PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop Sound Issues

midnight0000
August 22nd, 2008, 03:27 AM
I recently inherited an older laptop from my sister that was running XP, but i took that off and put Ubuntu on and now i dont have any sound at all. sound was working just fine before the install, ive tried checking to make sure nothing was muted, ive also tried reinstalling - no change in the problem

its an older gateway laptop, nothing special about it.

i dont have this issue on my other 2 machines that are running ubuntu, just this laptop. any help? im hoping it's just a driver thing that someone might be able to point me to

Psychoscorpic
August 22nd, 2008, 07:03 AM
Hi Midnight

It's a common glitch.

Do this:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

Add the line:

options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo

(my notebook is a Sahara, but "lenovo" does the trick! If it doesn't do ti for you, use "auto" instead (without quotes))

midnight0000
August 23rd, 2008, 06:27 AM
Hi Midnight

It's a common glitch.

Do this:

Add the line:

options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo

(my notebook is a Sahara, but "lenovo" does the trick! If it doesn't do ti for you, use "auto" instead (without quotes))
hey, for some reason, neither "auto" or "lenovo" worked. any other leads on how to fix this? why it doesnt get fixed in a reinstall just confuses me

Nepherte
August 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
First you must find which model of sound card you use, so run this command:
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec

It will return the model of your sound card, for example: "Codec: Realtek ALC260". Search for your model here (http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt), and take a look at its types. Read all of them listed under your model and try to find the one which is more similar to your sound card. Now open up alsa-base:

Then edit the line at the end of the file to resemble to:

options snd-hda-intel model=MODEL
Save the file and reboot.

midnight0000
August 24th, 2008, 02:51 AM
ok, this might be a total noob mistake, but when i type in:

i get "no such file or directory". i did look at that list and look for different models of snd-hda-intel and tried a few, but so far no success

midnight0000
August 26th, 2008, 06:08 PM
bumping - really need sound on this. i know it probably has to do with changing the file and adding the option for the soundcard, but the code to show the soundcard isnt working for me
anything?

eggdeng
August 26th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Post the output of

aplay -l
The laptop is a Gateway - which model?

cmoran
August 26th, 2008, 08:16 PM
hey I'm having the exact same problem(s)... again on an older gateway 3520GZ

eggdeng, I get:

chad@chad-laptop:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel 82801DB-ICH4]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - IEC958]

Any help is greatly appreciated!

midnight0000
August 26th, 2008, 09:13 PM
my hateway *ahem* gateway, is model w322

when i type the code you provided, it worked and gave me this:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ICH6 [Intel ICH6], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH6]
card 0: ICH6 [Intel ICH6], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH6 - IEC958]

eggdeng
August 26th, 2008, 09:34 PM
You can check whether your drivers are working by opening a music file in Totem-xine or Audacity. If you can see the waveform, sound is working but not getting routed to the speakers, the usual Intel HDA problem.
Very few people seem to have got sound working on Gateways. The only fix I have seen to work in one or two cases is, as above

but adding

options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1
You must reboot for changes to take effect. You may get lucky. If not, maybe a set of usb speakers?

Erewhonman
August 30th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Nepherte, after finding out the precise model of my sound card on my Acer Aspire laptop, I input that as you suggested but that did not work. Then I simply put in 'Acer' and that worked. Perhaps the sound card model works on some but on others it is the manufacturer name.

Psychoscorpic
September 2nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Right - did this, and found my chipset, but not my manufacturer (Sahara). Then tried all the options (3stack, lenovo, etc) and finally "hp" was the one that did it for me!
:guitar: Now have sound both through speakers and headphones, with headphone jack switching automatically when the plug is inserted!

It will return the model of your sound card, for example: "Codec: Realtek ALC260". Search for your model here (http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt), and take a look at its types. Read all of them listed under your model and try to find the one which is more similar to your sound card. Now open up alsa-base:

Morgoroth
September 29th, 2008, 01:17 AM

i have an acer 5920 and non of this is working- im still not getting any sound from the laptop speakers:(