PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Easiest way to install .tar.bz2 files.

colobix
August 22nd, 2008, 02:30 AM
Hey you guys.
Untill now I have used nautilus to install .tar.bz2 package files, but that's a hell of a pain because u have to sort the files in the right directories which takes forever. Isn't there any easier way to install them? Maybe with a command in terminal or a program that audomaticly installs them?

Plz answer.
Thank you.

jerome1232
August 22nd, 2008, 02:35 AM
I'm confused are you talking about just extracting bziped tar archives?

Or building a program from source (which can't be done from nautilus...)

If your talking about just extracting them from a terminal

tar xjf [archive-to-be-extracted]

or if you want it to go somewhere specific

tar xjf [archive-to-be-extracted] -C [target directory]

for more information on using tar

man tar

edit: made the examples more generic

colobix
August 22nd, 2008, 02:45 AM
Thanks but i mean to install the files.
When I have downloaded a program from the web or something.
How can I do it as easy as possible?

jerome1232
August 22nd, 2008, 02:49 AM
If they are pre-built binaries all you have to-do is extract them somewhere, if they are source files then you have to build them after you extract them.

being a tar.bz2 doesn't tell me which one that is, it could be either.

aysiu
August 22nd, 2008, 02:51 AM
What's the program?

DavidTangye
August 22nd, 2008, 02:57 AM
Thanks but i mean to install the files.
When I have downloaded a program from the web or something.
How can I do it as easy as possible?Tar files are simply compressed (normally) sets of 'real' files, originally so they could be streamed to tapes for backup (tar = Tape ARchive).

If you are getting files and installing them you need to be very careful, as you are not installing proper packages, so version dependencies are not being checked at all. Further down the track you will be back here reporting that something is broken/will not work/works oddly or upgrades fail.

There are no set rules and few conventions for what to do with any software bundled into tars. It depends entirely on what the bundler decides. Hopefully he has either

provided instructions where you got the tar from, and/or
included a README or similar file in the tar. Unpack it from the tar and read it carefully.

To repeat: tar are inherently dangerous. The package manager ie Synaptic is safe.

colobix
August 22nd, 2008, 02:57 AM
It's a metacity theme from http://www.gnome-look.org
Sometimes (like now) I dont know where to extract them, so I wish there was a program out there to install archives like that automaticly where they belong.

jerome1232
August 22nd, 2008, 03:03 AM
metacity themes, you should be able just to right click your desktop, hit change background, select the themes tab, drag and drop it in.

colobix
August 22nd, 2008, 03:11 AM
OH nice. Is it the same with the screensavers too? and what about x11 mouse themes? I know that was a little off topic but ok:)

aysiu
August 22nd, 2008, 03:11 AM
metacity themes, you should be able just to right click your desktop, hit change background, select the themes tab, drag and drop it in.
Yes, and do not extract the .tar.bz2 first.

Drag and drop it in just as you downloaded it.

colobix
August 22nd, 2008, 03:24 AM
Ok thanks alot :)

davidbruington
September 8th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I'm trying to install a GTK theme, file extension *.tar.bz2, and when I try to install it as described, it says the file does not appear to be a valid theme. I've tried several different themes, and I get the same error. am I possibly missing a required program or something?

aysiu
September 8th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I'm trying to install a GTK theme, file extension *.tar.bz2, and when I try to install it as described, it says the file does not appear to be a valid theme. I've tried several different themes, and I get the same error. am I possibly missing a required program or something?
Maybe it's not packaged properly, or there's a .tar.gz compressed inside the .tar.bz2?