PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem installing limewire

white pony
August 23rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
i tried to install Limewire and the first time the installer froze so i rebooted my comp. then the second time i tried to install i keep getting this message "only one software management tool is allowed to run at a time." there are no other programs running on my comp when this happens. help please.

Partyboi2
August 23rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
Open up System Monitor (System>Admin>System Monitor) and check if any package manager is running. If there is right click on it and choose to kill process.

white pony
August 23rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
theres no package managers running. turns out i cant install anything. it brings up the same error every time.

Partyboi2
August 23rd, 2008, 07:55 AM
Ok, try removing the lock file, open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and type

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock

white pony
August 23rd, 2008, 08:01 AM
i entered the code, but i still get the same error. If it is any consolation, the installer was stopped while doing something with java.

Partyboi2
August 23rd, 2008, 08:08 AM
ok try

sudo dpkg --configure -a

white pony
August 23rd, 2008, 08:17 AM
i don't know if it is supposed to do this, but the terminal is taking a very long time to execute the command you specified. It is saying "Setting up java-common (0.28ubuntu3) ..." and not doing anything else.

white pony
August 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM
it took a while but it works now. thank you.