PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why cant I click and it works?

douggiephresh
August 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
I want to give linux a try, but is everything so difficult with this? Cant I just click something and it works?

WRDN
August 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
That is a very vague statement.

What is "everything"?

tangibleorange
August 22nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
I want to give linux a try, but is everything so difficult with this? Cant I just click something and it works?

well to be honest that's kind of a vague question. a lot of things are do-able with a point-click window these days, but to be honest, it really depends on your hardware. some people are very lucky with compatability - others are not.

you should download a Live CD from ubuntu.com and give Ubuntu a try. This CD will NOT change your computer at all (unless you choose to install), and if you don't like it, you can simply not use it again. it will also give you a good idea of you hardware's compatibilty. however, if you aren't prepared to use the terminal (command line) at all, Ubuntu may not be for you. but if you do choose to go ahead, everyone here on these great forums will be very willing to help you through any difficulties you might have!

Sealbhach
August 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM

You can do most things in Ubuntu with point and click. It's designed to be used that way.

However, if you want to do something special (or if you have hardware problems) then you may have to use the command line.

cpetercarter
August 22nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
You can quite quickly get your Ubuntu installation to a "click and it works" state, but - just like a new install of Windows - you have some grief to go through first.

What exactly are you trying to do? You will find that people on this forum are very willing to help, but they need to have a bit more information first!

snowpine
August 22nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
No, you will have to change some old habits and educate yourself somewhat. We are here to help. :)

douggiephresh
August 22nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
I dont know why, but I want to get away from windows and try something different. Right now, I am just trying to get the internet working so I can use that laptop, then I can relax without switching from computers every 5 minutes, but I already have another post for that, but not really understanding what to do. THanks

Paqman
August 22nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
If you've got an ethernet cable it might just be easier to plug straight into your router while we help you sort out your wifi troubles.