PDA

View Full Version : I just about foamed at the mouth when I saw this

Lord Xeb
August 21st, 2008, 08:37 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102768

1600 streaming processors!!!!!!

Canis familiaris
August 21st, 2008, 08:44 PM
This piece of jewel makes back of my hairs stand.
Awesome!!! :D

LaRoza
August 21st, 2008, 08:45 PM
Intel integrated for me...

Dremora
August 21st, 2008, 08:45 PM
Oh great, ATI Radeon is now officially the Atari Jaguar.

256+256=512-bit

Oh my god, people can't be this stupid.

Canis familiaris
August 21st, 2008, 08:46 PM
Intel integrated for me...
Due to their Open Source anf Fully Working Drivers?

LaRoza
August 21st, 2008, 08:48 PM
Due to their Open Source anf Fully Working Drivers?

Yes :-)

"Just works" is better than "works in theory"

Also, I have no need for such hardware. I prefer RAM and HDD improvements. As long as I can get the native resolution, I am happy.

Lord Xeb
I just wanted to point out this card. It is freaking crazy >_> I WANT ONE! Only because I want to take it apart and look at it and them play some crysis... too bad it is like 600 USD

Also, its core clock is 750-780 and a mem clock of 1800

Canis familiaris
Oh great, ATI Radeon is now officially the Atari Jaguar.

256+256=512-bit

Oh my god, people can't be this stupid.

:confused:

Yes People are very stupid to buy superior hardware at half the price. :roll:

BlackLLama
August 21st, 2008, 08:49 PM
ya thats for sure some l33tness

Canis familiaris
August 21st, 2008, 08:51 PM

Also, I have no need for such hardware. I prefer RAM and HDD improvements. As long as I can get the native resolution, I am happy.

Well that is true for me as well.

But still that does not stop me from craving (not enough to really want one though)

Dremora
August 21st, 2008, 08:53 PM

Nvidia is really the only serious GPU that works right in Linux or with X.org.

ATI's FGLRX driver only supports about 2/3rds of the GLX extensions that Nvidia does, and FGLRX also segfaults about halfway through GLXINFO.

ATI and Intel dump a lot of OpenGL acceleration onto the CPU, Nvidia doesn't do that.

Making Nvidia the only well performing video card on Linux, and the only major one that doesn't crash during testing.

Canis familiaris
August 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM

ATI's FGLRX driver only supports about 2/3rds of the GLX extensions that Nvidia does, and FGLRX also segfaults about halfway through GLXINFO.

ATI and Intel dump a lot of OpenGL acceleration onto the CPU, Nvidia doesn't do that.

Making Nvidia the only well performing video card on Linux, and the only major one that doesn't crash during testing.

Well Intel works pretty well in Linux. And Intel has not much choice either. It is a not discrete graphics processor like most nVidia or ATI so will require CPU usage.
ATi on the other hand, well their drivers suck in Linux but are a great choice for high end gaming for Windows platform (particularly this one)

linuxguymarshall
August 21st, 2008, 09:02 PM
damn......if only it was NVIDIA

Dremora
August 21st, 2008, 09:09 PM
I might hold off on an upgrade until Nvidia supports OpenGL 3.

Lord Xeb
August 21st, 2008, 09:18 PM
I heard about OpenGL 3. What makes it better than OGL2?

kjander
August 21st, 2008, 09:22 PM
I agree with LaRoza, although full OpenGL acceleration is nice, mostly since so much FOSS software runs through OpenGL, even if not necessarily 3d (using OpenGL for direct rendering)
As an aside, I wouldnt be surprised if the multi-stream processor GPUs form the basis for CPUs in the future. The processing power is impressive, and it doesnt seem like it would be too difficult to have an x86 interpreting front end feed the stream processors. Then, you could have multiple front ends... a POWERPC front end, an x86 front end, and an ARM front end all feeding large numbers of stream processors.. you'd be able to run virtually any software, natively.. how sweet would that be?

LaRoza
August 21st, 2008, 09:42 PM
What do you mean by "serious"?

I don't need OpenGL acceleration. I use xmonad, Opera, and thunar, and the rest is terminal.

Dremora
August 21st, 2008, 09:49 PM
What do you mean by "serious"?

I don't need OpenGL acceleration. I use xmonad, Opera, and thunar, and the rest is terminal.

By Serious, I mean, nobody interested in playing any off the shelf video game would pass over an Nvidia card.

ATI is acceptable on Windows because they do at least the bare minimum to make it a Direct3d capable card.

Intel is a bad choice for anything involving games from the last 5-6 years, I tested out my GMA 3100 and found that it couldn't even really handle COD 2.

On the plus, the GMA 3100 is the first Intel GPU that can handle Command & Conquer: Generals at decent speed (2003)

Canis familiaris
August 21st, 2008, 09:51 PM
ATI is acceptable on Windows because they do at least the bare minimum to make it a Direct3d capable card.

I know the ATI drivers of Linux suck but I would like to enquire How to come to conclude that ATI do "bare minimum"?

Lord Xeb
August 21st, 2008, 09:54 PM
hmm... interesting
I heard Intel is going to start getting into the GPU bizz.

Dremora
August 21st, 2008, 09:56 PM
I know the ATI drivers of Linux suck but I would like to enquire How to come to conclude that ATI do "bare minimum"?

ATI doesn't really fine tune their drivers, Catalyst has almost no extra features.

Nvidia's performance typically gets better and better, even on older cards they don't make anymore.

On Windows, Nvidia can do things like optimize your display brightness and color tones, you can activate a second display without restarting.

For ATI, it seems like the attitude is "Just get it good enough to sell", at least that's ben my experience with them.

There has only been one driver for the Radeon series in my laptop, it hasn't been updated since it launched in 2004.

Lord Xeb
August 21st, 2008, 10:36 PM
Wtf?