PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gtkpod: Synching Ratings on iPod With Local Library

grittyminder
August 24th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Hi there,

A year or two ago I had an Windows iTunes/iPod setup with all my music located on an external USB disk drive. I don't remember exactly the string of events that led to this happening, but basically Windows died (permanently) and the boot data (and possibly other data) on my USB disk drive was corrupted. This is all well and fine--I don't need help with these issues. The problem I am currently facing is this...

Being very busy, and somewhat lazy, I did not immediately attempt to recover the music data on my USB disk drive. Instead, I continued to listen to the music already on my iPod (20GBs worth, which is a lot to listen to) for about a period of 1 1/2 years. During that period of time, I made great use of the iPod rating feature to rate songs, and I discovered that there are a lot of songs on my iPod that I did not care for.

Fast forward to today, I've since recovered all all my music from the USB disk drive and created a Samba music server to house my music library. I am now ready to re-synch my iPod with some new (finally!) music. However! If possible I would like to synch the ratings for songs on my iPod with the new music library on the Samba server. That way, when I create a new playlist I can create a rule to omit all the songs that I've rated poorly over the past 1 1/2 years.

Is there a way to do this? Is this possible?

grittyminder
August 27th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I'm going to bump this thread in the hopes that somebody knowledgeable with Gtkpod might be able to help out...

grittyminder
August 27th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I think I may have figured this out. What I did was create a new playlist in my local library, copy the existing iPod playlist from the iPod to the new playlist I just created, then select "Sync Playlist With Dir(s)." At a glance all the ratings, play frequency, etc. seem to have transferred over from my iPod to my local library.