PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Can't install HH, now what

old-codger
August 23rd, 2008, 04:26 PM
Hi everyone,
Have been trying to install HH but it stops at the partition part.I have dapper 6.06 LTS and it works fine. But when I try to install HH every thing goes fine up to step 4 and it is blank. There are greyed out options but the part where you are suppose to chose how to set up partitions is blank. I have two different disk and both do the same thing. Both will run in live mode but no install. The computer is a DELL Dimension L800r, 800 mhz,384 ram,20 gig hd. I don't know about the other hard ware in it.I tried to download HH from the sight but when I burned a cd, it just had the same folders that I downloaded.It would not boot. I think it must not have been iso.So what do I need to do now. Oh and I tried the other dist (Kubuntu Xbuntu ect.)that are on the disk same thing. If any one can help would sure appreciate it.
Thanks old-codger

bpowell2005
August 23rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
Hello!

I've never had a problem with the partition part of the installation; and I've installed on some OLD hardware with smaller hard drives! You may want to burn another CD of Ubuntu (yes, it's an ISO, so you need to burn the ISO image to a CD, not move the ISO file to a CD). Perhaps you have a corrupted disk?

What happens if you try to run Gparted from the Ubuntu live CD?

old-codger
August 23rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
I don't know. I have not run gparted as I don't know exactly how to go about it.

old-codger
August 24th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Ok this is what I have done. Bios sees hard drive. Down load HH again and burned iso disc. Did all of the checks and it was ok. Will run live. Still would not install. Stoped at the same place. Did some reading, and with clenched teeth I ran gparted from inside the live disc. It could not find hard drive. Said no devices detected. So down load gparted live and burned disc. Ran it and it sees the hard drive. Gave the partations.I did not change anything. At 5 a.m. this morning I went to wall mart and bought new hard drive. I don't really want to use it as it is 360 gig and I have no use for that much hard drive. Sure would like to solve this as I would like my $100 back. Thanks
old-codger