PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Audio goes in hardy, and must reload alsa

djrobthaman
August 24th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Hi,

I've been having a problem with my sound on hardy and thought maybe someone had already figured it out. I'm not exactly sure what happens, but after a while something gives and no applications can output any audio. Once that happens, the only way I can get anything to output sound is to quit any application that can output sound (that includes firefox if I have and pages with flash videos loaded) and reload alsa from the terminal.

Then, when I restart the apps, audio is usually fine. This happens very often though. I think I've had to restart alsa at least 5 times today, probably more.

Does anyone know what this problem could be and if there is a permanent fix for it?

Thanks

wolfen69
August 24th, 2008, 04:49 AM
do you have libflashsupport installed?

djrobthaman
August 24th, 2008, 06:41 AM
No I don't and reading the description in synaptic maybe I should. But this audio glitch affects every program, not just flash. Do you think flash could cause something like that?

djrobthaman
August 26th, 2008, 02:27 AM
wolfen69, installed the package and still having the same audio problems (with flash as well as other programs).

Any other suggestions?

djrobthaman
August 28th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I've just made a bit of a realization. I thiink only one application can use alsa at a time. And whichever one gets use of alsa first will hog it and alsa needs to be reloaded for something else to.

See anything like that before?