PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help with firefox and a media player

huntis619
August 21st, 2008, 11:05 PM
Hi all. I have a hp zv5410us laptop. I've been using ubuntu for awhile and I love it. I am however having a few problems which I hope someone can help me with. When I'M online (firefox which came with ubuntu) I move my cursor on a page across ads or whatever and the page will open. It gets kind of frustrating at times. A friend of mine said I was having these problems because the version of firefox that comes with ubuntu (I'M using 7.10 can't get my wireless card to work with 8.04) is a beta version. Is this true. Also is their another media player I can use besides totem. I'm having a lot of freezes with it. I like vlc but I can't access my media files which are on my desktop (network).Is their a way I can. Lastly can anyone please give me some info or direction... I was considering either upgrading my existing laptop or buying a new laptop. I hear though the older the hardware the better ubuntu will work. Is this true? whew I hope someone can help me, Thanks in advance.

Afkpuz
August 22nd, 2008, 07:36 AM
Firefox in 7.10 should not be acting that way. Have you downloaded all available updates? I can't help much with the firefox thing except to say maybe try to reinstall it. Use synaptic to do that.

As for media, what kind of media are you talking about? Rythmbox works well enough for music and vlc should be able to play any file on your computer. Can you describe how you are trying to open files in vlc? It should have no trouble reading files on your computer.