PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen is dark and hard to read using Ubuntu Hardy Heron on Dell Inspiron 1300

tetristic
August 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Hi-

I'm a newcomer to Linux, so please excuse any obvious idiocies on my part.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop, which according to a google search uses a WXGA display. I've just installed Ubuntu Hardy after trying a few other distributions and failing to get them to work.

The problem I'm having is this: under windows, the laptop used a power-saving technique whereby when it was running on battery the screen would be darkened slightly to reduce power consumption - when the power cable was plugged back in the screen would brighten up again.

After I installed Ubuntu the screen started switching seemingly at random between the two states. For a while it got lighter when the power cable was removed - the reverse of what it's supposed to do - but now it seems to have settled on a darkened display whether the power cable is in or not.

I've had a look through the forum but can't find any topics which cover it, and I've got absolutely no idea where to start! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Russell

timcredible
August 22nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
not sure, but try system->administration->power management and see if any settings in there can fix the problem, maybe turn off power management.

tetristic
August 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
No luck I'm afraid, I tried playing around with the option to 'reduce backlight when idle' but to no effect at all. I can't see a way to completely disable power management though.

meijer.o
August 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
Dear user,

try adding the module video to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

command: sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

add to the file:

blacklist video

Make sure that you have a empty line at the bottum of the file "blacklist"

restart your computer.

I hope for you that it works,

Kind regard,

A linux user