PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to Backup to USB External HD?

archer6
August 23rd, 2008, 10:04 PM
Here is my Windows XP Backup Method, as an example:

When working in Windows XP, I would open two windows explorer windows, tile them vertically side by side, then drag and drop files from My Documents Folder to the Window for the Western Digital Passport External Hard Drive for Backup.

How do I accomplish this in Ubuntu ?

Thanks

rooster_fruit
August 23rd, 2008, 10:09 PM
wouldn't you do the same thing? just mount the external drive and open your home directory and copy files in a similar manner.

rsnow
August 23rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
When I turn on my external HD, Ubuntu automatically mounts it and opens a window showing the folders on the drive. I can then go to Places/Home and find the files I want to copy to the external drive and either drag-n-drop or copy-n-paste just like in XP.

archer6
August 23rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
That's what I thought, however I'm having trouble getting a second window to appear so that I can drag and drop the files across to the external drive. I'm sure I'm overlooking something really simple. A bit embarrassing really....as this must be an easy task...:)

archer6
August 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
When I turn on my external HD, Ubuntu automatically mounts it and opens a window showing the folders on the drive. I can then go to Places/Home and find the files I want to copy to the external drive and either drag-n-drop or copy-n-paste just like in XP.
Now this makes a lot of sense to me, and I'm wondering if I simply have a bad USB cable between the drive and the laptop, as it's used to power the drive from the USB port as well as transfer the data. The cord is a few years old, and I'm thinking that I should try a new one.