PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Packard Bell

downeysarah
August 23rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Hi there. I've advised a friend of mine to install Ubuntu on his new computer - a Packard Bell. He's managed to install without problem and divide the hard disk in two but unfortunately Ubuntu is giving him problems with connecting to internet. His modem is a wireless, Alice modem with ethernet connection. Any ideas how I get him connected? Thanks for you help.

Joeb454
August 23rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
How is your friend trying to connect to the internet? With a cable or over wireless?

Does his internet work in Windows (I assume he has Windows installed as it's a new PC & you said he "split the drive in 2")

downeysarah
August 24th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Hi Joeb. Sorry for the delay - had kids to see to last night. He is connecting with a cable and yes, internet works in Windows. I can't help him much as when I installed Ubuntu my internet worked automatically.

philetus
August 24th, 2008, 01:31 PM
What brand of internet card is in his Packard Bell?Wired or wireless?
That would be the first place I would look.
Maybe Packard Bell put in a card not supported by Linux.

downeysarah
August 24th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I ran the hardware compatibility test and it resulted that there was something not supported by Linux (I can't remember now if it was the internet card or not, I'll check when I go back). Does this mean that there's no possibility to use Ubuntu then?

downeysarah
August 26th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Appears I need a code for network card: Realtek RTL8201N.
10/100 Mbit.

Computer info here:http://support.packardbell.com/it/item/index.php?i=spec_motherboard_antonio&ppn=PB82126606

Anyone.....? Thanks.