PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] is there a way to get my copy of vista to run inside linux?

WinterMadness
August 23rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
i have kubuntu. but i think it should apply to any buntu distro really.

i want MY version of vista to run inside kubuntu. i like photoshop way more than gimp but dont want to restart just to use it.

will vmware do that or do i have to have another version of it?

pfdevil
August 23rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
I have never tried this myself but you should install wine, and install photoshop in there. Wine is a utility to run windows' programs.

arsenic23
August 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
It should. I have a copy of Vista running in VirtualBox.

But what version of Photoshop do you have?'
I have my copy of CS2 working pretty well in wine, and then you don't need to install Windows at all.

WinterMadness
August 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
I have never tried this myself but you should install wine, and install photoshop in there. Wine is a utility to run windows' programs.

i dont think it works, unless im doing it wrong. i click on the photoshop.exe and opened with wine and all i got was a grey screen,

Nepherte
August 23rd, 2008, 08:29 PM
It's possible to run Photoshop CS2 in wine, not sure what version you use.

pfdevil
August 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
Do a google search on it, i'm sure there will be a tutorial to guide you.

WinterMadness
August 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
It's possible to run Photoshop CS2 in wine, not sure what version you use.

i got cs3

unca.paka
August 23rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Nothing from CS3 will work in wine yet, Ive gotten Photoshop CS3 to install, but thats it, wont run. If youve got a decent rig(2.5+ghz dual core, 2gb+ ram), you could install windows in a virtualbox then run Photoshop. Filters are gonna be a bit choppy, and batch processing could possibly explode your head.

fiddledd
August 23rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
It should work fine in Virtualbox. But you'll need to check the EULA, as I remember hearing that running Vista in a Virtual Machine was against the licence. This may have changed though.

stmiller
August 23rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
Yes, you can run it inside virtualbox, which is free.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

There is also qemu, vmware, Xen,....

nhasian
August 24th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I have both Windows XP and Windows Vista both running in VirtualBox so that works fine. You could make gimp look and act like photoshop. Take a look at Gimpshop & GimPhoto.

unca.paka
August 24th, 2008, 09:45 PM
If youve got the licenses for Windows, running in a VM shouldnt be a problem. But dont quote me on that.