PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] using terminal commands on network?

garyed
August 23rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
I've got 3 computers connected to a router all dual booting Windows & Ubuntu.
I haven't got into samba yet so I only use whichever computer Linux is running on to manage files on another running Windows. If I click on places/network/... I can manage files between computers(except I can only view my home directory between the Linux ones & Windows I have full access.)
What I'm trying to do is use the terminal to view & copy files from one computer to the other.
Can any one point me in the right direction?

SukruH
August 23rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
I'm new into Ubuntu, but I think you can use ssh. It's like:

ssh -l <username> <adress of the remote computer>

loboc
August 23rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
mount -t smbfs pc:/shre /media/somefolder

cp /media/somefolder/somefile /home/you/

loboc
August 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
mount -t smbfs pc:/share /media/somefolder

cp /media/somefolder/somefile /home/you/

txcrackers
August 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
From the Linux machine, you'll need to use smbclient, which works pretty durn well. It'll function kinda like an FTP client if you use it interactively.

tuxulin
August 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
What I'm trying to do is use the terminal to view & copy files from one computer to the other.
for bunty machines do a little read on these two commands
RSYNC or SCP

if you think its too fiddly to manage multiple files at various location
from CLI then try
have a read here 1st http://www.opbyte.it/grsync/
sudo apt-get install grsync

Tuxulin

sdennie
August 23rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
If you are able to manage the files in nautilus, you can probably find all the remote mount points that nautilus knows about in ~/.gvfs. From there you can treat the samba filesystems as any other filesystem.

garyed
August 23rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks to all for the help.
So far the ssh-client is working a little.
I can view between computers using ssh but I can't copy between computers.
That's the problem I have now.
If I'm in the terminal viewing one of my computers:
"me@dell-desktop" viewing files & I want to copy a file to the actual computer I'm physically on which is "me@music-desktop" I'm lost.

I've tried cp [path/to/file me@music-desktop] but it doesn't copy anything.

AS for loboc's code:
I don't understand how to fill in the blanks especially "pc:/share" or if i need to install samba.

tangibleorange
August 23rd, 2008, 08:48 PM
smbclient //ipaddressofserver/folder

should let you in. then you will need to use the 'get' and 'put' commands to organise your files on the machine. if you're familiar with FTP, the commands are virtually the same so you should feel right at home!

garyed
August 23rd, 2008, 10:28 PM
I can get into another computer on the network through the command line.
I can even delete files from it but I can't move files from one to the other.
That's my problem.
The command line lets me go to any computer but I can't find a command that will copy a file from one to the other like I can through Nautilus.
If I can do it through the GUI it seems like it should be easy to do it though the terminal.

tangibleorange
August 23rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
I can get into another computer on the network through the command line.
I can even delete files from it but I can't move files from one to the other.
That's my problem.
The command line lets me go to any computer but I can't find a command that will copy a file from one to the other like I can through Nautilus.
If I can do it through the GUI it seems like it should be easy to do it though the terminal.

get into the computer with smbclient. make sure you are in the correct directory by using the 'cd' and 'ls' commands. then when you are in the correct directory, do:

get nameoffile

and it should then copy the file from the machine to the directory from which the command was run (default home directory)

eightmillion
August 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
I was recently looking for a managable solution to this problem also. What I do is mount most of the remote partitions that I work with on a regular basis:

sudo mount -t cifs -o uid=1000,gid=1000 //path/to/remote/server /media/smbmountdirectory
You can find out your uid and gid with id -u and id -g respectively.

If you don't wish to mount, you can use midnight commander. It's a great command line file manager that supports all kinds of remote options such as FTP SMB and NFS.

sudo apt-get install mc

garyed
August 24th, 2008, 03:27 AM
I was recently looking for a managable solution to this problem also. What I do is mount most of the remote partitions that I work with on a regular basis:

You can find out your uid and gid with id -u and id -g respectively.

If you don't wish to mount, you can use midnight commander. It's a great command line file manager that supports all kinds of remote options such as FTP SMB and NFS.

I tried that but I keep getting :
"failed, reason given by server : permission denied"
I don't get prompted for a password.
It acts like there's something I need to do to the other machine.
If I use the ssh command I get prompted for a password & then I get into the other machine but I still can't copy between the two.

eightmillion
August 24th, 2008, 03:33 AM
You might have to add the username and password into the mount command if the other computer has any share security enabled. Like so...

mount -t cifs -o username=server_user,password=server_password
//192.168.44.100/share_name /path_to/mount_point

garyed
August 24th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the ideas but I'm still not getting it.

eightmillion
August 24th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Have you tried midnight commander? I use it regularly on remote systems over ssh.

cariboo
August 24th, 2008, 04:31 AM
You can use sftp in Nautilus to transfer files back and forth. Just click the button on the left beside the location bar and enter something like the following:

sftp://<usernmar>@<remote_computer>

Jim

garyed
August 24th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I haven't tried midnight commander yet.
The sftp works pretty good in Nautilus.
What I really want to do is eventually write a script for backups so thats why I want to use terminal commands for everything.