and I love where I am. I may go back to college once my wife gets done, I may not.

As far as where I'm going from here, who knows?

Brunellus
November 14th, 2005, 02:21 AM
I'll let Sir Joseph Porter, KCB, from Gilbert & Sullivan's HMS Pinafore speak for me:

When I was a lad I served a term
As office-boy to an attorney's firm;
I cleaned the windows and I swept the floors
And I polished up the handle of the big front door
[CHORUS of Sailors &c: He polished...&c]

xequence
November 14th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Business, though my business will have something to do with computers.

NMUrugbysteve
November 14th, 2005, 03:45 AM
I'm a Theatre student who works in media production as well. I couldn't have computers as a career, then what would i do for fun?

Master Shake
November 14th, 2005, 04:00 AM
I've been working in IT for 8 years at a company that has just decided that they don't give a crap about their employees.

My career now is to find a better job doing ANYTHING that pays more than the pitiful pittance they "allow" me to have.

bored2k
November 14th, 2005, 04:25 AM
I am studying to become Systems Engineer. It's the "closest" career in my country dealing with the things I enjoy: computing in general. I don't know a lot of teens my age who study the same thing I do and who use Linux, so I think I am kinda ahead of my competition in that aspect. Also, although I want computing to be my career, I'd like something that lets me put my language studies to work as I am someone really interested in language studies.

Whatever it is, I just hope I'm ready and content with what Gods makes me do.

Iandefor
November 14th, 2005, 04:29 AM
I've still got a couple years to go before I'm even out of high school, but right now I'd like to pursue a degree in computer science (I don't even know what I want to do in terms of career yet) after I graduate.

fuscia
November 14th, 2005, 04:31 AM
i'm a voice teacher and i have absolutely no use for computers. they're just nice toys, to me.

super
November 14th, 2005, 05:27 AM
i am supposed to be a 'water system technician'. i look after stuff like chemical waste from industrial plants, pure water filtration (like in pharmaceutical products) and drinking water systems. i been doing it for about 3 years now and i like it. i have no substantial credentials or degree. i just started into it after high school and read alot about it. it pays well enough that i only have to work 3 days a week so i think i am gonna stick with it.

regarding a career tho i'm fairly ambition-less. it's just a job that allows me to look after myself while giving me a bit of free time.

raublekick
November 14th, 2005, 05:50 AM
I am in my 4th year of my college career as a Computer Science major. Unfortunately, I need to take a full 5th year, but I'm actually really liking school for the first time ever.

I just quit a job with a web development company. I've been maintaining a website with some friends for a few years now, and I thought the world of coldfusion/asp/php/etc would be my niche. But once I got a job in it I realized it's only fun as a hobby for me.

Now I have no idea what to do!

SSTwinrova
November 14th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Currently a Freshman majoring in Software Engineering, aspiring to become a game developer :)

drummer
November 14th, 2005, 06:45 AM
I've just finished school (signed out today) and have applied for Computer Science and Software Engineering degrees at uni. I'm not exactly sure about what I want to do as a carreer, but hopefully something in those areas.

adwait
November 14th, 2005, 06:53 AM
I am studying to become Systems Engineer. It's the "closest" career in my country dealing with the things I enjoy: computing in general. I don't know a lot of teens my age who study the same thing I do and who use Linux, so I think I am kinda ahead of my competition in that aspect. Also, although I want computing to be my career, I'd like something that lets me put my language studies to work as I am someone really interested in language studies.

Whatever it is, I just hope I'm ready and content with what Gods makes me do.
Hey that's exactly same as me! I am interested in languages....and am pursuing computer engineering!

bored2k
November 14th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Hey that's exactly same as me! I am interested in languages....and am pursuing computer engineering!
That's kinda nice. Not alone. Heh :).

manicka
November 14th, 2005, 07:17 AM
I'm a Teacher of kids aged 5-12. I also maintain my schools network of macs (@60 machines) and train staff in the use of IT and utilising my Dept's wan, which is vast.

Iandefor
November 14th, 2005, 08:02 AM
That's kinda nice. Not alone. Heh :).

Far from it, apparently. I'm in the same boat as adwait and you, Bored2K.
I like languages a lot as well as want a career in computing... is there a trend here? :)

aSTeRiX
November 14th, 2005, 10:41 AM
High school student taking CCNA training through my high school. I'm aiming to be a network troubleshooter and server administrator.

ScoobyDan
November 14th, 2005, 02:15 PM
I've been working in IT for 8 years at a company that has just decided that they don't give a crap about their employees.

My career now is to find a better job doing ANYTHING that pays more than the pitiful pittance they "allow" me to have.

This sounds familiar...

I have been working for my present employer for 10 years, the last 5 as Webmaster and IT Security Analyst, but I am seriously looking for alternative employment at the moment. Prefer to work from home, either as web designer, or something totally non-IT. I've got two young children, and the thought of spending 2 hours a day commuting is getting to me...

Daniel

Pablo_Escobar
November 14th, 2005, 02:36 PM
I have a Masters Degree in joined Computer Studies and Economics = Econometrics. It was good for me as I'm currently happy with my job :)

tehwa
November 14th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Indeed, I previously worked as a programmer. The company i was working for went broke: no more job. I looked for other IT work, and was still unemployed after 6 months. But I realised something: "Why work in a field with so much uncertainty and lack of job security, when there are tons of fields to develop a stable career within, while toying with computers in my spare time?"

So me (hopefully) = Radiographer. good pay, interesting work, and plenty of geek time while earning 25k AU / year just for being on call.

Malphas
November 14th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I kind of drifted into doing a computer science degree when I left school but the whole systems analysis and project management side (which is at least 50% of the course) bored me immensely; plus I don't really want a job fixing other people's code or working for some megacorp. Then there's the market; when I was leaving school and getting advice on what to do next, it was booming in the run up to 2000 and the whole millenium bug thing, now there's much more qualified people and less jobs available.

So I quit two years in, took a year out working as a fabricator and now I'm back at university studying sports science.

cstudent
November 14th, 2005, 03:26 PM
My life's story:

Graduated high school in 1977 and went to college for 2 years majoring in music performance and education (jazz guitar). Dad died in 1979 and I quit school and went to work in the restaurant field (like fries with that?). Met my wife at work and started back to college. Recieved a two year associates degree in data processing. Worked for 10 to 11 years doing data entry work. Got burnt out on that and started a wood working business (hobby that grew). Actually started getting enough work that I was going to hire help and then Mom got cancer. Dropped everything and took care of her until she passed away. Decided to go back to work in the computer field and now I'm an office manager/network admin/data entry clerk/janitor for an coin operated amusement company. At age 46 I started back to college this past September to obtain a four year computer science degree. I hope to become a programmer for Linux applications when I grow up.

Bill

kanenas.net
November 14th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Really, I don't like the word career !!! I see programming as a hobby... currently working as a programmer ;-)
I have already studied and teach physics for 4 years and I think that programming is more good for me (I don't know what by boss thinks !)

mrgnash
November 14th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Teaching English as a foreign language, probably in South Korea. From what I hear, Linux is taking over there so hopefully what I'm learning now as a hobby will prove to be an asset later on ;)

itatabitovski
November 14th, 2005, 04:26 PM
I studied 2 years of Computer Science and Electronics before I moved to another country and got DipHE in Multimedia Design and Communication, I moeved again and I am about to get my bachelors in Internet and Communication Technology. I am probably gonna move again after that and do some master studies somewhere else.

I have no real clue what I want my career to be.

Ride Jib
November 14th, 2005, 07:07 PM
I currently do web development full-time, but may be soon switching over to system administration. I also manage real-estate [owned by my sister], and do moderate training for my father's travel company [as it will be mine in a few years when he retires]. And, an old friend and I have been developing education-based software on the side in an attempt to start up our own company or [preferribly] sell the business model to a larger company.

I guess you could say I have my hands full, yet I still find time to play around on Linux :)

TheIdiotThatIsMe
November 14th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I'm currently in a two year half day program for high schoolers (Juniors and Seniors, I'm currently a senior). My particular program is in IT, teaching basic programming with VB.NET, basic web design with HTML (and later on Flash), internet security, networking, Office (as if most of us dont already know it), and computer forensics. I'm hoping to attend a small college in NW Ohio for a bachelor's degree in Computer Forensics (just a tad bit worried about the cost though, $25,500 for tuition, room and board and food).

saphil
November 14th, 2005, 07:43 PM
I have a Masters in IT and teach at a little college in the Atlanta area as an adjunct. I am also the CIO of a little company that develops data-driven web sites from Open source and from the ground up. My corporate thing has just gone through the roof with VoIP sales to (mostly) residential accounts. Pretty much have dropped everything but school and VoIP for the foreseeable future.

When there is a little free time I am intending to go back to school and get a PhD in Integrated studies. There are no programs in Reality Engineering, i.e. designing the experience of Internet and the world around it.

:-)

Chayak
November 14th, 2005, 08:05 PM
I'm a US Navy Submarine Sonar Technician. I've worked with sonar mainframes that run linux and now I'm working with the development of autonomous underwater vehicles. Iím a systems administrator and I also do some side work with experimental robotics.

majikstreet
November 14th, 2005, 09:28 PM
I am going to be a cardio-thoracic surgeon... nothing to do with computers heh.

aysiu
November 14th, 2005, 09:41 PM
I don't have a career any more.

I used to teach high school English (in both public and private schools) until I got burnt out.

Now I just have a job until I can figure out what I want to do. The job's not a bad job (I like it, actually), but it's not a career, either.

I'd love for my wife to make enough money so I can be a househusband...

dbott67
November 14th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Short version:
- BSc from University of Waterloo
- 3 years retail computer sales
- 4 years self-employed computer consultant
- 5 years teaching computer networking program at local college
- for the past 6 years, IT Manager/Systems Administrator

Along the way I got married to my beautiful wife, had 2 beautiful girls and can't think of a better place to work and live! :)

Long version:
I graduated from the University of Waterloo back in '90 with a BSc in Science (no major --- started in Physics, switched to general sciences). After graduation, I found my self selling computers in a retail environment. Over my 3 years there, I developed an affinity to fixing/repairing most computer problems without the computer having to leave the store (normally, we'd have to ship the computers back to IBM or what-have-you and 8-to-10 weeks later, the customer would get their computer back. YIKES!). Anyhow, as fate would have it, some guy came in one day with a problem... I fixed him up and he told me that it seemed that I really knew what I was doing. He basically convinced me to start my own computer consulting company and that he had a former client (he used to work for Olivetti) that needed a network admin. The client hired my services, and a few months later another office of this international accounting firm hired me as well.

While still working for my clients, I decided to enroll in a computer networking program at the local college to get some "credentials", as most of my knowledge was self-taught and I wanted to "fill in the gaps". Turned out that there weren't many gaps, as about half-way through the 1 yr. program the college asked me to teach the networking components of the program the next year (NT4 & Netware) and I ended up teaching there for 5 years.

Then in 1999, a former student called and asked if I was interested in the Systems Administrator position that just opened up at the local library. After a bit of consideration, I folded up my business and went to work at the library. Since then, I've been promoted to IT Manager, but I still function as the network/systems administrator.

We've got 4 locations, 150 PCs, a dozen or so servers (from AIX to NT4, 2000, 2003, a few dedicated "appliances" running some *nix variant). I spent the last few years on a consortium of public sector groups (public school board, catholic school board, health system, regional gov't, library and local college) trying to get a multi-gigabit fibre network built in the region. Anyhow, 3 of our sites are connected and the fourth should be hooked up by the end of the year. I can't wait!

That's my story so far...

-Dave

crispingatiesa
November 14th, 2005, 10:44 PM
matemathician here, been there done that, working on economics applications now, a lot of computing time now but mostly writting memos and ****** "white papers" .. I'm missing the glorious times when chaos theory was all the hip and we all just want to programme the latest mandelbrook set in turbo pascal.

I can say I have a good job and I enjoy my time plenty of jazz bars etc... Linux is just a hobbie.

akniss
November 14th, 2005, 11:26 PM
I'm an agricultural research scientist at a land grant university. I perform a lot of statistical analysis, which is where I became interested in R, an open source statistical program. Computers are just a hobby. although my hobby sometimes takes up more time than my job, since all my co-workers come to me when they have computer problems. I just received my Breezy CDs in the mail, so I will be handing them out to all who come to me with Windows crashes from now on!!!

jyank
November 15th, 2005, 03:14 AM
I suppose I got lucky in a sense. The summer before my senior year in high school I got a part time job helping my school district unbox and setup their pcs, they had about 800 or so throughout the district so it took some time and I got the know the guys there pretty well.

Once school was about to start up again and the PCs were all setup, I asked them if I could do an internship with them (it counted as an easy credit for school) and they agreed. For a year I was an intern (unpaid :( ) pretty much shadowing the network admins / support techs. After senior year was over they offered me a job being a support tech which I took right away. Right now, though, I'm still currently in my third semester in a networking degree. The future you say? Well, I'd like to stay where I am, I'm pretty happy. What I gain from finishing college is a nice pay raise :)

agger
November 15th, 2005, 06:27 AM
I have an M.Sc. in Physics and Computer Science (wrote a thesis in theoretical physics, on The Theory of Photon-Impact Bound-Free Pair Production and Applications to Relativistic Heavy-Ion Collisions (http://www.modspil.dk/agger/speciale.pdf), no less - well, actually it's mostly run-of-the-mill relativistic quantum mechanics and was pretty much fun to make, if you like that kind of stuff) and have been working as a software engineer ever since I left the university, in 1996.

I'm currently working for a company specializing in software for newspapers (editorial and advert sales systems).

tehwa
November 15th, 2005, 06:55 AM
I am going to be a cardio-thoracic surgeon... nothing to do with computers heh.
Geez, that's gotta be a tough 10 years :). It might be more about computers in the future though, the tools that they use nowadays (at least in cardiac/vascular surgery) are beginning to lean towards more advanced technology, and the use of computers (angiography, etc...)

At least you didn't choose Colorectal.

werty
November 15th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Hiya!
Right now i am doing my post-graduate degree in media sciences (M.Sc Electronic Media).
I try to use open source softwares for my production....
I am really impressed.
I ve got another three years to complete my course. So you guess i dont have
anything to do as for now.
But my degree sure is interesting....

openmind
November 15th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I'm an Electrical Technician in Industry. I keep machines running, which means anything from troubleshooting the problem to changing motors to downloading programs into the industrial cpu's.

I've been doing this for 20+ years, I want to change my career to something to do with computers. Failing that I still need to get out of this, (yes another company that treats it's employees like expendable cannon fodder):(

Pathogenix
November 15th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I'm going backwards: currently a programmer of two or three years, and about to start my comp sci/math. degree. I'd be interested in bio-informatics because I'm a biology geek who dropped out of school, putting an end to fantasies of medical school.

Also interested in doing anything with very little margin for error - starting as a web developer and moving into .Net means you never actually program a computer... just frameworks. I think I'd quite like to take the safety harness off and do something low-level for a bit.

More immediate plans are to ditch .Net in favour of C++ or Java so I can stop dual booting :)

tomski
November 15th, 2005, 11:53 AM
i'm a customer support technician for a medium sized isp that has been running since 1996 from surrey england, i have been doing this job for the past six months.
previous i was working in factory's and got very pissed off with that life so i started building pc's, creating websites, installing software & providing tech support for a few clients & friends

been into computers since 11 when i got a ZX81 for my 11 birthday, never looked back (until i got fed up with windows) then i discoverd linux yippee

Kuolio
November 15th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I'm stydying culture production, specializing on sociocultural dramaworks, empoverment/motivating and art's. Things like producing festivals and drama/theatre things, concentrating on the social side of things such as "Theatre Of the Oppressed", "Forum Theatre" and socialy motivating drama/art-workshops.

At the same time, I'm also studying computer Sciences/Programming at Open University (degree equals fully for normal finnish University degree).

So I spend my days doing theatre, acting, studying psychology and groupmanagement, Art and such...

And then by night, I dig up my Laptop and start coding. Bit like Batman, eigh ;) ?

drgreborn
February 25th, 2006, 07:03 AM
I just join a startup company doing multimedia as a freelancer. The coy seem interested in developing games for linux. ^^ yeay! Been busy introducing Ubuntu to the developers there. Hope it falls through.:mrgreen:

b_del_priore
February 25th, 2006, 07:17 AM
I used to be an IT Manager, and I wrote automated telephone dialing software for UNIX systems. I hated my job, became a commercial fisherman for a year, then went on to work at UPS for three years.

I left UPS, and now I'm a Production Manager for an automotive recycling facility in Washington. I've never been happier. God has been good to me.:-D

magomago
February 25th, 2006, 10:04 AM
I think its interesting how quite a few people are from multimedia....

Anyways currently a student pursuing a double major in Biomedical Engineering and Materials Science Engineering. Gotta love double the requirements and only 1 class overlap ;)

I'm not sure what I want to do when I get out...my interests are biomechanics, biomaterials, and the mechanical characterization of soft tissue~ I would LOVE to get a chance to get a job working in the cardiovascular field. Its very appealing and interesting!

computers to me are a past time and one I enjoy.

Havoc
February 25th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I'm stydying Philosophy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy) and Pedagogy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedagogy) at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotle_University_of_Thessaloniki).

Hopefully, I'll find a job as a programmer somewhere. ;)

exclipy
February 25th, 2006, 11:56 AM
I'm currently in second-year Software Engineering and considering a second degree in science at The University of Queensland, Australia. I work part time as a web developer (remotely for most of the year) and wanna work at Google doing Python script-fu.

bonzodog
February 25th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I admit I left school 16 years ago with no quals, and I then got a years training in computers with technology relevant to 1989 (IBM XT's and Amstrad Word Processors on CP/M). I decided shortly after that that I hated offices, and could never work in a closed team environment. I had always wanted to be a truck driver, which is a lot like being your own boss, so I went and got my licences and was left laughing at the IT workers when I realised that I was being paid more than them for driving vehicles up and down the motorways.
Linux has always been a hobby to me, and I admit to being a total geek, and when the weather is nice, you cannot beat being out in the sun with the window down and the radio on, and you're being paid for it!!

commodore
February 25th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I want to become a media/graphical designer. Doesn't sound interesting, but it is to me. I have one big problem: how can I do it on Linux? I might have to get a dual booting Mac.

nik
February 25th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I used to build wooden boats. Everything from small, traditional rowing boats to 50' cold moulded sailing yachts. But now I'm studying marin biology :)

dearanna
February 25th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Hey commadore, man, I'm pursuing the same thing, in fact, I start freshman year of college in August!! I'm going to do that exact thing, make a dual boot Mac G5. Hey, if you want, email me so we can keep in contact during our careers, who knows it may help us to know someone else in the industry. My email is matthewherch@gmail.com

I'm going to a two-year college, then transfering to a four year!!:)

Almighty
February 25th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Wow,

After reading what some of you guys are doing and have done I feel like I have wasted the last 27 years of my life. I am a distance learning lab facillitator for the Marine Corps distance learning program. All I do is sit on a Win2K box boot to my Ubuntu/Knoppix live disc and try to figure out how in the world do I use these things. I also am about to take the exams for my A+ cert and will be taking a N+ course in Apr.

I suppose in the end I would like to be a Network Admin or IT consultant.

Tarmon.Gaidon
February 25th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Iam not really sure what i want to pursue yet, though I know it will be something in computer science and such. But I still have high school to finsh. Haha.

RCRedneck
February 25th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Spent 4 years in the Air Force in the late 70's in law enforcement. Went to work for a small family owned lumber business when I got out and have been ever since. I am the Credit Manager and the IT department for the company now. We have grown to three retail stores and two manufacturing facilities now. Still not sure what I want to do when I grow up though.

Mike

Mr.X
February 25th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Im currently doing a course at TAFE, then going to do webdesign (after this course [cert2], going to do Cert3,4 then diploma).

simon_is_learning
February 25th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I'm in school.
Trying to be a sound engineer.

When I grow up, I want to work on a concert-hall or some kind maybe.
Why I am learning linux is so that when it comes to computers, and I get a problem that needs to be fixed. I will be able to say:
What the heck - let's develop a solution..Open Source..

also Sound and Linux I hope will bring me many hours of problem-solving.

nobodysbusiness
February 25th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I got my start in the late 70's when I was born. After that, I filled in a few preliminaries like childhood, and then got a degree in CS at U of Waterloo. I went to work as a programmer on Windows, while running Linux as my primary OS at home. It's interesting that this thread was started at just this time, because I actually have some news:

I've been at the same job since I graduated (almost 3 years), and I was never happy with how things were done. More recently, I started looking around for new jobs, and I think I have finally found the perfect one. It's a new startup, with VC funding and about 12 people working there. This monday will be my first day. Each developer gets two computers with a KVM switch: a Fedora Core 4 box for development, and a Windows box for Outlook and Word. (I plan on seeing if I can get my Fedora box set up so I never have to turn the windows box on). I am finally into the high-tech area where I feel I belong! I'm so excited about spending my days developing on Linux! (The stock options are pretty good too)

Anyway, sorry to brag. I just can't help myself.

simon is learning: I saw a presentation on creating an internet radio station with only open source software last month. Look at www.kwlug.org for the details. Maybe they posted the slides.

naked
February 25th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I'm still in undergrad working towards a double major in Theology and Youth Ministry with a minor in Greek. I'm thinking about an M.Div or something, but right now I'm just tired of school and ready to move on.

Kernel Sanders
February 25th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I'm currenty between jobs..... (Just quit working for a ****** call centre)

I'm trying to earn as much money as possible, because in september i'm going back to university (I already have a degree) to train as a barrister.

\\:D/

Derek Djons
February 25th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I tought computers were 100% my thing but after only one study I gave up. Screwing computers gets me quickly bored. Writing applications even more. I'm always coyping as much as I can from previous projects and websites (in case of html, css, xml) I really don't have the puff to write it from scratch.

But I discovered some management qualities in myself. All round those are. So I hope to find a nice study and in the future work as manager or CEO :D

blastus
February 25th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I'm actually thinking about joining the local police force as a crimes investigator. If that doesn't pan out then a private detective, mercenary or assassin would do.

Bragador
February 25th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I'm finishing my baccalaureate degree in psychology. I'm trying to understand what we are and what the hell is "reality". If I have the marks I might do a master in philosophy. Perhaps I'll be a psychology teacher or something I can't think of right now. We'll see.

carl13
February 26th, 2006, 01:54 AM
I'm finishing my baccalaureate degree in psychology. I'm trying to understand what we are and what the hell is "reality". If I have the marks I might do a master in philosophy. Perhaps I'll be a psychology teacher or something I can't think of right now. We'll see.

You should study some of the post-modern therapies such as Narrative Therapy and Michael White's work. These therapies integrate post-modern philosophy into therapy. I think that you would find it interesting if you have not studied it yet. I have a master's degree in counseling and I have found the therapies that include post-modern philosophy to be the most useful and interesting.

peppermint
February 26th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Ive recently been excepted into 5 universities for courses in Programming and Animation. I don't know where I'm going to go after that.

drgreborn
February 26th, 2006, 04:49 AM
woah! 5 universities? That is so cool! The Programing and Animation course where I am are not so good. Waiting for digipen to open their campus here.

xhie
February 26th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Well lets see here... After swiching majors 7 times I realized I want a electrical engineering degree, halfway through that I came to understand that all of the electrical engineers out there making the big money are really programmers so I added a computer engineering degree. At my school theres really very little differance between CE and CS degrees, really just a few classes, so I end up takeing software / theory electives.

Its all good, I stare at the computer while I'm at school either programming or desigining something then I go home and stare at the computer some more either programming or fiddleing with linux, somewhere in between I drink alot of beer.

Linux + Programming + Beer = 90% of my time.

As far as a carrer goes all I know is that someday after I graduate someone is going to pay me money to sit around at home and do something EE related. Probably on the computer.

bluevoodoo1
February 26th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Linux + Programming + Beer = 90% of my time.

HAHA!

I'd have to say Linux + Guitar + Beer = 90% of my time.

I should have a Master of Music in classical guitar performance in May (degree recital is next saturday [I should be practicing and not on here!!!], oral exam and a few easy classes are the only things I have left). Then, hopefully, I will have gotten in to a school for my Doctoral degree (I wait for phone calls/emails/letters everyday) in guitar performance with perhaps a minor in music theory pedagogy. Not completely sure about the minor yet. But in any case, I would like to teach classical guitar at the university level.

Bandit
February 26th, 2006, 12:29 PM
I want to become a sit at home dad but those darn credit card bills keep comming in.