PDA

View Full Version : Is Discussion of LimeWire, Bittorrent, etc. illegal in the forum?

Canis familiaris
August 21st, 2008, 09:47 PM
This question came to mind when this particular thread is closed:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=896717&page=3

As it seems discussion of LimeWire, Bittorrent, etc. break the CoC.
But I thought linking illegal files through BitTorrent, LimeWire, etc and discussion of those links is only illegal and not the technologies themshelves.
As far as I know LimeWire, Bittorrent, etc. are not illegal but due to the power of these Technologies can be misused for illegal file sharing.
But BitTorrent for example could also be used for legal and very essential uses say I make music, a home Video, or a custom Linux distro or want to share music licensed through Creative Commons.
Or Am I mistaken?

I am confused and if you throw some light into the matter, it would be greatly appreciated.

KiwiNZ
August 21st, 2008, 09:52 PM
About the client no

About the file sharing referred to in that thread , EG MS software , copyrighted music etc , yes

If a post or thread contains spam (unsolicited advertising) it will be moved to the forum jail and the poster may be banned. Active users in good standing are allowed to have links to personal sites in their signatures, in their profile, and may post them in threads on occasion (just not often, please) as long as the content of those links does not include abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated material or any other material that may violate any applicable laws.
Adult Content/Violence/Illegal Activity: Messages containing sexually oriented/violent/illegal dialogue, images, content, or links to these things will be deleted. Messages with links to or suggesting illegal activity will also be deleted. Posting or linking to any of these could result in a ban

Canis familiaris
August 21st, 2008, 10:05 PM
About the client no

Thanks for clarifying!

And links to Creative Commons Music, A Linux Distro, a home-made video, etc. and their occassional discussion is OK. Is it?