PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please help me decide on a new video card...

PsychedelicWonders
August 21st, 2008, 09:01 PM
Alright, here is the video card I just got...

It flickers and messes up a couple of times a day, so it doesnt seem like its powerful enough. (mind you, there is no onboard power port)

Core Clock - 540
Memory Clock - 1400mhz
memory - 256

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121095

now here are a couple of alternatives...

These two have the following:

Core Clock - 675
memory clock - 2000
memory - 256

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121069

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130084

But this card has the following:

Core Clock - 540
Memory Clock - 1400
Memory - 512

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150260

Then this card has:

Core clock - 560
Memory Clock - Isnt labeled
Memory - 512

So what is more important? Memory? Or core clock & memory clock?

Which of those 4 cards should I pick and why>?

Sef
August 22nd, 2008, 01:05 AM
1) It is best to post what you want in the thread over having a link. (Both can be provided.)

2)
So what is more important? Memory? Or core clock & memory clock?

What do you plan on doing with the computer?

PsychedelicWonders
August 22nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
1) It is best to post what you want in the thread over having a link. (Both can be provided.)

I'm not sure what you mean?

2)

What do you plan on doing with the computer?

A little bit of everything, web surfing, watching movies maybe eventually in HD, not super hard gaming, but ill be gaming some.

I'm going to hook up 3 monitors for a workstation and then have the 4th run to a 40" lcd for display to others.

This is an HTPC.

PsychedelicWonders
August 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Bump

libra1780
August 24th, 2008, 03:44 AM
your first link doesn't work (for me), as said before, try to specify some detail in your post, don't leave all to links

if your card is an ati, it's a driver issue.. i spend some hours to get a "quite" normal result..

clock isn't everything.. the chipsets calculation speed, bandwith etc. is more important. if you compare two cards of the same type with the same chipset like two 8600gt cards, you can set your eye on clocking details
you can use the compare function at nvidia.com to compare the chipset specs..

PsychedelicWonders
August 25th, 2008, 02:38 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121095

Hopefully that will work. That is the video card I have now.

all of the other video cards are exactly the same in specs other than clock speeds, memory speeds and memory.

They are all Nvidia.

The 3rd and 4th link actually have a lower clock speed and memory speed than the 1st and 2nd links, but has more memory.

So I need to figure out if it would be more beneficial for me to get a card taht has higher clock speeds or more memory.

What aspect of those 2 specs makes a card more powerful? more clock speed or memory?

Crafty Kisses
August 25th, 2008, 10:22 PM
All I have to say is if you're getting a new card make it a NVIDIA.

PsychedelicWonders
August 29th, 2008, 06:23 AM
bump

mrtomservo
August 29th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I noticed the card you have, has a device to adjust the overclocking. Is it overclocked to the max? That can cause instability. Also, there's a chance your power supply is either sub-par or perhaps failing.

jmate24
August 29th, 2008, 07:36 AM
nvidia! but it is a closed source driver.

PsychedelicWonders
August 29th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I noticed the card you have, has a device to adjust the overclocking. Is it overclocked to the max? That can cause instability. Also, there's a chance your power supply is either sub-par or perhaps failing.

I dont have that device attached, but I do have my levels set to the highest setting because I am running my desktop like MAC OS.

So I'm sure its just now powerful enough.

So based on the 4 cards i listed in my original post, which one is going to be the best out of those 4? Which one is the most powerful out of those 4?

I have a good power supply, a Rosewill 650W 85% efficient supply that is brand new, so I'm sure I'm good on taht side of the fence.

mrtomservo
August 30th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Well, the GTS models are better than the GT models. You might want to refer to this chart, or google "nVidia comparison".

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/132

Basically they all look decent for basic games but I wouldn't expect miracles on the newest cutting edge games. Should work fine for most desktop apps and stuff. I don't feel comfortable specifically telling you which one to buy, but personally i'd go with the GTS model.

Best of luck!

PsychedelicWonders
August 30th, 2008, 07:49 PM
My original question has not been answered:

What is more imporant:

Core clock and Memory Clock

or

Overall memory? 256 vs. 512

jrusso2
August 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM
My original question has not been answered:

What is more imporant:

Core clock and Memory Clock

or

Overall memory? 256 vs. 512

I think it depends on what your doing. The memory and clock speed are more important as is the number of shaders. The GTS is more for gaming where those things are more important.

For someone who doesn't do a lot of intense gaming a GT is a fine card and cheaper.

I would say amount of memory is less important long as you have at least 256 mb should be fine. That has more to do with resolution.

PsychedelicWonders
August 30th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Well my current card is a 256 and it the screen seems to change color and mess up its resolution all the time because I have my graphics set to the highest level because I am trying to go with a MAC OS look.

I am not going to be gaming but very little compared to other things.

So since I seem to have screen resolution problems and dont plan to be a gamer,

Should I go with a card that has higher memory then?

PsychedelicWonders
September 7th, 2008, 04:44 AM
bump

PsychedelicWonders
September 16th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Which is more important:

A card with more memory

Or a card with a higher clock Speed?