PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] Computer to TiVo?

acrousey
August 22nd, 2008, 10:59 PM
I have been seeing a lot of stuff about mythbuntu, but I know almost nothing about the hardware that I would need to run it. The computer that I have been using to learn about and play around with Ubuntu is an old Compaq Presario 5127SR. It's gotta a Pentium 3 processor, 512Mb of RAM, and almost 800Gb combined hard drive storage. What would I need to add to this computer to use mythbuntu? Or if it would be best just to get a new computer, what would you guys recommend for the minimum specs? How could I make it fly?

Also, does it matter what kind of internet connection I have? At home I have basic DSL, so 256k, but I get T1 when I go to to college in about a week. But thank you all for your input!

oldsoundguy
August 22nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
http://www.mythbuntu.org/requirements

I am in the middle of building one with an Athelon 1.3, 1gb ram and 120gb HD. Using a Fusion HDTV5 RT Gold capture/tuner card. NVidia video card.

There is quite a bit of help on the Mythbuntu portion of these forums, but many of the users appear to be outside the US, so sometimes an answer is slow to surface.

you will be spending a LOT of time on Google, but the answers are THERE as well as on these forums.

hardest thing to install was the drivers for the remote control.