PDA

View Full Version : Midori Web Browser

Sef
August 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
Has anyone else used Midori Web Browser? It's a small lightweight browser and very fast. It is alpha, so still lots to do. With the update to 0.17, it is much more stable now than before. If you want to try it out, it is available in the universe repository.

ooobuntooo
August 22nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
I thought Midori was the name of Microsoft's new web-based OS.

Jengajam2
August 22nd, 2008, 06:29 PM
I thought Midori was the name of Microsoft's new web-based OS.

Its also the name of a manga: "Midori Days". Anyway, I tried it, and all I say is that it runs about the same as firefox, but is alot better than opera.

zmjjmz
August 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
It is really fast in terms of rendering. I was unable to compile the latest version of WebKit, so my version doesn't support plugins (like flash), but if you can compile it it should work.

kirsis
August 22nd, 2008, 06:50 PM
I tried it out and immediatly noticed that if the address bar has focus and I press Tab, the search-box does not gain focus.

Also seems slower than Firefox (under a busy system. I'm compiling Mono frmo SVN and have a ton of other apps open). Though I wouldn't say my method was very scientific - I opened ubuntu.com and made it vertically larger/smaller repeatedly :)

Anyway, a browser without an integrated download manager as good as DownThemAll will never lure me away from firefox. It's the only FF extension I can't live without

Majorix
August 22nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Do they even have a webpage? I tried searching for a Midori Browser on Google but got no signs of an official page. Sorry but I won't fall so easily :)

sandysandy
August 22nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
just downloaded it. seems to be Ok, maybe slightly slower than firefox.

however it does not support siteadvisor

http://www.siteadvisor.com/

regards

zmjjmz
August 22nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Everyone should go to acid3.acidtests.org and see their results in Midori.

sandysandy
August 22nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Do they even have a webpage? I tried searching for a Midori Browser on Google but got no signs of an official page. Sorry but I won't fall so easily :)

see this

http://www.twotoasts.de/index.php?/pages/midori_summary.html

regards

DoubleClicker
August 22nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Has anyone else used Midori Web Browser? It's a small lightweight browser and very fast. It is alpha, so still lots to do. With the update to 0.17, it is much more stable now than before. If you want to try it out, it is available in the universe repository.

Currently midori is at 0.0.19 and a there have been many improvements since 0.0.17, for the latest builds of midori and webkit add
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/stemp/ubuntu hardy main to your sources

Sef
August 23rd, 2008, 12:57 AM
Currently midori is at 0.0.19 and a there have been many improvements since 0.0.17, for the latest builds of midori and webkit add
Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/stemp/ubuntu hardy main

Thank you for that.

cardinals_fan
August 23rd, 2008, 01:06 AM
It was very buggy on my system. I'll stick with Kazehakase and Opera.

pt123
August 23rd, 2008, 01:50 AM
The one that came with Hardy, 0.017 didn't work with gmail so I gave it the flick.

You can't also set the number of lines scrolled my the mousewheel, this is what makes Gecko browsers kick Webkit ones in Gnome.

zmjjmz
August 23rd, 2008, 02:56 AM
Guys, it's like pre-alpha release, so don't bash it for stability.

voltaire99
August 26th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I wat to use it as a secondary browser for a change of scenary with a little extra speed, but it crashes on sites with heavy flash use. For example, try going to youtube.

binbash
August 26th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Guys, it's like pre-alpha release, so don't bash it for stability.

Then why should someone install it if something always crashes?

zmjjmz
August 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Then why should someone install it if something always crashes?

To debug it.

AptlyNamed
September 9th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Upgrading Glib 2.16 from the Hardy repos to version 2.18 from the Intrepid repo fixes the crashing. See http://wiki.xfce.org/midori_faq

I's a quite basic browser but it has some nice features, such as keyword searches using the urlbar, custom scripts and stylesheets, Webkit rendering engine, and it's lightweight. The Xorg memory ballooning (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/186354) Firefox causes, and the frequent crashing of Firefox made me look for alternatives and I like Midori, even though I miss some of the extensions and tricks that I got used to.

You can export firefox bookmarks to xbel format which Midori uses with the syncplaces (http://www.andyhalford.com/syncplaces/download.html) Firefox extension.

Still this is indeed 'alpha' software, so it means it has missing features and rough edges. But it's starting to get usable.

ben2talk
November 23rd, 2008, 04:09 PM
Its also the name of a manga: "Midori Days". Anyway, I tried it, and all I say is that it runs about the same as firefox, but is alot better than opera.

I'm amazed. On my system, I find that opera fairly flies and renders beautifully, as does firefox - though firefox has a lead with it's extras and sheer power.

Midori is very light, and thus would feel very fast - if it did not disappear in a puff of smoke whenever I load a second tab. Also I find the rendering of the webkit browser lags far behind that of firefox and opera.

Epiphany is a worthy smaller brother to these two magnificent browsers, but Midori being in it's 0.0.21 early stages still requires a lot of work.

It looks extremely promising, but is yet to prove stable on my gnome setup.

chucky chuckaluck
November 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
Everyone should go to acid3.acidtests.org and see their results in Midori.

now, if only it could remember my bookmarks...

billgoldberg
November 23rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
I tried it on my Asus Eeepc last week.

It's still unstable and I could not get flash to work.

It was pretty fast, but not usable yet.

I use Epiphany as light weigth browser, with adblock :) .

the yawner
November 23rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
You guys gave me an idea to try out the available webkit browsers instead of waiting out on how Google Chrome might appear on GNU/Linux. I got Midori and Epiphany from this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~webkit-team/+archive and I'm trying both browsers now. So... I'm checking out how to enable flash support on both.

Edit:
Ok, both browsers crashed whenever I tried to play a youtube video. I'm using 8.04 and I've recently upgraded my flash plugin to version 10 from Adobe's website. I thought of reverting back to version 9 and so far flash worked on both browsers.

I'm liking Midori more so far over Epiphany. (I found it annoying that I had to install extensions for Epiphany to be able to open links in a new tab.)

Stemp
November 24th, 2008, 05:00 PM
@the yawner : I'm currently uploading midori 0.1.0 and webkit r38688 into the webkit-team ppa for Hardy. Flash should not crash anymore ;)
I only test it in Intrepid, so any feedbacks will be nice.

the yawner
November 24th, 2008, 07:23 PM
@the yawner : I'm currently uploading midori 0.1.0 and webkit r38688 into the webkit-team ppa for Hardy. Flash should not crash anymore ;)
I only test it in Intrepid, so any feedbacks will be nice.

I read your post just now and I'm now upgrading my installation. Will post some feedback probably later as it's already way past midnight in my side of the world, and I better catch some sleep.

Thanks much by the way. :)

Stemp
December 1st, 2008, 01:14 AM
midori 0.1.1 is out \o/ (and Webkit 38850)

Mr. Picklesworth
December 1st, 2008, 02:20 AM
The Flash plugin killed Epiphany again (this time the Flash 10 64bit beta), so I eradicated Flash completely. Everything is way nicer now, for me. Now I can complain whenever clueless web developers build Flash-only content, and I can be way more productive in the absense of that awful proprietary thing. It's just like the good old days!

I also have a growing temptation to switch to Konqueror, although Epiphany's newly improved address bar autocomplete is holding me back for now. Midori is a decent alternative...

mirko_3
January 7th, 2009, 09:11 AM
But is it only me for whom both epiphany-webkit and midori won't open links in new tabs?
That means that clicking on a google result won't work, as it should open a new tab...

Mr. Picklesworth
January 7th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Epiphany-webkit presently has broken tab handling, and does not do cookies correctly. It's a known bug ;)
The Gecko version does tabs just fine, and the webkit version will probably not be considered stable until it does.

In the mean time, Do Not open tabs in the epiphany-webkit because there is a good chance the browser will then crash somehow.

Stemp
January 8th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I don't know about epiphany-webkit (thanks to Mr. Picklesworth for the info) but no problems with midori.

mirko_3
January 8th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Uhm weird: in midori, if I right-click and select open in new tab, it opens fine. However if I click on a link that automatically would open up in a new tab/window, nothing at all happens. So to open up Google search results, I have to manually right-click and select open in new tab.
Btw, I come from Opera, so I never new that Google results open up in new windows... annoying. They should open in new tabs!
So if no one else is seeing this do i report a bug? I'm using the webkit repo..

jrusso2
January 8th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I think it might turn out to be a decent web browser but its too early to tell. Google Chrome might takes its place as the lightweight browser when the Linux version comes out.

Stemp
January 8th, 2009, 04:46 PM
@mirko_3 : What version of midori and webkit are you using ?

mirko_3
January 9th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Midori: 0.1.1-1ubuntu1~intrepidppa3
Webkit: 1.0.1-4+r39572~intrepidppa1

I have this repo in my sources.list: http://ppa.launchpad.net/webkit-team/ubuntu intrepid main

I've always had this crashed and just assumed everyone had it...

SomeGuyDude
January 9th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Its also the name of a manga: "Midori Days".

Also, a drink. And a character in Guitar Hero. :D

As for the browser, lightweight doesn't trump functionality in this case for me. Without my army of extensions my productivity plummets.

Stemp
January 10th, 2009, 05:19 PM
@mirko_3 : Do you have the same problem with GtkLauncher ?

/usr/lib/webkit-1.0/libexec/GtkLauncher

ghindo
January 11th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I installed Midori from the repos on Ubuntu 8.10, opened it up, and navigated to Gmail. Darn thing immediately crashed.

I think it'll be a while before I consider using it with any regularity.

Stemp
January 11th, 2009, 12:38 AM
You installed midori and webkit from the webkit-team PPA or from the official repos ?

ghindo
January 11th, 2009, 01:35 AM
You installed midori and webkit from the webkit-team PPA or from the official repos ?From the Ubuntu repos.

Stemp
January 11th, 2009, 01:43 AM
From the Ubuntu repos.

Ok they are very outdated.
Midori and Webkit are under heavy development.

mirko_3
January 11th, 2009, 02:27 AM
@mirko_3 : Do you have the same problem with GtkLauncher ?

/usr/lib/webkit-1.0/libexec/GtkLauncher

Yeah, exactly the same problem.

andras artois
January 11th, 2009, 03:15 AM
It's fasttttt. I only had a quick go with it but it loaded very fast and loaded web pages faster than firefox. The preferences could do with being more straight forward and customizable but then again it is a lightweight browser.

Youtube worked perfectly with it. Very fast and loaded up straight away.

I didn't test it with multiple tabs or multiple flash.

Seems like a very promising browser. Would like to see some ad-blocking integrated with it or customizable scripts to allow it.

I was using the latest version in the hardy repositories? And the whatever webkit it decided to install with it.

Stemp
January 11th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah, exactly the same problem.

Just tested it, and you're right. Webkit doesn't handle it.
In fact i'm always using the middle-button click, so I never notice this bug.

I was using the latest version in the hardy repositories? And the whatever webkit it decided to install with it.

There is hardy versions of midori and webkit in the webkit-team ppa if you want to test newer versions.

And for the «adblock » feature you could use a customize css :

midori FAQ (http://wiki.xfce.org/midori_faq#user_styles)
Ad Blocking user styles (http://userstyles.org/styles/299)

Praxicoide
January 30th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Very fast browser. I only have 128MB or RAM, so this is a great alternative. Flash works fine, though it crashed on youtube on the second or third video played.

A question: is there a way for it to use Java?

Rokurosv
January 30th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I really like Midori, it's very fast. And it very lightweight, perfect when you wanna do a quick browse on the web

bruce89
January 30th, 2009, 10:03 AM
A question: is there a way for it to use Java?

Any of the normal (Mozilla) browser plugins should work the same.

spikey_nick
February 10th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Has anybody else had an issue where midori doesn't render six digit hex colors. It can render named colors, and the three digit hex.

eragon100
February 10th, 2009, 07:20 AM
It crashes far too often for me. It chrashed when I tried to log in here, second try that worked. Then I want to youtube, got a question about language, tried to answer it, chrash. Second try, chrash. Then I ignored the question and played a video, worked fine. Then I tried to play a second video, worked fine. Third video, chrash.

Right now it sucks, but I do think it shows a lot of promise, it's nice to use because it is so fast. They really need to work on stability, tough :(

cb951303
February 10th, 2009, 08:12 AM
there are very good browser projects out there and midori is one of them.

I think the most important reason why people still sticks with firefox (which is a resource hog) is the addons. For example I want to use epiphany (or midori when its stable) but I can't ditch downthemall or foxyproxy :(

Stemp
February 10th, 2009, 01:57 PM
It crashes far too often for me. It chrashed when I tried to log in here, second try that worked. Then I want to youtube, got a question about language, tried to answer it, chrash. Second try, chrash. Then I ignored the question and played a video, worked fine. Then I tried to play a second video, worked fine. Third video, chrash.

Right now it sucks, but I do think it shows a lot of promise, it's nice to use because it is so fast. They really need to work on stability, tough :(

What version are you using ?
The webkit-team PPA ?
Because as you can see, I can log in UF without problem.

Stemp
February 10th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Has anybody else had an issue where midori doesn't render six digit hex colors. It can render named colors, and the three digit hex.

Do you have an example ?

smartboyathome
February 10th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I use the Arch version, but it doesn't work well with EyeOS, and even though I use the latest version of soup, cookies still don't work. Plus, I can't live without gmail notifier in Firefox. ;)

Markuz Nightwind
February 26th, 2009, 07:56 PM
What version are you using ?
The webkit-team PPA ?
Because as you can see, I can log in UF without problem.
I'm experiencing random crashes too with midori (using latest version from webkit-team ppa), reopening the page usually fixes the problem. I had also many rendering problems (on various phpbb3 forums) so i guess it's something related more to the webkit svn.

P.S. Btw just noticed new midori version is out, gonna try it soon :)

Stemp
February 26th, 2009, 09:20 PM
P.S. Btw just noticed new midori version is out, gonna try it soon :)

The new version 0.1.3 is in my personal PPA. As there is a compilation problem with it (it need git-core to compile), I didn't put it in the webkit-team PPA and anyway the dev is going to release a good version in a few days.

Markuz Nightwind
February 26th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Using your repository version since an hour and I can say it seems much smoother than the last 0.1.2 :O Didn't have any crash or rendering problem until now, just to let you know :)

Btw thanks for the fast answer and the packaging work ;)

Edit: Got the first crash right now lol. Well it's still an improvement over the old one that was crashing for me every 5 mins :P

Naiki Muliaina
February 27th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Been using it on and off as my secound browser for a long time, i love it ^^

DeadRobot
February 27th, 2009, 01:17 AM
It crashes all the time for me. :(

I'm trying to find an alternative to Firefox because Firefox is being all buggy.

I've settled on Opera. :)

Praxicoide
March 1st, 2009, 06:16 AM
I'm using 0.1.3 from your repository and it works great, but it consistently crashes with Youtube videos, even if they are only embedded on a page. It displays the video OK, but trying to leave the page with the video (by clicking on another video, hitting home or back, or even writing another url) crashes the browser. Stragely, it works OK with Veoh.

Other than that, zero complaints.

Stemp
March 1st, 2009, 10:57 AM
@Praxicoide : In fact it's not midori, it's WebKit fault. That's why I'm not pushing new versions into the webkit-team PPA and keep them into my own PPA.

Mark76
March 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM
Have any of you seen this?

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2008-August/006489.html

binbash
March 1st, 2009, 03:35 PM
This crashes all the time, especially at pages which contain flash

ynnhoj
March 1st, 2009, 03:54 PM
Have any of you seen this?

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2008-August/006489.html
hadn't noticed, but according to the date on the mailing list it's old news :o interesting, anyhow!

Praxicoide
March 2nd, 2009, 06:53 AM
Yeah. I'm using Xubuntu, and that's what drew me to this browser in the first place when looking for a lighter alternative to Firefox (which this old computer can barely handle). I have to say that I love it. It's bound to become my favorite once this problem is sorted out.

Shame about the flash, though. I built WebKit from the nightly and the problem persists. Guess I'll stick to gecko for now...

Orlsend
March 2nd, 2009, 07:13 AM
Finally an upgrade for Midori! I really like Midori, but is so unstable. I hope 0.0.19 fixes the problems I had.

adamlau
March 2nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Nice, but Arora feels more polished.

Stemp
March 18th, 2009, 12:14 PM
New version of WebkitGtk+ (1.1.3) and Midori (0.1.4+git) have landed in Webkit-team PPA.

Stemp
March 29th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Midori has now his own PPA :
https://launchpad.net/~midori/+archive/ppa

The new 0.1.5 version is there.

Liferea with Webkit Backend has also his own PPA :
https://launchpad.net/~liferea/+archive/ppa

Version 1.5.14

These PPA need the Webkit-team PPA for Webkit and Libraries.

Have fun.

bigbrovar
March 29th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I have tried Midori in the past although i love its speed and simplicity. it was very unstable and crashed must of the time. i wish the stability problem was fixed as it would be the perfect browser for my compaq mini netbook

Stemp
March 29th, 2009, 12:12 PM
@bigbrovar : You should really give it a try now, version 0.1.5 with Webkit 1.1.3 is quite stable, of course it's still at an alpha/beta stage but it's really usable.
That's what i'm using on my Aspire One ;)

bigbrovar
March 29th, 2009, 12:14 PM
@bigbrovar : You should really give it a try now, version 0.1.5 with Webkit 1.1.3 is quite stable, of course it's still at an alpha/beta stage but it's really usable.
That's what i'm using on my Aspire One ;)
Great I would give it another try. Thanks

Mr. Picklesworth
March 29th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Midori has now his own PPA :
https://launchpad.net/~midori/+archive/ppa

The new 0.1.5 version is there.

Liferea with Webkit Backend has also his own PPA :
https://launchpad.net/~liferea/+archive/ppa

Version 1.5.14

These PPA need the Webkit-team PPA for Webkit and Libraries.

Have fun.

Wow, thanks for the link to Liferea's PPA. I didn't realize they were working on that :)

INCREDIBLE improvement from the gecko versions. It's gone from being the heaviest feed reader (yet used grudgingly because it's the most functional) to the lightest and smoothest of the lot!

It even works with notify-osd now. (No actions for notification popups unless there should be).

Stemp
March 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Wow, thanks for the link to Liferea's PPA. I didn't realize they were working on that :)

INCREDIBLE improvement from the gecko versions. It's gone from being the heaviest feed reader (yet used grudgingly because it's the most functional) to the lightest and smoothest of the lot!

It even works with notify-osd now. (No actions for notification popups unless there should be).

I just uploaded the new 1.5.15 version for Jaunty, could you test it ?

binbash
March 29th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I am gonna do a test drive on jaunty soon.Last time i used midori there have been a lot of flash crashes.I hope they are fixed because i want to replace firefox

binbash
March 29th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Very fast, no crashes at flash sites and some games i have tried BUT there are 2 issues :

I am using this deb :

Get:3 http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty/main midori 0.1.5-0+git20090328~jjwkt3 [462kB]

And it does not remember the history + it does not cache the swfs (videos games etc) and there is no icon (not menu entry, icon) at midori at gnome

Stemp
March 29th, 2009, 09:12 PM
No history and no icons ?
You are using both webkit-team and midori PPA ?

I tried it on my Aspire One and it was working just fine.

I have to say I don't understand what is happening to you.

binbash
March 29th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Yes i do.But i didn't do a reboot yet.I will report after reboot

tr4nce
March 30th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Stemp great job! Thanks for compiling and uploading this new toys for all the "we want something lighter to browse our web related contents".

But, I am having this issue with latest Webkit from PPAs:

Whenever I try to open a url with a webkit back-end browser (epiphany-webkit 2.27.0 or latest Midori) I have a 10 - 15 seconds delay until it starts to load. Is there any possibility that this is a bug of the current webkit build or it's an option that can (or has) to be disabled and I haven't checked yet?

The funny thing is that when the browser end up displaying the url that you requested, the following urls related to it (for example if you do a search in google) works like a charm, with no delays no nothing. The first time that happened I thought that it was "the" ipv6 problem again, but no, firefox seems to work ok and IPV6 got into kernel with the last Jaunty update and I haven't got problems with it.

Strange isn't?

Stemp
March 30th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Whenever I try to open a url with a webkit back-end browser (epiphany-webkit 2.27.0 or latest Midori) I have a 10 - 15 seconds delay until it starts to load. Is there any possibility that this is a bug of the current webkit build or it's an option that can (or has) to be disabled and I haven't checked yet?

The funny thing is that when the browser end up displaying the url that you requested, the following urls related to it (for example if you do a search in google) works like a charm, with no delays no nothing. The first time that happened I thought that it was "the" ipv6 problem again, but no, firefox seems to work ok and IPV6 got into kernel with the last Jaunty update and I haven't got problems with it.

Strange isn't?

DO you mean the last 1.3.3-3 from the PPA or just in all the 1.3.3 build ?
Because the last modifications in the PPA are about dropping the dbg files (they were very big and the PPA was sometime full).

I'm using midori on a Aspire One with Jaunty and it fly, so I'm really surprised (but I'm not using IPV6).

Stemp great job! Thanks for compiling and uploading this new toys for all the "we want something lighter to browse our web related contents".

And don't forget the real WebKit packagers from Debian, Mike Hommey and Gustavo Noronha Silva. They did an impressive job.

rizzeh
March 30th, 2009, 09:31 AM
i found Midori to be very fast, but too much hard work. i'm keeping eye on its development though, hopefully bugs will get fixed without slowing it down :)

Exershio
March 30th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I can't wait until Midori is a bit more stable. It is definitely the fastest graphical browser I've used and it uses webkit and gtk, which is perfect for my minimal desktop.

However, it crashes a lot on large websites for me, so I'll stick to firefox until it becomes more mature.

I'm keeping an eye on its progress ;)

pjalegria
March 30th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I cant install Midori PPA version, dependacy error

Stemp
March 30th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I cant install Midori PPA version, dependacy error

You need to add the Webkit-team PPA (https://launchpad.net/~webkit-team/+archive/ppa)

For Intrepid, add this line to your sources.list :

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webkit-team/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main

pjalegria
March 30th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Im have Jaunty...

Midori 0.1.2.1 with Webkit-team PPA, thats not the lasted version

Stemp
March 30th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Im have Jaunty...

Midori 0.1.2.1 with Webkit-team PPA, thats not the lasted version

You need both PPA.

Webkit-team PPA for WebkitGtk and midori PPA for midori.

On Jaunty you will have Webkit 1.1.3 and Midori 0.1.5 + git from today ;)

bigbrovar
March 30th, 2009, 01:26 PM

i might be installing it on my compaq mini with the mie interface .. does any one knows if this ppa has packages for lpia

Stemp
March 30th, 2009, 01:28 PM
i might be installing it on my compaq mini with the mie interface .. does any one knows if this ppa has packages for lpia

Yes, both Webkit and Liferea PPA have LPIA versions.

pjalegria
March 30th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks, now its working... what about Midori icon? i dont have it...

Stemp
March 30th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks, now its working... what about Midori icon? i dont have it...

midori package recommend gnome-icon-theme, do you have it ?

If it's not the problem, maybe I made a mistake in the package.
You'll probably have to launch this command :

sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -q -f -t /usr/share/icons/hicolor

lvlo
March 30th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hi there.

Is there way to change speed of scrolling? To do this in Firefox I'm using "mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.numlines" key in about:config.... is there something like that in Midori?

Anyway Midori 0.1.5 looks very good for me :)

Stemp
March 30th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Is there way to change speed of scrolling? .... is there something like that in Midori?

I don't think so.
There is a zoom step in ~/.config/midori/config but nothing about scroll wheel.

Stemp
March 31st, 2009, 09:10 AM
Webkit 1.1.4 is out, you can check the HTML5 media capabilities on :
http://www.double.co.nz/video_test/

ghindo
March 31st, 2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks for keeping us up-to-date, Stemp - I appreciate it! :)

Edit: I just realize that I have the Webkit team PPA enabled, but I think I'm still on WebKit 1.0. How do I check what version of WebKit I have installed?

Stemp
March 31st, 2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for keeping us up-to-date, Stemp - I appreciate it! :)

Edit: I just realize that I have the Webkit team PPA enabled, but I think I'm still on WebKit 1.0. How do I check what version of WebKit I have installed?

install package libwebkit-1.0-2 ;)

ghindo
March 31st, 2009, 06:28 PM
Got it, thank you! :)

Praxicoide
April 3rd, 2009, 06:49 AM
Hi again,

So I wanted to try this again, since apparently the flash problem has been fixed. I removed and purged the midori and webkit I had, since they were builds, included this new PPA (I already had the webkit one), and installed them again.They installed fine (Midori 0.1.5-0 and libwebkit 1.0-2). Unfortunately I can't start Midori because it complains about needing libwebkit 1.0.so.1, which isn't there anymore. I tried purging it again and reinstalling to no avail. Is there a way to fix this?

EDIT: I fixed it, it seems there was another Midori executable under /usr/local/bin, which I had to delete). The flash problem is indeed solved. I'll be using Midori from now on, since my machine is pretty old. Thank you very much! I'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT2: OK, after a day of use I can safely say that it is pretty stable and it doesn't run, it flies. Good job and congratulations, in a short while the browser went from being usuable basically for testing purposes to being a viable and strong option for default browsing.

EDIT3: Yet another day of use and no problems whatsoever. I wanted to congratulate the developers for the wonderful download dialog. The Download Statusbar is actually one of the first things I get for Firefox whenever I install it. There needs to be a way to delete the stuff from the bar without actually opening it, though.

lvlo
April 18th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I added feature request for "scrolling speed" option in Midori. If you need it too, please confirm...

http://www.twotoasts.de/bugs/index.php?do=details&task_id=347

sertse
April 26th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Bumping this thread because I just discovered midori and I love it. I don't really notice the speed (FF is quick enough for me I suppose..), but it feels snappier. Most importantly it has full functionality - plugins, flash etc all work.

Could use with an autoscroll option, perfect for the laptop and touchpad scrolling, not so much for the desktop and mousewheel.

Praxicoide
April 27th, 2009, 06:50 AM
The Midori in the Jaunty repos is 0.12, which crashes all the time. In order to enjoy the very stable 0.16 under jaunty you have to add the webkit and midori ppas in the sources list.

Add the following to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

# WebKit
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webkit-team/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webkit-team/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

#Midori
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/midori/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/midori/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

Then type the following commands into a terminal:

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 2D9A3C5B && gpg --export -a 2D9A3C5B | sudo apt-key add -
gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv A69241F1 && gpg --export -a A69241F1 | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install --reinstall midori

And you're done.

VCoolio
April 27th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks, I was looking for adding repos for a newer midori on Jaunty. But the sudo apt-get dist-upgrade is a really bad idea don't you think? When Karmic gets alpha-released your system would switch to that, wouldn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong, otherwise delete that line from your post.

Praxicoide
April 27th, 2009, 02:41 PM
It wouldn't unless you change your repos. What could happen, though, is that other packages being held back could be installed. I'll change that line.

chucky chuckaluck
April 27th, 2009, 05:09 PM
does it make any sense that midori would run faster without hal running?

Sef
May 23rd, 2009, 04:44 AM
Praxicoide > Thanks for the PPAs and how to update. I would be intersted in seeing if this version is more stable as has been indicated.

Also I have a question:

EDIT: I fixed it, it seems there was another Midori executable under /usr/local/bin, which I had to delete). The flash problem is indeed solved. I'll be using Midori from now on, since my machine is pretty old. Thank you very much! I'll let you know how it goes.

How exactly did you fix the problem? Could you please explain step by step. thank you.

Stemp
May 23rd, 2009, 10:16 AM
How exactly did you fix the problem? Could you please explain step by step. thank you.

With midori from the PPA there should be no problems with netscape plugins like flash (but java is not working).

So I guess you'll have to remove all prior versions and purge them.
Purge also the current version and remove ~/.config/midori/

Then reinstall the new version from PPA (also with webkit-team PPA libwebkit-1.0-2)

If flash is working with firefox it should work with midori.

Mark76
May 28th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Most browsers enable you to skip back or forth more than one page at a time. But I can't find this option in Midori.

Will it be included soon?

ghindo
May 28th, 2009, 11:35 PM
By the way, there's a new Midori release out today:

http://www.twotoasts.de/index.php?/archives/18-Activation,-detaching-and-feed-panel.html

Stemp
May 28th, 2009, 11:53 PM
By the way, there's a new Midori release out today:

And already in the Midori PPA :popcorn:

Most browsers enable you to skip back or forth more than one page at a time. But I can't find this option in Midori.

Will it be included soon?

You should fill a Bug/Whishlist in Midori bugtracker (http://www.twotoasts.de/bugs/) ;)

Mark76
May 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I seem to be having problems getting Sylpheed to open links in new tabs in Midori instead of a new window.

Stemp
May 29th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I seem to be having problems getting Sylpheed to open links in new tabs in Midori instead of a new window.

From the Changelog of version 0.1.7 :
+ Implement Open new pages in: New window preference

Waybe this is the reason ? Before, this option was useless.

Mark76
May 30th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Why does Midori keep rendering the fonts in BBC web pages like this?

And why can't I open the goddamned preferences?

ghindo
May 30th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Why does Midori keep rendering the fonts in BBC web pages like this?Looks fine to me.

Mark76
May 30th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I managed to (finally) open Preferences and the fonts are as default.

So wtf is going on?

sertse
May 30th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Why does Midori keep rendering the fonts in BBC web pages like this?

And why can't I open the goddamned preferences?

I've seen it before, with all browsers. Sure it isn't a X thing?

Midori has been all fine for me so far, no issues.

ghindo
May 30th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I managed to (finally) open Preferences and the fonts are as default.

So wtf is going on?I dunno. Maybe it's your system fonts?

Mark76
May 30th, 2009, 12:54 AM
My system font doesn't look like that. And does Midori actually use them by default? Most browsers use their own fonts unless you specifically tell them to use system fonts

Mark76
May 30th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Just to make sure I changed the system font.

And fonts in some pages are still rendering horribly

ghindo
May 30th, 2009, 12:58 AM
My system font doesn't look like that. And does Midori actually use them by default? Most browsers use their own fonts unless you specifically tell them to use system fontsI'm not sure. From what I can tell, Midori is using my system fonts for that particular page.

Mark76
May 30th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I've seen it before, with all browsers. Sure it isn't a X thing?

Midori has been all fine for me so far, no issues.

If it is an X thing then I have no idea how to change it other than deleting Midori and using another browser.

gradinaruvasile
August 13th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Same here

Jesus_Valdez
August 13th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I can't update Midori: W: Falló al obtener http://ppa.launchpad.net/midori/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/m/midori/midori_0.1.9-1+git20090808~jjwkt1_amd64.deb
No pude resolver 'ppa.launchpad.net'

something like can't find ppa.launchpad.net and unable to get the .deb file.

I was wondering if someone else is having the same problem.

Jimleko211
August 13th, 2009, 02:44 AM
I can't update Midori: W: Falló al obtener http://ppa.launchpad.net/midori/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/m/midori/midori_0.1.9-1+git20090808~jjwkt1_amd64.deb (http://ppa.launchpad.net/midori/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/m/midori/midori_0.1.9-1+git20090808%7Ejjwkt1_amd64.deb)
No pude resolver 'ppa.launchpad.net'

something like can't find ppa.launchpad.net and unable to get the .deb file.

I was wondering if someone else is having the same problem.
Launchpad may be down, I got the same problem trying to grab Chromium.

RJARRRPCGP
August 13th, 2009, 05:07 PM
For me, Midori keeps having a segmentation fault, when at weather.com, IIRC. :evil:

MasterNetra
August 13th, 2009, 05:14 PM

I've tried it, but for me when its too simple with no support for Flash and other such things. I'll wait until its out of alpha...or even better out of beta, before I'll try it again. Perhaps it will be a good browser later on, but for now, I'm not using it.

Jesus_Valdez
August 13th, 2009, 06:18 PM
What do you mean with "no support for flash", I can surf flash based pages and sites like youtube with no problema.

RaZe42
August 13th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Umm... you must be using some old version of Midori, because the one I tried did support Flash without any problems...

EDIT: Jesus_Valdez beat me to it :P

sagara
May 5th, 2010, 05:25 AM
is it just me or midori doesnt support autocomplete for URLs?

as in google + ctrl + enter = google.com

i'm currently using version 0.2.4

RJARRRPCGP
May 8th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Update: Midori appears to be fine now. Recently, I can navigate the weather.com interface without Midori crashing.

northwestuntu
May 8th, 2010, 01:34 AM
it's nice, but i like to have more options and extensions.

The Real Dave
May 8th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I like Midori. For me, it has problems rendering some webpages correctly. It is however, quite light and quick, and I'll look forward to replacing Firefox on a certain rig with it.

Nice work :)

themarker0
May 8th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I like midori, except... NO JAVA! I mean come'on! Thats all i need. Java!

Stemp
May 8th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I like midori, except... NO JAVA! I mean come'on! Thats all i need. Java!

http://stemp.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/webkitgtk-etand-java/ ;)

CrimsonBizarre
May 8th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I think it's great, especially as it intregrates perfectly with GTK (I'm using Global Menu Bar and the lack of support from every other browser was annoying me).

It's fast, and it does most things I need to do.

Only things keeping it from being my primary browser:

Need '+tab' button in the tab bar.
Needs scaleable search bar.
Need 'smart' address bar
When opening link in new tab, it must not switch to it immediately
When opening link in new tab, it must make it the last tab, not one to the right
When re-opening deleted tabs, they should open in their original place, not as the last tab
Need option to pick and choose what panels you want,
SPELL CHECK!
Needs to be even faster
Fix bugs.

Maybe I'm just too used to Opera

EDIT: I love the feature where: if you scroll with the scroll wheel in the tab bar, it changes tabs, I don't think I've seen a browser with this in before.

sertse
May 9th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Need 'smart' address bar
When opening link in new tab, it must not switch to it immediately
When opening link in new tab, it must make it the last tab, not one to the right
Need option to pick and choose what panels you want,
SPELL CHECK!
EDIT: I love the feature where: if you scroll with the scroll wheel in the tab bar, it changes tabs, I don't think I've seen a browser with this in before.

Smart address bar: I don't know what you mean, but it has improved a bit these days ala firefox "awesome bar" style..
Must not switch to it immediately: Preferences -> Interface -> Check Open tabs in background
Make it open in last tab: Preferences -> Interface -> Uncheck Open tabs next to current
Pick and choose what panels you want: Right check the main panel: You can check/uncheck certain panels. To customise what buttons etc are on the navigation bar. Enable the toolbar editor extension.
Spellcheck: Webkit problem, not Midori. It is fixed if you are using the latest versions of Webkit. If so, Preferences -> Behaviour ->Enable Spell Checking -> Type your language code
Scroll wheel changes tab: It works here.

I've been a heavy advocate of Midori since the days when it was reallly beta. It's come a long way. I actually use it as my main now, firefox installed mainly as a backup..

CrimsonBizarre
May 9th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Smart address bar: I don't know what you mean, but it has improved a bit these days ala firefox "awesome bar" style..
Must not switch to it immediately: Preferences -> Interface -> Check Open tabs in background
Make it open in last tab: Preferences -> Interface -> Uncheck Open tabs next to current
Pick and choose what panels you want: Right check the main panel: You can check/uncheck certain panels. To customise what buttons etc are on the navigation bar. Enable the toolbar editor extension.
Spellcheck: Webkit problem, not Midori. It is fixed if you are using the latest versions of Webkit. If so, Preferences -> Behaviour ->Enable Spell Checking -> Type your language code
Scroll wheel changes tab: It works here.

I've been a heavy advocate of Midori since the days when it was reallly beta. It's come a long way. I actually use it as my main now, firefox installed mainly as a backup..

Thanks! All worked apart from the panels thing. Toolbars are not the same as panels. The panels that are there are: