PDA

View Full Version : How to install an icon set?

Mashy
August 23rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
I downloaded the bws icons set from gnome look, in .tar.gz format, and am having some trouble installing them.
Everything I've googled seems to suggest that I should either install it like I would a theme (from the system, preferences, appearance, theme window) or to pick an existing theme, click on customize, go to icons and that there should be an install button for icons there.
But there isn't.

Can someone please tell me what I should be doing to install a set of icons.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks.

OutOfReach
August 23rd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Just open up System>Preferences>Appearence and drag and drop the .tar.gz file into the Appearence window and it will ask you if you want to apply the theme and press Yes. :)

Mashy
August 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Just open up System>Preferences>Appearence and drag and drop the .tar.gz file into the Appearence window and it will ask you if you want to apply the theme and press Yes. :)

That's what I've been trying, and how a few sites have said how to do it. I get an error message saying that Icons does not appear to be a valid theme.

OutOfReach
August 23rd, 2008, 09:02 PM
Hmm, okay try this:
Extract the .tar.gz file.
Open up the file manager and goto:
~/.icons
Drag and drop the extracted file into file manager.
The folder should show up in the file manager, now goto System>Preferences>Appearence and press the Customize button, goto the Icons tab and your theme should show up, select it and exit.

Mashy
August 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
Hmm, okay try this:
Extract the .tar.gz file.
Open up the file manager and goto:
~/.icons
Drag and drop the extracted file into file manager.
The folder should show up in the file manager, now goto System>Preferences>Appearence and press the Customize button, goto the Icons tab and your theme should show up, select it and exit.

Sorry, but where is the .icons folder? I've done a couple of searches of my computer and there are a few folders outside of my home folder with 'icons' in them, but none in the whole system with '.icons' in their name.
Where should I be looking?

Sorry, I've only been using Ubuntu for a week. XD

OutOfReach
August 23rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Ok I'll make it a little easier, goto Application>Accessories>Terminal and type in:
nautilus ~/.icons
It should bring up the icons folder.
Close the terminal and do what I have instructed. :)

Mashy
August 23rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
Ok I'll make it a little easier, goto Application>Accessories>Terminal and type in:
nautilus ~/.icons
It should bring up the icons folder.
Close the terminal and do what I have instructed. :)

Thanks, I've put the folder there but nothing is coming up in the icons tab.

Sorry for this trouble.

OutOfReach
August 23rd, 2008, 09:25 PM
Weird, can you give me the link of the icon set that you downloaded?

Mashy
August 23rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/BWS_Icons?content=83610

They seem to be a popular set.
Hmm, just looked in the comments and someone said something that each icon needs to be installed manually. Would that involve doing the same as before, just them not being in their folder, do you think?

Edit: Just did that, copied the individual images into the .icons folder and still nothing. Interesting. I'll try it with another set of icons, hopefully it's just the set and not my installation.

OutOfReach
August 23rd, 2008, 09:38 PM
Hmm, A very strange pack, you would need to organize them and that would take some time and can be frustrating, and there are only 70 icons, a very very small Icon set. I would suggest downloading another one.

Mashy
August 23rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Hmm, A very strange pack, you would need to organize them and that would take some time and can be frustrating, and there are only 70 icons, a very very small Icon set. I would suggest downloading another one.

I downloaded another few, a couple seemed to be like the other one, then I got lucky and found one that does work.

Thank you very much for your help.

OutOfReach
August 23rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
Ok no problem.
Glad to help. :)

smartboyathome
August 24th, 2008, 05:56 AM
By the way, Mashy, that icon set you linked to is just a collection of icons, not an icon theme. The guy didn't create a compatible gnome theme at all.

airtonix
August 25th, 2008, 08:50 AM
nautilus ~/.icons

Using the keyboard shortcut for focusing on the location field like you would in firefox is far easier than using the terminal to open nautilus at this location.

1. with the desktop or a active nautilus window focused, press CTRL + L
2. type : ~/.icons
3. press enter
4. ???
5. Profit

arashiko28
August 26th, 2008, 03:56 AM
It's on z7 or something like that, the author suggested install via terminal z7p and then address the zip7 to open and move it to /home/icons, go and check the page again.