PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] My subtitles refuse to work on anything but VLC?

HangukMiguk
August 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
I am currently trying to convert all my films to formats viewable on my Xbox 360. One such task includes hardcoding subtitles on foreign films into the video, as the 360 can't handle subtitle files.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work, as my subtitle files (both .sub and .srt formats) seem to fail to work using mencoder.

I tried opening them using gnome subtitles to convert them into a different format, hoping that would work (even synaptic said they would work in this program), and it says, "Could not open the file xxxxxxxxxxx.sub/.srt: The specified file is invalid."

In fact, the only program that seems to let me open them is VLC, as playing videos with subtitles in VLC work perfectly fine. But trying to open them with mencoder, or a program that is specifically meant to open/edit subtitle files does not work.

Any ideas? Any more info needed?

HangukMiguk
August 22nd, 2008, 01:31 PM
And, just now, tried using AVIdemux, and it gives me an error with the same subtitles saying "Cannot indentify subtitle format."

So 1) Why are my subtitle files not a valid format in every program EXCEPT VLC? and 2) What can I do to fix it?

HangukMiguk
August 22nd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Bump

HangukMiguk
August 22nd, 2008, 09:55 PM
Bump

HangukMiguk
August 23rd, 2008, 06:43 AM
Bump

shirilover
August 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
In avidemux, when you added the subtitles, did you select the correct encoding for them?
There is a drop-down list encoding when adding srt/sub subtitle files.

HangukMiguk
August 23rd, 2008, 11:29 AM
It's inconsequential what encoding I pick; regardless of which one I pick, it gives me the same error.

kane77
August 23rd, 2008, 01:55 PM
how big is the subtitle file? I would bet that the .sub you have is not a text file (eg it's size is about 5-10MB).. If so, I have been trying to do something with these files, but couldn't figure it out either, so best thing you can do is to try to find subtitles for the movie (for example on opensubtitles.org) and download them in .srt file..