PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] LAMP installed - now what?

anewguy
August 23rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Okay, I'm asking some dumb questions again! :)

I recently installed LAMP, since I want to try to do some web development. I have experience from YEARS ago using SQL with Oracle, and have done my own DBA work. My dumb questions center on trying to do this via a web site. Some friends have a small herbal and naturals store and would like a web presence where orders can be placed. I've watched some of the ads for web servers like 1to1 or 1on1, whatever it's called, trying to get ideas on what is needed to have it support online ordering and credit card payment and a shopping cart. I then need to actually know how to USE those tools, and more specifically what I need to do on the server side to access a small database (MySQL) of products/prices. I have written things in PERL before to generate web pages on the fly, and don't know if that is what I need to do now or if there are more "modern" tools now available.

So, ANY ideas, help, etc., would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks in advance! :)

anewguy
August 24th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Okay, I forgot to mention the most important thing - I installed LAMP so I could do this development and test it on my Ubuntu PC. I've got NO idea what to do - are there any guides, how-to's, etc.?

Thanks!

Iowan
August 24th, 2008, 12:48 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP
This is a starting point. I'm in the same boat - just with less experience. I've borrowed a few books from the library, and printed off some How-To's from the web, but my pace is considerably slower than your's.

anewguy
August 24th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Thanks much!! That will give me a good starting point to try to figure out how the heck to do this stuff!!

Good luck with yours as well!! :)